2020 Frugal Challenge - Page 143
Page 143 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4393133140141142143144145146 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 2283
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone. I still feel fine, have a test scheduled in a week. Everything is booked up around here. He actually feels OK now, several days of sniffle/sneeze/fatigue. I agree we hope we get off as easily as this. We set up his breakfast and lunch arrangements separately. I will just have to fix his supper on a tray. Coffeemaker and minifridge in basement for him, I use the kitchen and do without coffee. He figured out the grocery delivery process and is ordering. He questioned that I wrote "celery" on the list, yes it is a vegetable although he never eats it.
    Peg, glad your labs are good. I hope everyone else is well.
    It rained during the night but clearing now, colder. Have fresh spinach and 2+ dozen eggs, canned beets. Maybe just salad for supper. Told hubby he was allowed to use the grill if he wanted steaks. I never touch that grill. We have plenty of food, I just wasn't planning to waitress all the time and shift my clothes and toiletries for 2 weeks. Still have to walk the dog of course. Health dept lady said OK, just don't stop & talk to people.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cold and rainy day here. Made ginger cookies, and then cranberry walnut muffins to take advantage of the hot oven. Cookies were just meh, but I will be mailing them out, some to my sister & BIL, some to a cookie loving friend. Going to make a few different kinds.
    Make America Kind Again.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dlr, your spinach salad sounds good. I like that with beets, or canned mandarins.

Jo, your cookies and muffins sound delicious. I've been wanting to make ginger cookies, but not sure I have enough powdered ginger. I wonder if I could sub raw ginger, that would really jazz them up.

Cool, but sunny here. DH and I took a short walk before the sun went down. I made mocha crinkles,with a little added cinnamon. First dozen is out. Chopped up vegs while they cooked.

Dinner is baked chicken and mixed root vegs. Potato, carrot, sweet potato, turnip, baby onions, and brussels sprouts. Normally a thanksgiving dish, but I'm spreading out the fancy dishes this year.

Hope everyone's weekend is going well.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cookies sound good....I need to get baking pumpkin bread for the craft exchange....decided will do cocoa bombs and pumpkin bread and put in those cute little ceramic baking pans that I have a ton of....IF my cocoa bomb molds get here in time....I think they are coming from China....not happy about that but didn't realize until husband told me after I ordered....I try not to order from China and Mexico...

Dropped off the mattress and grandson is thrilled with it....middle grandson is coming by Monday to "shop" from my freezer and pantry.

Food pantry was thrilled to get the toilet paper....Not so much about the yougurt cups......I only sent one case of the 16 oz yougurt cups and about 600 of the 20 oz. They are short on space I understand....just take it home with you and put in YOUR garage until the lunches start up again....I still have 4000 in MY garage....working non profit for 20 years I learned you don't turn down something you know you are going need....I still have that mentality.....probably why I have so much stuff...but, I'm working thru it....

Found a young friend who has a beautiful dining room table and I asked her if she would like some tablecloths and placemats and she said yes....have two boxes full....doesn't even put a dent in my stash....sad....will drop off this weekend....my daughter doesn't even own a dining room table or a kitchen table! My grandson and girlfriend is not into nice tables....they are minimalists....other grandson's roommate is a pain in butt but they also don't have a table....so trying to give to people I know will use and appreciate...

Husband ran into Krogers for me to take advantage of the buy five get five off....needed All detergent so got two of them and got my free cheese for being a good customer...also got butter for $1.99....husband came out to car and he had a coupon for $2 off two butter so he went back in and got two more and had me clip a coupon so he could get his bakery cookies for $2...I really miss going to the grocery store....

Leftover pizza for dinner tonite....

Staying in and trying to stay safe....hope everyone is feeling good and staying safe....have a great weekend....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dlrcpa- Online shopping/delivery is great for times like these and it sounds like it's working for you both.

Jo- The cookies sound yummy and I should make some as well. I make muffins alot and the new allrecipes magazine has oatmeal muffins with different flavor combos so I'll have to try those.

Peg- You're so sweet to give items to friends and family. Housing 4000 cups must take up some space and I like your idea of the pantry members housing them. What if the cups mysteriously appeared on their doorstep? I'm sure someone would have to give them a home.....

I made baked mushroom chicken & rolls for dinner and used up alot of old stuff- like rolls that expired in August. DH ate them and never knew they were expired. Tomorrow may be breaded chicken.

DH is going over DS1's place tomorrow to help install a microwave. I reserved tickets to the gym but will cancel 1 by emailing the director.

DS2 has finals this week. Let's hope he passes all of them. I told him to contact the online tutor if he needs help and he said he thinks he is ok. Gosh, I hope so.

DH's BIL is having heart surgery on Monday. The heart pump finally got approved. The unexpected news is that both sides of the heart needs a pump before being on a transplant list. So, Monday he'll have induced coma and the first surgery. In a few days, he will have the next surgery. If all goes well, they will bring him out of coma, put him on heavy meds and he will stay for 3 weeks before starting rehab. I understand he has lost 40 lb and is ready to do this. My SIL says she doesn't want to think of any of it until Monday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That must be frustrating dlc, I wouldn't want to be a waitress either or no coffee! we keep several options here lol backups of backups. that will be fun for your granddaughter jett. fingers crossed for your sons tests!

Hope everyone is doing well. Ginger cookies sound yummy! I made a ginger shortbread once w 3 diff gingers in it. powder, candied and ..can't remember. a long time ago.

you are a blessing to others bookworm! l like rujerro suggestion lol yes it is pricey for lettuce but normally 4.99 at other place. but reg romaine isn't that cheap so better buy. and prewashed etc. and some nutrients compared w iceberg. dh is picky so doesn't really eat other salads or much veggies. yes dd can get a job or do something just doesn't seem to be motivated to do much. online courses etc nothing.

ch there is a few good series chronicle mysteries, mystery 101, crossword, darrow & darrow, gourment but they have stronger actors. makes a big difference. aurora teagarden.. at least they make more of them. others are ok. or they don't make them anymore. and yes lots are shot up here lol the signed sealed delivered movies are more heartwarming w bit of mystery.

last day of sun for the week so the boys put up rest of outside lights and inflatable dragon in the tree. was like 55 today will be high 40s and rain rest of the week. he met friend for outside coffee. I finally defrosted the downstairs upright freezer. a hammer helps lol ..do have enough food for a bit ..then I wonder why I spent $200 or more a week lol then hear ds in the kitchen at 11pm.. that is why...lol went shopping yesterday w my mom and got $1 cans of hunt sauce deals. $100 later ..lunchmeat is so expensive now...and really only got some lunch meat and 2 packs of good bacon $5 each. they had special on eggs med 30pk for 4.99 half price which normally wouldn't get so many but at that price same as the reg dz I normally get. no butter deals yet here. saw becal butter for 3.99 on sale but it is plant based..like why pay for that when same ingredients as margarine which is way cheaper!

pulled out burgers and hotdogs for dinner. 2 leftover veggie burgers from dd grad months ago for crows.. plus frost bit shrimp ring. a bag of peas was a sold block so pulled that out so hopefully ok..not that old but sometimes are bad inside. plus 2 small marinated pork loins.. dinner tomorrow. and a container of homemade pasta sauce for monday. so crows will be happy for a few days. raccoons knocked on the door yesterday.. had been forgetting to put out the whole grain bread I got them..was a bit moldy so that is out. think ds ate some of it.

yikes after midnight and i am not even sleepy. and again ds back in the kitchen.. nope dd .. see have to be up at 2am to be alone lol they sniff you out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning. Groceries were delivered, there were 3 dozen eggs that should have been someone else's. Customer service said keep them. So even more eggs to use up. Hubby and I both feel fine. I will try to get housework done today and put up more Christmas decor. Need to make soup using potatoes, onions, celery on hand. Oatmeal +/ buttermilk muffins & bread to freeze. Have a good day & stay healthy.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M, lot of good baking deals here this week, butter 1.88, flour and sugar .99, eggs .88, apples .77, cream cheese 1.67, box mixes for .77. Almost enough to get me in the store but my pantries and freezer are so full right now. We have enough.

Wow, I'd be afraid of using a hammer on my freezer. It's an old model with coils inside, and smashing one by accident would be bad. A year ago I had it almost empty to defrost.... and started hearing about this virus....and it got full again real fast.

Dlr, that was lucky for you getting extra eggs. I would not have been unhappy about that. If you can't eat them that fast they can be scrambled and frozen for several months. I accidentally froze a dozen in the carton once and they were ok. Dried a bit, had to add a spoon of water to scramble them, but they did not go bad. Glad you are both feeling well.

BW, nice of you to donate so much. Yes, have to store it, but when it is free and you rely on donations you have to learn to cope with those things.

Going to change out the decor today. Mums and leaves get packed away, tree and poinsettias come out. Have christmas paper plates and napkins I bought last year and the year before. Going to use those up. New Year plates, too, didn't get used at the party last year. Will see what else is in the boxes. First christmas cards have arrived. I sent a few but don't have as many left as I thought. Planning to stop at dollar store or some place like that and buy one more box. Have Dr and dentist appts this week so I will be out.

Spaghetti and chopped salad for dinner. Going to cook a bit of italian sausage and add that to the sauce.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ch those are good deals. it is a bit weird some baking deals but random where normally would be a whole flyer. My freezer is old w coils on the shelves but know how to hit the big chunks ..the ice is usually thick by the time I get to it lol we bought it 18yrs ago w the house for $75 actually don't know how old it is.

was up later 2am ..teens getting chatty etc.then up early 7ish.. neighbour called at 830 which on a sunday you are like who is calling? needs me to help her walk over to hairdressers tomorrow. she is disabled. old hairdresser was in a car accident months ago so hasn't returned..she used to come to the house and walk her over and back. will have look though the british mags my mom gave me to give her.
    early call thought a spammer cus like you said ch those calls started up again..think I had 5 on my cell in one day.

deciding if the boys should get the xmas stuff out of attic or not..a few bins.. but that is where it all is. no idea where I am putting tree this year. think will go to liquidation store too we found too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DLR- Glad you got free eggs. Stores usually won't resell an item once if is removed from the store. It would've gotten thrown out.

I made chicken soup from scratch in crockpot. I hope it turns out. Recipe called for 2 bay leaves and garlic but i'll remove those after cooking and add egg noodles.

DS2 didn't get any pumpkin pie last week. So, it's 1:45 am and I'm pulling a pie from the oven....

I'll call SIL to see how surgery for BIL went.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finally got my October SSA payment!! Only spent hours of my time, and the time of the staff person at my US Rep's office. Bank account is back on its way to looking healthy.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DD got back safe and is staying at a friends. Going to pick up her car today and start packing things without him missing anything. Dgd is here with me. We will do school. Trying to keep things calm. Going to have chicken stir fry tonight. Cleaning house and doing laundry in between classes. I’ll be glad when this day is over.

CH— I had someone try to scam me this past week through an email pretending to be out of town and needing me to pick up a gift card for her niece. When I responded that you could get them at Kroger or online and ask how much, they responded 5 $100 cards. I knew then that something was up because no one would ask for that much for one person. I asked them to call me and they said that they were on a plane and they could text but not call. They wanted me to take a pic of the upc on each card and email it to them. I called my friend and she immediately told me that the request had gone out to her entire contact list. Be careful, ladies. No more contact after that.

Good to hear all the good deals. I will need them with all the extra expense.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jos - wow that was a long and expensive wait. Sounded like the bank's fault for rejecting the payment to begin with? I would probably be moving my account elsewhere.
    GB hope the day goes OK.
    I cooked 3/4 pumpkin 8 hrs in the crock pot yesterday, that is all that would fit. That yielded 2.5 QT of puree, froze 2 QT. I have another smaller pumpkin to deal with also. Want to use the crock pot again while it is out. Baked 2 loaves buttermilk quick bread, 1 loaf in the freezer. Made potato casserole for last night supper, there is a lot left over.
    I hope everyone is well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got a quote to tile a 80 sq ft area....It seemed out of control at $4200. DH thought it would be way cheaper and he wanted it done but I said no, let's get another quote. Maybe have a handyman do it if we buy the materials! I have someone coming today. I said if we can't get anything way cheaper, then it will be linoleum. That's what's there now anyways....

The soup came out ok considering I didn't have celery. I should've added salt but the crackers took care of that.

BIL came out of surgery ok and will be watched and still in coma for a few days before attempting the next surgery.

DS2 nervous after the first final and feels he didn't do well. He does believe the next 3 will be easy.

I'll make the shrimp and scallop scampi for dinner today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Made second batch of cookies yesterday, pecan shortbread. A lot of work but awesome. Making my mom's recipe for cutout cookies today, then I will have a good supply to send off.
    Make America Kind Again.