2020 Frugal Challenge - Page 133
Page 133 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3383123130131132133134135136143 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2283
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Been a no spend month other than gas and regular bills. The credit card has been getting out of control, still paid off every month but it needs to be put on ice.

Finally got the spare room turned into the pantry and organized. Its so nice to have all my food in one spot along with my large pots/pans, canning jars and such.

I've been dehydrating veggies and making "add liquids only" kits. corn bread, cheesy broccoli soup, scalloped potatoes, etc. I've tried them and really like the way they way they taste so I'm going to make up a bunch of each.

Bread the rabbits 2 weeks ago so in another 2 weeks we should have babies. Can't wait!
    2021 Goals:

January - Fruit Trees
    February - Insulate and moisture barrier in the crawl space and insulation in the attic
    March - Metal Roof installed and gutters
    Dig a pond - check into grant money
    New goat fencing - check into grant money

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DD and Dgd got here safely last night. It’s even worse than I imagined. Today we start online school. It is suppose to be in the 70s today I think. Not doing much else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Taking car in for maintenance today, very large waiting area so will stay as far away as possible and wear mask. Then household chores. Don't know about supper, I still have tuna chowder that hubby won't eat and tempted to heat that for myself and just let him fend for several days. Read the MD smoke detector laws for dad's house, complicated depending on year built. I need to buy a couple more and hire electrician. The battery ones were all installed yesterday.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sunny, but cold today. It was cold and windy last night while we were out. Dropped a drip pan at ds' house for his washer. Just pulled up, turned off the lights, dh ran up and put it in their garden area. Texted them about 10 minutes later to let them know it was there. Talked to dgd. She asked if dh's sister came over today. I said she did to eat chicken. Dgd said she wished she could see her. Poor girl. I told her we'd do a video chat next time. I called ds to see what size the washer was, but dgd called me back. She said it was 11 inches, maybe 10 inches. It was huge. Funny girl. I sure miss her. I don't think things will be the same after this. I don't think there will be any more grandma drops everything to run to the rescue. I've always done that because I love dgd. I will if I think it's for the best for dgd. If it's only because someone has a stomach ache, forget it. Deal with her.

Peg - I love my instant pot. Yesterday I cooked chicken leg quarters. About 45 minutes start to finish. I put them under the broiler to brown them and caramelize the bbq sauce. So tender and good. And yes, her family is supposed to be under quarantine too. None of this makes sense. Ds goes into work next week. So he wouldn't have been under quarantine for 14 days. It's crazy the way those people think. We really got into it a few weeks ago. I'm sure she's going to try something at Christmas. Ds will be coming to visit, but he will be driving.

Going to pick up an order from walmart. Then maybe go to aldi for the rest. Going to stop at the dollar store for some flowers. Taking sil to the cemeteries while she's here. Almost a year since mil passed.

Not sure what we'll eat tonight.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Had our first freeze last night but it's sunny and warming a little. No big plans for the day, staying in to stay warm. Going to look over the grocery ads, we don't urgently need anything, got cat food and milk earlier this week, but the store near me is having a baking sale... and chicken is 1.88/lb....

It sounds like everyone is busy, hope you all have a good day.

Thanksgiving dinner #1 tonight: bacon wrapped turkey, potatoes, gravy, stuffed acorn squash, and maybe the other half of the apple pie.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peg- That's very thoughtful to donate winter items to the pantry. Sometimes we go our separate ways as adults when it comes to relationships. It's what we need to do at that moment and sometimes it lasts that way and sometimes we may build it back up.

Jett- Glad you can get a drip pan for the washer. A video chat is a great idea.

Dlrcpa- I hope you didn't wait long for the car maintenance. This time of year is busy.

LL- The organized pantry sounds great. I wish I could have that. I really need a stockpile room or shelving but it may never happen. I keep dreaming....

GB- Sounds like a big change for you but I hope things turn out for the best. Online schooling can be difficult at times for teachers and students but hopefully, there is lots of help if needed.

I helped DS1 go through the totes in the basement that I labelled and he said that most of them are for DS2. Good Grief...The basement doesn't look like much will be taken to DS1's new place! And I was hoping to do a big purge...I'll get his things in the garage so he can put them in his friend's truck or get a rental van to move it all. I may have to put my car in the driveway with all of the stuff he ordered, A futon...A mattress and bed frame....A entertainment center for the 65" tv.....Bar stools..... coffee table.....

Has anyone heard about the trucking industry going on strike? Looks like they will strike Nov 26th. If they do, I'm sure product to the supermarkets will not be coming in! This will not be good......
    Last edited by rujerro; 11-13-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nice out but no sun.....
    GB sending a big hug....try not to stress...not good for your arthritis....
    jetts that quarantine doesn't make sense but usually when it comes to dil's it's there way or no way.......just keep on loving the little ones....it will work out...
    CH your dinner sounds delicious....
    rujerro you are right, people come and go in your life, some stay forever and others just past thru...I'm at the age where most of my friends have died....told my husband maybe that is why God put me at the teen center for 7 years....I've met some great young moms and we are great friends....they think of me as their mom...which is funny cause my daughter doesn't like me much at all....

So many people hurting right now due to pandemic....I can't get out to shop but am able to get a few things on the online auctions that the food pantry can use....I use to supply them with clothes detergent pods but I can't ask husband to do the coupon thing...he gets frustrated so I feel like I have to do something....I feel blessed that I am able to do so and wish I could do more..

Haven't heard about trucking strike...just what our country needs....thanks for the heads up....

LL wish I had a room where you could see everything you had instead of some things here and some there, under here, etc.

Our numbers are rising much too fast and of course we are still in the red, never got out of it...we are in rough shape here.....but people just don't care....I am really trying to stay positive but I do not see the light...it's easy to get depressed.....

Hope everyone has a great weekend....stay safe...stay healthy....

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rujerro, I hadn't heard anything about a trucking strike, but in looking it up it seems to be smaller groups of independent truckers, and not the major carriers. There was supposed to be a preliminary strike on Wednesday, Veteran's Day. If anything happened it didn't make the news. Very likely this is a lot of hot air, as the reason for it seems to be political. Stores are already heavily stocked for Thanksgiving and getting trucks in every day to prepare for Black Friday. A 3-4 day strike *after* the holiday is not going to have a huge impact.

BW, numbers are rising fast everywhere. I feel the same as you, but I have hope that the president-elect's new task force is at least trying to find a solution instead of ignoring it. Take care of yourself and your family. [hugs]
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I saw that stores are starting to limit things again. Target and walmart always had a limit of 1 for TP, paper towels and cleaning supplies. I tried to order some cleaning spray from target this week, and it's out of stock again. Aldi is good food wise so far. Just came from there. The paper, plastic food storage bags and cleaning supplies are starting to look low. No pumpkin. Glad I got mine last month. I didn't hoard it, but got enough for the things I'll be baking over the holidays.

On the news yesterday they said not to start hoarding anything. Just buy what you need for the present. In other words, supplies will be short again. I think we have enough stocked to make it through the winter. The only thing would be bread and milk. We don't use much of either. But I do have supplies to make bread if I needed to. Maybe time to perfect the breadmaking. We can always eat biscuits or tortillas, flat breads. I can do those. I have made English muffins before. Turned out okay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After I posted about dil's I realized I may have insulted some people. I'm sorry...not my intentions....I'm sure there are lots of dil's that are really great....mine is just different....I had a mil who disliked me because I took her baby away and I spent 24 years trying to pleas her....never worked....she disliked me to the day she died....in reality she should have taken a good look at her son....LOL
    Have a great day.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DLR, would your Hubs eat the chowder over toast or biscuits, with dumpings or pasta added, or with cheese melted in it? Hot sauce or other seasonings added?

Peg, I had the same situation. Husby was her only child. She tried to book us on guilt trips every chance she got. It never worked and that made her more frustrated because she was able to manipulate everyone but us. She did things like come to our house and start going through our dresser drawers, then cry and scream at us when we didn't allow it. Fun times. We eventually moved to South Dakota and never looked back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I am stuck with the tuna chowder. I add a lot of butter crackers. The recipe would be really good with HAM instead of tuna though. Next time.
    I have not mentioned the poison ivy is looking better but skin is actually peeling now. It really is more like a burn than anything else. Got the rose hip seed oil, really glad I only ordered the 1 oz bottle since it will last forever. Some mentioned an unpleasant smell but I don't detect that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

think people with difficult personalities come in all shapes and forms. hard though to deal with. at least when people are elderly you can think dementia has something to do with it. I do think you are suppose to fix your own issues from childhood etc. my inlaws were great mostly..the relationship outside of sil. whos bday was yesterday and I didn't remind anyone. and since she only said happy birthday to dh cus hers was in a few weeks cus she never said anything to our kids bdays. my dh said it is weird why I am the best son in laws..said there is not much completion lol one never see diff country and the other doesn't work. my sister doesn't care but my mom is old school. doesn't say anything to her. dh doesn't see her a lot just because normally we get together during the day etc. and my dad was so toxic so she is surprised when dh is nice and useful. he does like when she says that is not the hubby job lol since he works all day. he just laughs.

tuna chowder wouldn't go far either here. ds started eating tuna in the last year but that is it. went nuts on the cheap favoured ones I got. dh has been off all week so puttering and lots of tv. of course always housework, and moving somethings. we never painted our bedroom and has weird stucco on the couple of walls not paneled. realized can just mix leftover white paint with some of the yellow from kitchen to get a very pale yellow. dh said ok but not this week. have to do things bit at times cus move furniture etc.

he got a new to him 3d printer keeping him busy last couple of days. love him but 24/7 togetherness.. he had coffee outside w friend and ran errands. was raining a lot for the last 24hrs ..snow up higher. one ski hill open now. we are going out to pub a couple of blocks away for dinner kids have leftovers or swanson tv dinners.

we have covid restrictions again but doesn't really effect us except scouts online again. but going that way cus bad weather to meet outside. basically one culture in area cases way higher then anywhere else and cases are up everywhere. so stay in your area etc. party buses and limos not allowed to run. there was lots of weddings etc indoor socializing big groups etc. they know where cases are coming from and it isn't restaurants or other places with proper rules. they are not trying to do mandatory masks but... always the ones who won't.

boobooed on watching my bank account so got a fee ..well rarely happens so.. ordered stuff online for xmas. no real plans except usual groceries etc. need to get dh to put some nails in so I can get kitchen decor back up. teens being teens..one nag about cleaning and the other schoolwork. end of term.

I would put a time limit on the room or just get rid of somethings but if it is sentimental stuff..that is harder...you can say well if ds moves back then he has his own stuff. would say get rid of stuff in the basement though. remember dh didn't move out until 28 ..his parents sold their house a few years later.. so much of his stuff in it and his sisters who was long gone. his mom was come get it or part of garage sale. a lot of my stuff had to go into my mom basement (not a finished one more like a cellar plenty of room) when I moved into dhs since he had his place packed. so when I got the stuff or donated ..my mom still reminds me there is an old ikea desk in the corner I left.. .she is always should hire people to get rid of stuff before I go. I say mom the house will come down so we wouldn't be getting rid of anything that we can't donate..cus nothing down there is donation worthy.. cat pee etc. wet. duplex zoned so her house would come down so fast. ours would too and it is way better shape but not big enough for people. value is land here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Filled a bag w/ food for scouts pickup today. Good chance to look thru pantry and see what is needed. Hubby bitching about neighbor (politics) but I told him neighbor cleared the shared driveway of leaves not once but TWICE this week and I appreciated that because otherwise leaves would all end up in our yard since we are at bottom of hill. Saved me a lot of work and I have nothing to complain about. I hope that shuts him up for a while.
    Not going to dad's this weekend since meeting appraiser there on Tuesday, that is soon enough. Yard work and house work here. Rest and listen to audiobook later. We ate leftover beef burgundy last night, guess I am eating tuna chowder tonight. I hope everyone is well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peg— I am very fortunate to have two DILS. One is more about herself and the other, who is an only child raised by a single parent) is more loving. They both, however, take care of my boys and DGC. And then I have the sorry SIL. That’s another story.

DD and Dgd arrived fine. Dd is getting prepared for divorce even though SIL isn’t aware. Dgd has had one day of her online class and loves it. We are going to watch Dgs play soccer today and celebrate birthdays. It’s suppose to be in the 80 s here with rain. We need the rain desperately. Have a good weekend.