2020 Frugal Challenge - Page 23
Page 23 of 153 FirstFirst ... 13202122232425263373123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The K-Mart here closed about 5 years ago....The last time I was there, it was fully stocked, with cases of candy and such when I walked in the front door. Shame.

CH- The SARS virus started in China and reached global proportions in 2003. The cause was from bats. The coronavirus is also said to be caused from bats but there are many reports of the possible causes. Both are respiratory diseases. Yes, vaccines are being made now and there are a few drugs from 2004 that have cured people.

Dlrcpa- your yard will be beautiful when it's done. Are you getting the red wood chips? We usually put chips around our trees and I got red this time. It looks really nice.

We had dinner with church friends tonight. It was nice. After an hour and a half, I was ready to leave the restaurant. I got my coat on and our guests put theirs on....I stood up and I guess one guest was surprised I wanted to go...But I needed my meds and hope I wasn't too rude....The last time we went to dinner with a different couple, it was 2 hours along and I finally had to do the same thing- put on my coat and get DH moving.... Maybe having dinner out with people isn't for me as spending hours in a restaurant seems to be extremely long and the weird thing is that when we're alone, we don't spend more than an hour at dinner!

I hope to run to Target today and the gym. Then work. It will be a busy Sunday....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Really windy here, but going to be warm again today. Going to church and then come home and work in my flower beds. Didn’t make it to Bath and Body Works for my free gift, so I will stop today since it’s the last day to get it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Supposed to be warmer today and the wind has stopped thank goodness. I get natural wood chips, it is a large area and I order by cubic yards, it will be a truckload but only a few hundred $$ and last multiple seasons. Compare to the cost of lawn mower, grass seed, hours of cutting, etc.
    Making gumbo for supper, I bought ingredients several weeks ago and froze. Need to inventory pantry and freezer and make a plan for using some things. Work on laundry and quilt binding. Told DH last night his work clothes smelled weird, this morning he agreed so I get to wash them......

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hoping to get a head start on the yard and garden today. Already 58F out. Then more packing needed in the basement. Going to make some pancakes for breakfast, use up some mix that has been here a while. Need to figure out dinners this week, too. Have last week's freezer list and lots of fresh vegs.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here I was happy that we are going to be having temps in the low 40's this week. Some of you are really having spring already. Thinking about our garden is about 2 months away! Woke up at 4am with a bad headache that didn't go away so stayed home from church. It finally went away around 1:00 so have been trying to play catch up. Washed all dog bedding, blankets and bed covers. It is far less now that my foster dog is gone. I didn't get around to vacuuming yesterday since we were running errands all day so got that done too. Cut up a bunch of veggies to roast tonight for dinner, thinking of making rice pilaf to go with. Dh has been working on a puzzle.........all day. He gets so addicted to them once he starts. He (weirdly) never looks at the picture on the box so it takes him longer to make puzzles though. I feel so behind in cleaning my house that I with there was a pill that would make you have the desire to do it, I just couldn't keep up with the foster dogs here and now have no motivation to do it. I think part of it is the winter blues. I still have to do a shopping list and menu plan for the week.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rabbit, sounds like you have done enough already today. DH and I are still packing two accumulated lifetimes worth of books and stuff out of the basement. Nearly done with the "stuff". Had to make a trip to the hardware store for another ten boxes. DH got some lawn stuff but is too tired to spread it now. I bought crocus bulbs, and a few seed packets. Too early for seeds, but we will get there soon. Hoping we get rain tonight as it will make planting bulbs easier.

Too tired to do much for dinner, going to make some smoked sausage and potato hash and steam a vegetable. I've sort of worked out a menu plan, end of the week is going to be crazy.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH- Maybe I missed it, but are you remodeling? Cleaning and packing is a tremendous amount of labor. I hope to do major cleaning once DS1 is out of the house, which, hopefully, will be in 2 mths or less. My guess is that he will want to leave a lot of his stuff in my home, which I don't want. I can handle a little but not the extent that we have right now. Going to do laundry before work.

DS2 needed note cards for school. We went to Target as I had to pick up an order anyway...They were out of notecards. The whole office supply area was pretty bare. No pencils or pens or markers... We ended up going to Walgreens and paid $3.29! Target only wanted 89 cents...……

Gonna do laundry before work. It's supposed to snow tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

lol yes house got cleaned not spotless but I am one of those do a bit every day. a good vacuum makes a big difference plus getting stuff moved. and cat toys picked up. always dust at least once a week. it is weird mix of sun and rain the last few days but feels cold like it is 44 but has been that before and didn't feel that cold. I guess damp cold. every one is feeling it. was sunny all yesterday and this morning but now raining. we got crocuses up a couple of weeks ago and daffodils etc starting but not garden time yet. still frosts.

I couldn't handle dh home if he didn't have hobbies. need some space! have gotten some things cleaned up like plastic bits, garbage in front yard always a spring clean people on sidewalk dropping stuff. kinda frugal.. home show we went too big hvac co had a special 30% off sale last week so had the appt yesterday. not going for the cheapest option of central air but quietest. can do monthly payments for 7 yrs! guess lots of people do that but don't think dh will. less payments the better. he can use money from inheritance..we just can't handle heat anymore. not like we would have it turned out really low but everything helps. he had to clear and level the spot for the concrete pad today. removed a volunteer bush/plant. forgot about a struggling rose bush that kinda comes and goes came with the house but just never got anywhere. but my climbing yellow one planted near it later does awesome. my friend wants to earn money by painting our place.. Have shoulder arm issues so just cant and not big jobs so she can paint for me win win. since it has been about 15 years for painting dining room etc it hasn't been a rush and we have the paint etc.

it seems that everything just goes up and up. always in the store it seems dh got milk bread etc and some garlic bread today since he went to library for me and got me a tea rose plant so sweet. doing the stuffed cannelloni I got half price and froze w jarred sauce and cheese for dinner. went though stuff and 2 bags for the food bank too. since I spent more time at home, I have been going though things in the house that need using up ..made a quiche, butterscotch pie, dd a lemon cake mix w jar cheesecake frosting.

we are still not used to having weekends to ourselves..like that except for feeding ourselves etc no constant on call or having to take care of inlaws. so we are just spent and just doing whatever. lots of movies and shows. like just having a day to ourselves was a rare occasion. time is our own. now we don't regret doing the right thing and caring for them but did take a toll. we watched house horror movie and malificent 2 from library plus our other shows. watching miss fisher modern mysteries today 4 shows makes the season ..got it from the library. good show. dh is off helping ds in the garage..using some of his tools. ds has a cold and is accident prone so has to be supervised.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cleaned out the bird house. Weeded the herb bed and flower beds around my trees. Started on the beds around my porch. I still have a lot to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rujerro, yes, basement remodel. I have wanted drywall down there for years, but we knew it was going to be a lot of work to clear it out. Well, with all the rain last year we got mold. So now it HAS to go. Goodbye to the cheap 70's wood paneling and moldy blue carpet. We are walling off the bathroom, tearing out the fixtures and making the laundry room larger. Putting in built-in shelves, modern lighting, insulation and some kind of dry floor. Won't know the details until we get everything out and see what the problems are. Going to do something fancy in the laundry area like, maybe an actual light fixture instead of a bare bulb, and some storage for detergent with a counter for folding. Bringing our house into 1990's level comfort.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH what a great friend.....the jacket sounds really nice.....hope you get to wear it lots.....Pork roast sounds good....I usually just throw in crockpot....don't have a grill and husband has never been a griller....

Jujerro kids leave but seems like they always leave stuff.....just tonite my husband was testing a vcr and he had a tape of our first grandson at the age of about 7 (he's now 28) going thru our house taking a video and he showed the garage and half the garage was filled with my son's stuff.....
    Martha not sure how hot it gets where you are but we are in Texas and it gets HOT....can't live without a/c....but you go from a/c house to a/c car to a/c store....I'm not a beach girl so don't like the beach and sun....

Took grandson out to dinner....he helped my husband pick up a piece of furniture for my daughter. Loaded him up with food and hba. Gave him the last of the homemade chicken soup.

Didn't do the Wags deals so will do tomorrow. It was wet and damp today......I plan on staying home for the month. I have no immune system so trying to stay healthy.
    Hope everyone has a great week....stay warm and healthy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH- That remodel sounds beautiful. I told DH yesterday that I wanted to finish off the basement...Frame it, drywall it, put in flooring and a bath....Back in 2009 or so, we got half the basement done (300 sqft) and had it framed/drywall/flooring/kitchenette....But left the other half undone. DH asked why I want to finish it and my response is that if the kids get married and need a home, we will have the room. Our home is small. The kids' bedrooms are 9' x 9'. Our master is 12' x 15' with a walk in closet and honestly, I wish the closet was half the size or smaller so I could have a larger bedroom.

This virus thing is shaking me up. With my kids' asthma and my chronic illness, we all end up in the hospital when we catch the flu or norovirus. Heck, when H1N1 was here, we were in the ER and told it was a cold....Things got worse, he looked like death warmed over, and DS1 couldn't breathe or walk. I rushed him to the pediatrician, who wanted to send us home. I was adamant that I was just at the ER and not leaving until we got something so my kid could breathe!! I got steroids (which is what should be done) and voila', his breathing improved. When DS2 got it, similar things happened and again, I wasn't leaving that office until my kid could breathe....So, getting any type of serious illness that could affect respiratory system or create dehydration is serious business here.

Dinner will be rotini in a meat sauce. Maybe with baguettes if they want that too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

BookwormPeg— where are you in Texas. I’m close to Denton.

A man with the coronavirus is in a hospital in Providence. My daughter is a nurse in a Providence, but not at the same hospital. She said she’s been wearing a mask since December. Her take on it is that there are people out there that have it and don’t know it yet and the scary thing is they don’t know how it’s being spread.
    I’m going to the soup kitchen today and then I’m finishing the flower beds around my porch. Getting ready for the big rain coming.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today and tomorrow afternoons are filled with appointments. Dh and I both have one with our PCP. I just haven't been feeling well. Maybe time for some "happy" pills again. I have so much pain also. I know it's diet and weight related, but I need a boost to get going. Dh just has a follow up. Tomorrow we have a nutrition class for diabetes. I'm going to prep dinner now before we go to the doctor, so we just have to reheat the meat. Making tacos tonight. I've been craving homemade tacos. Tomorrow I'll make a pot of taco soup in the crockpot. We don't get out of class until 7pm. Dh may come home early and we'll just eat before we go. Or just not eat tomorrow. It's an odd time for a class. 7pm is too late for me to eat. Maybe I'll make the taco soup now and have tacos tomorrow. We'll figure it out.

Dgd spent the night last night. Sissy had an early doctor appointment downtown. We both slept really late. Mommy got here and we weren't ready. That's another reason I want to go to the doctor. I sleep a lot. Always tired.

It's a chilly day today, but the rest of the week and next week are supposed to be great. Hope to get in the yard and start clearing out. Ran into the old neighbor this weekend. She may be coming by to get some of the flowers out of her old backyard. The new owner doesn't do gardens, so it's a mess. Old neighbor said she'd like to get some of the flowers. I told her to come on over. We won't clear out parts of it until we know she has what she wants.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dog has had a bath and towels were washed & dried. Weather outside is nice, I may do some more in the yard after lunch. Leftovers for supper.