2020 Frugal Challenge - Page 62
Page 62 of 65 FirstFirst ... 125259606162636465 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH- Hope you feel better soon! My aunt has RA and in pain. Poor thing.

Went to church. They seem to have an idea of how things need to be done. Tomorrow we go again as DH reads and they are expecting more people and the inspector. They tried to explain how to walk around this or that depending on the section you're in....Like anyone will remember and what about those that have no idea? Priest made a comment about not wearing a mask with Communion...Take it off or wear it on one ear...DH and DS2 had them on, so they must remember to slide half off...So many rules...…..

DS1's birthday is next week. I asked for a list of what he wanted and gave it to DH. I gave him a free GC from swagbucks and lottery tix.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning. Rain has cleared off and sunny now. Going to run the oven clean cycle at dad's and hope we don't set off smoke detectors - yuck. Probably vacuum as well. I washed all the floors last week. Brother likely has kidney stone but does not have plan/advice from Dr. as yet. They rescheduled tele-visit to a week out. I am glad at least he has some idea what is going on. Hubby fixed the free folding try table so I can use on the patio, that will be handy. I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got rain last night and supposed to get some for the next week. If it comes in small doses, everything will survive. I’m cooking red beans, beet greens, cornbread and potatoes for dinner. DH came home last night and said his bosses called him into their office. I thought he was going to tell me that he got fired, but he was named Employee of the Year. Don’t know what that entails, but he will find out Wednesday. Hope it’s money.

Marthamfi—Try TSP to clean woodwork or anything really. I even used it on my ventahood. My painter turned me on to it. He uses it before he paints and sometimes that’s all you need. You mix it with water and wear gloves to apply and immediately rinse. Very inexpensive and saves time.

Contraryhousewife—My arthritis in my thumb is giving me fits. I use Naproxen and take 4 at a time. It is the same as the prescription dose. I also get in my pool and move, not swim. Rest.

Rabbit—I forgot it was Memorial weekend too. It’s suppose to rain more.

Everyone have a relaxing weekend. Do something different to get your mind off the craziness we are all going through.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rujerro, thanks. I'm sorry about your aunt. I hope she has better days ahead.

They are going to open churches here on June 1. You have to sign up to get a seat so they can control how many come in. Theaters in some parts are allowed to open, but no new releases from Hollywood yet.

Dlr, have a nice day.

GB, congrats on DH's recognition. A bonus would be nice.

Arthritis seems to be better. Doubling up on the steroid seems to have helped. Still feeling very stiff. Will try stretching today and walking this evening. I miss my yoga classes. Not the same doing it at home. A pool sounds nice, none here for miles though, and always full of kids. Or the one at the health club has so much chlorine you can't breathe.

Doing online chat with friends this afternoon. Will spend a couple hours playing catch up. Not sure who all will join due to the holiday, but it's not like people are going anywhere.

DH took my iron apart last night to find out why it wasn't working. Broken wire in the cord. But he hasn't put it back yet....

Planning cauliflower soup for dinner, using up some frozen cheese and bread.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My old/original iron also suffered a broken cord wire. Hubby re-wired but then I noticed the new cord getting hot (cord itself) and was concerned enough to throw it away. Irons just draw so much current. I took mom's iron which was newer anyway and using that now. Please be careful of the cord/rewire

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the reminder Dlr. DH does a lot of electronics repair so he should know what he is doing. His first job was tv and radio repair. I'll keep an eye on it. There may be more than one thing wrong.

Porch thermometer says it is 87 out, that can't be right for May? We had temps in the 40s just a week ago....
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hot again today. We drove an hour to pick up frozen chicken breasts I ordered.....got there and they had run out...why they took too many orders is beyond me....I ordered a week ago....I saw a post saying they had 200 cases and yesterday I saw they were still taking orders.....yet, they oversold....wish they had sent a quick text to let us know.....seems they will have more on Wednesday and they will call....they offered to bring to me and I might just have them do that....even tho I don't have anything else to do.....no one was wearing a mask.....I was in the car and wasn't wearing mine and they all communication to the passenger side which was my side.... I didn't have time to grab my mask.....but will do it if there is a next time...
    Dropped off a few things at my grandson's and we drove around looking for a mailbox. Couldn't find one so ended up driving to the post office we use. Remember when they use to be on every street corner???? No more....people steal them...

GB what a nice surprise for your husband....I hope it's money too....a nice fat check!!!!

Opening up the city but I'm staying home. I see my doctor next week and will see what she has to say.

Hope everyone has a great weekend....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

GB - congrats to your Dh!

CH - hope your feeling better today

Peg - I think I would take them up on their offer of bringing the chicken to you. I try to always remember to bring a mask anytime we leave the house........you just don't know if your going to need it.

Yesterday we cut down 3 pine trees and got rid of it all in the fire pit. Of course we had chain saw problems half way through so it took much longer than expected. Dh sanded down and sprayed my two front porch planters so they look like brand new again. Planted flowers in one, still have to do the other one. We sold a bike on Craigslist. Put up the ad and within hours we had six interested people. The first couple who came out bought it. We sold it for $5 more than we bought it for. The couple both wore masks, as did we and practiced social distancing. I had heard that bikes were hard to find at stores so I told Dh this is the time to sell it.

Our church at this point is still not doing in building church services. I don't know how they are going to go about doing it since we have around 900-1000 members. I am going to go to Meijer this morning and we are planning a Costco run tonight. I have not been there, except for gas since this all started. I am hoping that if we go about a hour before they close, it won't be too busy. Planning on a bbq for dinner.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My church is still online and took a survey of members. It may open by taking reservations, but will be on,one, as well.

Today would have been my mother’s 98 th birthday. The next few days are going to be hard as she passed away on May 26, 2019. May go for a walk later before it starts raining. Suppose to rain for a week. Ugh! Not good for my mood.

Everyone have a safe holiday weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

GB fingers crossed you guys get a nice check. Maybe you can plant a flowering shrub for your mom, or order a garden statue. I have seen nice ones.
    There is a historic working mill owned by county park service nearby. When flour was scarce in the stores there was a campaign to allow the mill to grind and sell flour again as a community service. So they were selling flour and corn meal at farmer's market and hubby bought 2 lbs each. It has to be refrigerated or frozen (makes sense due to grinding conditions) so hubby says polenta tonight. If anyone has never made polenta you should try it - as easy as making oatmeal. I add a couple TB sugar and Parmesan at the end.
    Cloudy cool & overcast today. Brother snagged an old holiday wreath at his county dump site. I am going to take apart and use the frame for a "rag" wreath probably. Also found sister's childhood (costume) jewelry box in the tractor barn at dad's. Box was trashed but I brought home the jewelry to polish up, can be taken apart and some re-used. I was poking through the barn for flowerpots and such, it is a mystery why this box was there. You can see how I entertain myself.... I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dlr, when the groceries got ransacked and no flour could be found for weeks the only thing left was cornmeal. I think a lot of people don't know how many uses it has. It's kind of old fashioned. In my grandparent's day it was 'cornmeal mush' and it was what you got for breakfast, and if you were lucky there was some honey or molasses to go on top. I make a slow cooked version with cream, and put caramelized onions and mushroom gravy on top, or bacon and a fried egg for breakfast. What a treat that you got some.

It sounds cool to be hunting through an old barn for treasure. Maybe because it's not my barn full of junk. Maybe your sister was playing there with her costume jewelry and forgot where she hid it.

GB, hope you have a blessed day. A plant in honor of your mother sounds like a nice idea.

BW, that is awful about the chicken. Hope you get your order soon and they learn their lesson. Unfortunately with packing plants still shutting down I think it's going to be a continuing problem.

Thanks Rabbit. Yes, it is getting better. Hope you find what you need in the stores.

Looks like it is going to be a warm day here, with storms possible later. It is getting to be that time of year when you have to watch the skies constantly.

Go a big piece of pork shoulder to thaw today, for smoking tomorrow. That will be several meals worth of pulled pork and sandwiches. Tonight it is going to be fish sandwiches, with fries and salad from the garden.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today is raining and ugly out....we have to go to warehouse and pick up an auction win and drop off a baby gift....I, of course, will be waiting in car....sigh

GB it's hard losing your Mom...seems like no matter how old we are....I lost my Mom at 26...47 years ago. She only got to see my daughter a few times and my son was born five days after she died. But, she was bedridden and in lots of pain...they didn't have the meds for RA like they have today. Big hug to you GB.....will be praying you have a peaceful week.

Rabbit....it's my fault about the mask...I had one in my purse....two in fact, but it all happened so fast I wasn't thinking....I thought we would be just driving up and they would load my chicken....won't happen again.

dlr I love looking thru old barns and houses....you just never know what you will find....

I have a decorative bird house on my patio....yesterday a bird claimed it. Husband got it on tape...he went inside and then another bird flew in and he chased it away....so funny to watch. I enjoy watching the birds....they sure do eat a lot. Husband is constantly running and buying another 50 lbs. I think they spread the word where the good food is. Lots of blue jays and cardinals.....and at night a possum or two....we also saw a bird on the camera last night that was just walking around and he was huge but we couldn't tell what kind he was....never seen him before and it was at night. Looked like a bird you might see at the beach....had long legs....beach is about an hour and half from here....will see if he comes back...

Hope everyone has a great Memorial day......stay safe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

gb good news about your dh. maybe like others say a special plant in her honour. I don't think you ever stop wanting your mom if you had a good relationship.

bw that sucks about the chicken.. think they wouldn't oversell it or unless they were short shipped. but if they want to deliver no cost why not. maybe you got a heron or crane in your yard.

shopped at one store yesterday and no one told me we were out of cheese except shredded. so this morning went w dh to other store since they had cheese sales and box cereal on sale $280 later between them and still $35 of cat food coming from amazon too. so stocked up. kids friends over so got pop, hotdogs etc. rest was all stock up or basics we needed like milk, bread, fruit etc. did get discounted cheese bagels and marked down black forest cake.

dh went bbq shopping and got one he liked under $400 bought at a walmart type store here. get a weekly freebie if you spend over $250 some weeks better then others. this time a box of full size soft soap products gave away the 2 irish spring body washes and coconut scrub. but now have 3 liquid hand soaps and 2 deodorants and a body wash for the stash. bought back the library stuff and picked up the holds.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished the leftover chicken...Thawing more now for dinners.

Scholarships for DS2 have emailed to say that they are on pause...Others that stated there would be announcements for winners back in March haven't responded either. Nothing on their websites. I hope others actually give them out and notify winners.

Trying to get printer to work. It did yesterday...::

DS2 wants to make new recipes. One is a bread filled with cabbage. I saw a recipe that puts carrots, onions and tomato paste in it.
    He said he wants to try recipes from different countries. So he has a few from Russia. He has tried eating fried figs and dates. He seemed to like them but thought the dates were very sweet. He made a chocolate babka once and wants to try again.

It's raining and in the 40's today. Good sleeping weather.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

rujerro - how wonderful that your son is so open to trying new foods along with making them!

GB - it's so hard to lose a parent. I lost my dad 5 years ago and still every year take a walk in the woods on his birthday. He loved nature and I feel closer to him there then visiting his grave.

Martha - are you going to try out that new bbq today?! I can't wait until our libraries are open again.

Got everything I wanted at Costco last night and shopped for my mom too. I saw at least 6 people with masks
    pulled down by their chins. I thing since Costco requires masks, it's their way of having one but not using it just to make a statement. I stay away from those people. As long as we were at Costco we filled up the car with gas and all of our gas cans for the lawnmowers. Talked to my mom through her door wall for a bit when we dropped off her Costco stuff. I also brought her bbq'd chicken, brats, watermelon and blt pasta salad. The plans for today so far are getting my screens washed and put in.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.