2020 Frugal Challenge - Page 141
Page 141 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4191131138139140141142143144151 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 2283
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning. Stopped at grocery for 10 minutes to grab sale produce, eggs, cheese before coming to dad's house. HVAC inspection/maintenance today. Need to buy gas on the way home, gone up 10 cents from a week ago. I addressed cards (relatives) yesterday, have enough stamps to mail these. I let hubby do his friends' cards, will need more stamps for that but who knows if it will even get done. Have a good day.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Jetts, glad your DH is feeling better. Hope BIL is recovering, too.

Just above freezing here now that the sun is up. Sunny, at least. No plans to go farther than the mailbox.

Made a big batch of chicken and turkey stock yesterday. Made turkey and veg soup for dinner and then put 3 quarts of stock in the freezer for later. Going to pick over the bones for the feral cats. House cats are too fussy to eat it.

Need to pay bills, and write a couple of holiday cards this week.

Sausage and baked squash for dinner.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My mom had surgery so I am now one of her caregivers until she is better. That is keeping me busy with everything else. Dh and I did manage to get the tree up on Sunday and I decorated the house for Christmas. I really don't do much at all but just enough to make it look Christmasy. I realized that I have not bought anything new for Christmas decorations in over 20+ years. I look at things when I'm shopping and really would like to add a few new things but just can't get my frugal self to fork over the money. Especially this year, no one is going to see my house anyway. Caught up a bit with house cleaning today. It snowed last night and is very windy today so I am glad I am home and don't have to go out. I have pulled the Christmas cards out but I just am not in the mood so I doubt that I will start those today. Chili dogs and fries for dinner.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Morning started off good. We decided to call dgd this morning. She’s always in a good mood and very talkative in the morning. Had a good visit with her. She misses us and we really miss her. We are going to go do a window visit on Friday. I’m tired of her mom’s rules. Don’t know when we’ll see her again, because once Dh goes back to work, he could still spread the virus, even though he’s over it. I’m trying to find out if there is truth to that claim. In that case, she shouldn’t see her side of the family. Her bils both work with the public. How is that okay? She just makes up her own rules to fit what she wants.

Sewed a little on the quilt. Ran out of bobbin thread, so it was a good stopping point. Not sure how I finished a row. Usually happens in the middle. You’d think I’d have it done with so much down time, but I think I’m more depressed about this situation.

They are going to try to take bil off the ventilator today. He’s clostrophobic and starts freaking out and trying to pull all the tubes out. They are going to FaceTime his son to see if that will help calm him down. He’s doing well, but will be very weak. Praying he cooperates today.

Looking forward to Friday. Going to go buy fruit. Tried to order some and it was not good. Dh is on a vegetable kick. I made a pot roast with carrots and potatoes and he’s finished it off. Usually doesn’t eat the veggies.

Last night we got some burgers and ate in the car and watched people come and go. It was good to get out, even if it was sitting in the car. Not sure what we’ll do tonight. May go look at Christmas lights or go for a drive this afternoon. For now, I’m going to go sew.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jett- Glad to hear the quarantine is over on friday. Did your BIL do well after being taken off the ventilator?

Rabbit- Your mom is lucky to have you following the surgery. I know what you mean about decorating just enough to make it look festive. Since I've left the living room mantle decorated year-round, I try to buy something fresh to smell Christmasey....I'm expecting the table centerpiece to arrive and since DH hasn't trimmed the outdoor evergreens for me to use, I may get a cinnamon wreath. The store has some left and the frugal side of me doesn't want to spend the $ but the smell is heavenly and it won't drop pine needles....

DS2 made an Asian dish for dinner. Basically, chicken, mushrooms, soba noodles, garlic, ginger and green onions in a homemade sauce....It was a bit sweet for me but the overall flavor was good. He said he will skip the hoisin sauce and just use soy sauce and chicken broth next time to avoid the sweetness.

I vacuumed and painted DS1's room and texted him to ask what things he wanted to keep or donate. I tried moving the furniture but decided that when DH gets time, we will move the furniture together. There was a primitive table in there that I was going to donate but DH decided he found a use for it....

I purchased window film to put on our windows to be somewhat shatterproof. I told DH that I can put it on his car windows since he parks outside and people have been breaking in. I still have to cover the downstairs windows with it. That is for another day.....

I drove to the post office to mail the ebay pkgs. I tried putting the pkgs in the metal bin that pulls out but it was jammed. So I walked to the counter area where packages were piled up and threw mine on top. The place was super busy. I spied priority boxes and envelopes in piles on the counter and took some as the place that they are stored was empty. Years ago, this post office was so busy that we had to take a number to get served. My children were young and we waited in the car. We would jump out and go inside to see what number they were on. A hour had passed ad we had a ways to go....A guy gave me his number and walked out. That worked great as we only waited about 15 minutes more....THAT was the day I decided to mail gift cards and send packages online from websites...

I made coconut lime muffins and they turned out great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ruj that reminds me to put stamps on the dozen cards I have ready to go.
    Well hubby's COVID test came back not negative, so I guess that means positive. He stood there and griped about it and I finally said fine, stay away from me. He has had sniffles and tiredness for 3 days but so far that is his only complaint. He has gone around the outside world since COVID began, wearing a mask but otherwise did not cut back his schedule of activities. I figured this would happen but he does not take orders from me. I feel fine, plan to stay home next 14 days except dog walking. Groceries should be OK except for milk. I had already bought powdered creamer & milk which I am willing to use. Otherwise he can figure out how to order a gallon of milk delivered.
    Parents' house HVAC checkup revealed some repairs needed which is not surprising. 2 heat pumps, 1 defrost cycle won't run, replace flexible duct in the ceiling and insulation on outside units. They have to order parts and come back. Either brother will have to be there or it will wait for 2 weeks for me to come back.
    Turkey soup for supper, maybe bake a cake. I hope everyone else is well.
    Last edited by dlrcpa; 12-02-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cold here, but above freezing. Only a little sun with a chance for rain tonight or tomorrow. Looks very grey and wintery.

Jetts, glad to hear your BIL is coming off the ventilator. Hoping you all recover soon. Take care of yourself.

Dlr, sorry to hear about hubby's test. Hope you don't get it. Good thing you are prepared with dry milk.

Rabbit, we won't put much up here, either. A few lights and a small tree. I will put a small decorative quilt on the back of the couch. Found some festive paper plates and napkins I bought on clearance last year. We won't have visitors or entertain. I love looking at all the bright sparkly new decorations, but don't have room for more stuff. Got rid of some this spring when we did the basement. Hope your mom recovers soon.

Rujerro, your centerpiece sounds lovely. Love the smell of fresh greens, but will have to make do with candles here. Cats would just make a mess.

I have been home for 2 weeks as of today. It went faster than I expected. Have to go to the drug store today for a prescription. There is 1 I cannot get in the mail. I have been telling DH to write stuff on the list if he wants anything. Going to swing by Aldi or the grocery store for milk, bread, and fresh vegs while I am out.

Planning fried fish, l/o beans&rice, and swiss chard for dinner.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No sun today, but that is okay. Got most of our Christmas shopping done last night. Had to pay shipping for one item. Dh is going to target to pickup one order and then Walmart for some groceries. He is craving vegetables. Hope they are good. Still have a couple of things to get.

Ds#2 will be coming for Christmas. He’s bringing his other dog. We still have one. She’ll stay with us til next Christmas. He has some training and then will be deployed for 6 months. She’s a good dog. I’ll have to retrain her.

Talked to dgd again this morning. She’s so happy and talkative in the morning. She showed us all of her school work. Going to work on her quilt today and make some more masks.

Dinner will be something with veggies and rice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Feeling overwhelmed. Ironed today and went to grocery store. Got to pay bills and get cards done. Leftovers tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dlr, hope you continue to feel good. Sorry to hear that your husband tested "not negative".

Gb, hope you have a better day tomorrow.

jettsmom, glad that your husband has recovered and hope you are feeling ok. Hope your BIL recovers soon and can come home.

Ch, were you quarantining?

Had to stop at Meijer on the way home from work, I forgot that I wanted to make spinach/artichoke mac and cheese to take some to my moms tomorrow. Didn't have half of the ingredients so it was a necessary stop. While I was there they had poinsettia's on sale for 5.99 so picked up one for my mom and myself. I don't think I have ever bought one for myself, every so many years I am gifted one but this year I decided to spoil myself. Now I just have to keep it alive.
    I love having my tree up, it is one of my favorite things about Christmas. Just having it lit up in the morning and evening makes me happy. It's an artificial one so that and a pine candle, I'm all set.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hugs, GB. Ironing and grocery run is a lot for one day. Take it easy this evening.

Rabbit, only self-quarantine. Things continue to get worse here and I am immuno-compromised. Stock-up today will get me through another 2 weeks at home.

Crazy woman at Aldi today was not wearing a mask and talking loudly on the phone. Got in line behind me, like right behind me 3 ft away. I moved, she moved up again. I went around the front of my cart to get away from her and push it back toward her. I couldn't think of a polite way to tell her to mask up and I didn't want a confrontation.

Jetts, if DH was sick I am sure his body has depleted nutrients. The vegetables will be good for him. A men's multivitamin might help, too.

I stocked up today after going to the pharmacy. Canned vegs, a few frozen items, bread, eggs, TP, milk and cereal for DH. Cheese, brownie mix, and PB on sale. DH didn't complain about what I bought, but he hinted there were too many leftovers and I should cook less. Really he's cut way back on the amount he eats, at least at the table. He can still polish off a giant bag of cheese doodles without noticing.

Need to finish cleaning the chicken and turkey bones for the outdoor cats.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope everyone is doing ok and feeling better.....
    My friend's father came home from the hospital and is on oxygen. They really didn't think he was going to make it but he's a tough old devil....My favorite mailman also has the virus and haven't heard how he is doing....my friend said it really hit her Dad who has health problems....not sure where he picked it up....that is the scary part....
    Jett glad you got to talk to dgd....she sounds like she is a joy to be around....
    My son gave me a beautiful glass shelf unit with doors....didn't look good where I thought it would go so had to move things around to make it fit and look good....... I washed all my crystal and it looks good.....
    Wrapping gifts and trying to get ready for Christmas....
    Stay healthy....stay safe....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That sucks what is a not negative..you don't have it enough? like when you know you are pregnant but not enough hormones in blood to test? I hope everyone is feeling better. more allergies here w me so long season this year though we did get a lot of rain in Nov like normal. so time flies when you are on meds.

has been sunny and frost in the morning. had a adventure w car ..rare occasion meeting coworker early yesterday.. car frosted over..turned it on ..went to trunk to get ice scraper..car self locked of course w purse cell keys inside. had to bang on dd window to get her up ..cat did it more then me. of course me leaning on the doorbell didn't do anything. old plaster and lathe and she is in the farthest corner downstairs in the small house. so got dh to come w his key to unlock the car. so it sat and ran in front of the house for 30mins at least warm and defrosted. at least was gassed up on sunday lol. this morning waited until sun did the job of defrosting. in the 40s here this week.

just a week of errands and work.. follow up on moms cancer surgery all good 6mth checkup. went to other library and looked in the mystery paperbacks which I hadn't for months ..well lots of new ones. that is one thing about cozy mysteries a lot of new ones each month so between holds and those have about 20 books from that library plus dvds etc. since there is more lockdown for covid at the moment well gives you an excuse not to do housework lol grocery shopped today and got chinese food so that was dinner. besides my reg basics milk,cheese, bread etc. some donuts half price little brie, and mini cupcakes. plus a 3 pack of romaine lettuce for salads since salad packs are $5 nope. picked up a frozen mac n cheese and bacon wrapped italian sausage to try for dinner tomorrow.

I love the smell of pine but dh is allergic so no go inside. time to take my fall stuff down and put up xmas stuff. I have a cupboard of basic stuff and then the extras in the attic ..guys got most of the lights up on sunday but there is a pile on the dining room table..you know what happens when you have a clear table... suggested ds to put them up today since no school but didn't happen when I was at work. rest of the week is just more errands and usual housework etc really need to start on xmas cards and package stuff for overseas. at least stuff I ordered for xmas starting to come in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning. I think hubby too embarrassed to just say positive for COVID. I heard him on the phone later saying positive test. He had to tell several people so they would know. He still has normal temperature and feels OK. I feel fine. Tired of him bossing me around already - do this, do that. It will be a long 2 weeks.
    Made turkey soup yesterday and froze the quart left over. Have a lot of potatoes to use up, 8 lbs for $3. Candied fruit peel for fruitcake arrived by mail. I have the other stuff on hand, probably make today or tomorrow. Try to be productive today, yesterday had too many interruptions going on.
    I hope everyone is well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Learning how to do online school with Dgd. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. It’s cold here and cloudy. Not doing much today. Salmon and veggies tonight for dinner.