2020 Frugal Challenge - Page 134
Page 134 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3484124131132133134135136137144 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 2283
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rainy today though we didn't get much this morning, more coming tonight. Could be severe in places, but not here. Not going out. Supposed to video conference with friends this afternoon. We used to have pot luck dinners, but you know....

Want to look over grocery ads and make a list. Would like to go Monday or Tues for sale items and Thanksgiving stuff. Local store is having a promotion, use rewards points for holiday items like cream cheese, gravy, coffee, rolls, whipped cream, even ham or turkey and get it free. Looked at my last receipt and I have a LOT of points. Supposed to be warmer next week and I'd like to smoke the big pork shoulder I got this summer, so we have pulled pork for sandwiches. My wood barrel is full.

Not sure what is for dinner. I had fish in the plan but didn't get any this week. Hasn't been on sale in a while. Maybe it will be tuna salad sandwiches, lol. It would be a good night for a soup, too.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dlrcpa- I agree that the neighbor was so generous with time and effort to rake the leaves. Nice gesture and hopefully your DH sees it as a blessing.

LL- My CC has been much higher than I would like as well. But I know that I've been stockpiling and so I have to make peace with it and let it go.

CH- We have a pork shoulder smoking today since it was a great price. DH was in the mood and put in the effort at 2 am, so we all have a wonderful meal.

We attempted to celebrate DS2's birthday with breakfast and a visit to the bowling/arcade. It was a fail. With the governor giving us a level 3, businesses can only have 25% capacity....The breakfast place had a 90 minute wait so we went someplace else....The arcade was full and we waited for 40 minutes, hoping to get inside, but gave up and went home.

We ventured out to Costco, hoping to find TP. We were in luck! They had TP and towels, limit of 1.

I have to make reservations to go to the gym now. It's limited to 25 people per hour.

I looked online about food/supply shortages. We have limits here as well and some states have announced on tv about shortages. Europe is having the same issues and people are stocking up. It also mentioned inflation and basically, I didn't feel optimistic after watching it!!

We took DS2 to Barnes but the cookbook he was after was sold out. Maybe he can order online. I was thinking about puzzle books a few days ago and got myself one. I have never seen some of the new puzzles and quite enjoy them. I had DH try to help me with one about fishing, just to get his memory going.

I was flipping through the cookbooks at Barnes and saw a recipe for pumpkin bread..Of course, my unlucky self keeps trying to find a good recipe and I think this is the one. I used maple syrup in it and it came out fluffy. I did leave it in the oven longer as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ruj sorry about DS2 birthday. Hope he can count his blessings some other way.
    I made space in the main freezer for the turkey. Pulled out ground turkey and kidney beans for chili today and to make space. Going to grocery store this morning, down to 1 egg on hand. Hubby has hired the teenagers to stack the wood that was split last weekend. He had to buy another rack and lash 2 together, the single rack tipped over once it was loaded up. Hopefully they get it done before rain starts later. Have a good day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It’s cooler here this morning. Had a great time with kids and grandkids last night. Got to finish the laundry today. Taking Dgd to get fish for the aquarium and buy bubble tea. Got to get a button for DS2’s pants and sew it on. Brought home 3 lbs. of jalapeños to can candied jalapeños for DIL. Probably do that this week.

Rujerro—I know what a disappointment it was when everything is shutting down again. We have to be creative and frugal even more so in this time. We all know how to do that. It’s the younger generation that I feel sorry for.

Registered User miteigenenhaenden's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's unusually warm here. We were in the garden with T-shirts. This is wet and cold in November. Today the sun shines. Lovely!
    Best regards, miteigenenhaenden
    || www.miteigenenhaenden.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The seasons are changing. We have gone from 70F to 30F and back again in just a couple days. It has been sunny, windy, cloudy, and wet, warm and cool in the past 48 hours. I need to take my wind chimes down, they were clattering all night.

Things should close down here, but the people who make those decisions don't see that as a priority. Schools that were doing in-person learning are going to at-home again after the thanksgiving break, though. I'm sorry for the kids and the parents going through this. Change and disruption is not easy, but I think the kids will grow up stronger and with more coping skills.

No big plans for today. Have to fetch the paper off the lawn and see what coupons, if any are useful. I think I've used one in the 2 months I've had the subscription. Got the usual tidying up to do.

Dinner is either thai style pork meatballs, or beef lumpia, depending on which I feel like making. I think the pork needs to be used first. There's a gingerbread cookie mix that might happen, too.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that sucks for your ds2 ..hopefully at least he can find his cookbook. maybe a fancy breakfast at home? here the arcades etc to limited people but you buy tickets online for a time slot. even the churches that reopened like my friends do online tickets free of course to sign up people for services within the limits. all have time in between for cleaning. some churches don't but then don't have a lot of people.

last day of dh week off not that we did much. we went to pub last night instead of friday. friend w grand kids etc came over for coffee cus more people looking at house they have for sale. same friend as always her dd is friends w mine. they already did mcds and rain and too cold to play in the park. at least sunny today for now. mom just phoned that ds can come rake leaves so will send both kids. exercise !

turned the leftover pot roast and veggies into beef veggie soup not that the family is that fond of it so most will be frozen. no idea what is for dinner. lots to choose from but will see. dh didn't get bread and creamo yesterday so need that today. watching our shows.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rujerro - Most of mine has been stocking up and vehicle repairs. All needed stuff but it's time to say I'm good. I have at least a 4 month supply in the pantry, it's hunting season, in 2 months I'll be starting my spring seeds and in 3 months I'll be planting lettuce and cool weather plants in the garden. So I should be good for a while.

We are not having lockdowns in Mississippi and from a nonpolitical viewpoint I'm not worried if we do. The last one didn't change my lifestyle anyhow. I haven't been to the store in 2 weeks and no intention of going anytime soon. I have 10 boxes of shelf stable milk plus enough powdered to make 22 gallons, canned, frozen and dehydrated fruits and vegetables. I still have sweet potatoes in the garden along with banana peppers, peas, tomatoes collard greens, cayenne peppers, and lima beans. Friday I froze a gallon bag of cherry tomatoes and the plants are loaded. I'm just hoping we don't get a frost anytime soon. I have set up some automatic deliveries - 80 rolls of toilet paper every other month, pre/probiotic every month. I'm thankful that I have a 3 bedroom house and just the 2 of us living here so I could make one room a pantry.

It's fall in Mississippi and the leaves have started to fall. That will be the main battle on the home front for the next month. Also need to do some winter prepping in the garden.

Not sure is I mentioned - last weekend my friend and I dug up some of her wild garlic. I planted most of what she gave me, dehydrated some and kept some fresh. That stuff is amazing!! I now have a forever patch of garlic and if for some reason it dies I can go get more because the patch is HUGE. I would take 2 weeks to dig it all up.

Not much else going on on the home front. Just need to catch up on the housework from the last 6 months of canning and gardening.
    2021 Goals:

January - Fruit Trees
    February - Insulate and moisture barrier in the crawl space and insulation in the attic
    March - Metal Roof installed and gutters
    Dig a pond - check into grant money
    New goat fencing - check into grant money

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ll sounds like you are well stocked. and everyone w garlic! buying farm garlic is very expensive here. we watched bad boys 2 and now bad boys for life dvd from library. watched bad boys first one yesterday..first 2 on netflix. action and mindless our speed this weekend esp since dh keeps falling asleep.

well didn't ever get the kitchen decor up or shelves measured. but didn't rain so mom called for ds to rake leaves so sent both kids over for exercise..mom used that opportunity to get rid of some stuff. ds has a candelabra now and for some reason tins of smoked smelt..he liked it. not cheap stuff. no idea why my mom bought it..she doesn't eat meat.

took the bowl of apples from our tree ..too small to peel so made crockpot apple sauce..just used immersion blender to hide that the skins were on. and a crisp w cranberries. the oats smell a bit off since expired feb so put the rest out for birds. kids not drinking juice so the defrosted lemonade concentrate has been sitting so made the mousse like thing..condensed sweetened milk, cool whip w concentrate. my pantry is deep but not wide so easy to lose stuff there went though the one shelf of baking stuff to find brown sugar. nope need some so ended up cleaning it out wiping etc. slowly cleaning reno dust. will be more in kitchen so not in a hurry and things are sealed. found some dry black beans so will soak in crockpot when is clean.

hotdogs for dinner for them and frozen mini quiche for me. dh went for groceries. dishwasher going second time. work tomorrow and think will get chinese since I am the area for dinner. suet feeder restocked.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pick up Target pantry order this morning, they had $10 off $50 again. Salad for my supper, don't know about hubby. Tomorrow need to leave real early to meet appraiser at dad's house 9 am. I made & froze muffins Saturday night for portable breakfasts. Very windy last night so all leaves are down. Depending on when neighbors clean up their leaves, could be finished soon. Bottom of hill so everything higher up blows down to us. Wood is all stacked, there is a lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Chimney sweeps coming this morning. It is a father and son and they dress in Mary Poppins style. Dgd will get a kick out of them. Cutting coupons and making a middle eastern dish, Shashuka, for dinner. Have a good day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sunny and bright here, warming up to be a beautiful day. Suggested to DH that we go for a walk later. He's not feeling well, thinks it was something he ate, but we had the same food yesterday so unless he snuck something into his office I don't know what it could be. Suggested he have some toast and water to settle his stomach.

Going shopping this morning, want to get out before they announce new covid guidelines today. Could be nothing, could be a run on TP. One of the big chains here is having a baking sale, sugar, flour, choco chips, eggs, etc. Aldi has butter for 1.79 chicken for 1.69 -- though there might not be any chicken left. Everyone has apples on sale.

Need to clean fridge drawers, too. I can see the bottom and something has made a gooey puddle. Threw some paper towels in it last night and will deal with it later.

Leaves are mostly down here. Every now and then you see one that is still yellow or orange. Neighbor to the left of me has one with yellow leaves that is pretty this morning, rest of the street is bare. Our burning bush barely started to turn red before it lost all its leaves. My outdoor mum is still blooming, as is a silly snapdragon.

Dlr, hope your appraiser visit goes smoothly with no surprises.

Dinner is chicken, roasted cauliflower, and roasted sweet potatoes from our garden.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy to see the sun too. It's been one of those weekend. Dh's brother is sick. Still waiting on his covid test results. Dh is still not feeling well, actually feeling worse. May have to go back in for another test.

We started on the master bedroom this weekend. Moved the mattress to the living room floor. Dh cut away a piece of the carpet and will start screwing down the floor. It squeaks really bad. But it all got stalled when he started feeling sick. Not sure if it's the flu or just a reaction to the dust and junk in the room. Hoping it's just a reaction. I may go in and clean out the closet. Got to get this project done. I won't be able to handle the mattress in the living room too long. We'll have lots to throw out or donate. Dgd is sad that she's not here to help. She said she wants a hard floor in the room. That' what we were planning, with a nice area rug. She can help decorate. I'll let her help pick out new curtains and the rug and maybe a new blanket for grandma. She's so upset that she can't come see us.

Dh saw that one of the walmarts was out of TP and paper towels. I was able to get a pack of paper towels and some toilet paper with my pickups. People were coming out that store yesterday with TP, so they must have restocked. I think we're good for a while.

Not sure about dinner. Dh may not want anything or just eat some soup. If that's the case, I may go to panera. I have a free meal there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stopped at Meijer this morning before work, the parking lot was packed and lots of people in the store. I noticed that the toilet paper aisle looked almost empty. We have a new 3 week Covid guideline in our state and I think people are starting to panic again. I wanted to stop because they had sales on winter boots and hats which I need both. I have never worn winter hats and started to a couple of years back but just bought one at the dollar store. Not a nice looking hat and I've always hated it. Got one I like today, regularly $18 for $7. I also bought a pair of boots that I can tuck my pants in for $15. I have a pair I use in the yard but it is more of a barn type style boot and very cumbersome, not good at all to drive in. Since we are predicated to get a lot of snow this year I thought I better get the boots because I will never find them again for that price. We have lots of LO to eat up so will work on that for the next few days.

Lately things are getting really bad here and I now know multiple people with Covid or are quarantining. No one I have had contact with fortunately. Hopefully this will make it a little more real for some members of my family who interpret the guidelines quite differently than I do.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Stocked up on vegetables, chicken, and frozen fish at Aldi, even got a duck! That will be a nice change of pace this winter. They had TP on the shelves. At the grocery store I got a free 10lb bag of potatoes, package of chicken stock, and pack of apple turnovers with rewards points! They did not have the bullion I wanted, but I may be able to get it after the holiday. Lots of TP at the grocery store, but most was not brand name.

DH still not feeling well. I think he needs to eat something but he won't. He saw that the milk "expired" on Sat and he is convinced he is dying from food poisoning. May skip cooking dinner and just have leftovers if he is not going to eat.

New covid restrictions limit gatherings to 10 people or less, close bars, restaurants and event spaces at 10pm, and require masks indoors unless actively eating or drinking. Same sort of thing we've been doing all summer, just extended until mid January now.

Jetts, the floors in our house squeak, too. DH can't wait to get the carpet replaced so he can screw them down. Moving a mattress is a big job. Hope your DH is feeling better soon.

Hope everyone else is having a good day.

Use it up, Wear it out,