2020 Frugal Challenge - Page 73
Page 73 of 153 FirstFirst ... 23637071727374757683123 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 2283
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I see there is a ground beef recall. Anyone know how to make ground chicken or turkey taste more like hamburgers? Worcestershire sauce or something? I do have a good sloppy joe recipe to use ground turkey.
    Dog is having digestive problems. I ordered Sensitive Stomach food to try. Pickup at PetSmart because I had $2.50 off using points. They e-mail me when it is ready, I hope this works.
    Plan to sew today. Also started another cross-stitch w/ DMC free pattern. Making polenta to have with leftover pork for supper. Still waiting for decks/porch to dry. I did some yard clean-up from the gas line digging last week. I hope everyone is well.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M, you can preserve cilantro and other herbs by freezing them in oil. I use a neutral flavored olive oil. Chop up the leaves and pack into ice cube trays. Pour oil over and freeze. Keep in a zipper baggie. Easy to thaw for use in salad dressings, or plop into soup or other dishes.

Dlr, I use Better Than Bullion to flavor ground turkey and make it taste like beef. It's not cheap but you only use a tsp or two at a time so it lasts a while. Turkey works better since it is often dark meat and has more fat than chicken. Most ground chicken, unless it says something different, is white meat and it is dry and stays white more than turkey will. You could try mixing with pork, too.

Today is going to be hot again. That is going to last all week. Have to get out and water the garden, try and get the last tomatoes planted. I can see pea pods than need picking.

Bread came out ok. Was real disappointed when it deflated as I moved it to baking pans after rising all day. Had less sour flavor than I usually get. Still had better texture than my other recipe. Will keep working on it. Made half a batch and still got 2 huge loaves. Will have breadcrumbs until christmas.

Have the usual housework and a list of things to get done today.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another hot one. Not much planned for today. I do have laundry to fold. My favorite thing to do. NOT!

Found out today that our PC doc is leaving. Don't know where. They told my husband that another doctor was taking over his patients. Just when we started to like him. This will be our 3rd doctor in less than 2 years.

Ruj - We do not have an HOA, thank goodness. Sometimes I wish we did. It would "weed" out all the troublesome neighbors. One of our old neighbor's mom worked for the city. We got written up for our tire being 1 inch on the grass. We got written up a few times. Then one day their dog got out of the house and charged dh and our dogs. Never had another problem. THen they moved. I keep looking for a new place to move to. Nothing in our price range. If there is, it's just like the house we have with stairs. If it's one level, they are gone quick or priced too high or in an HOA. We just need to find a nice piece of land and build our house. Last night I had a great time trying to get out of the driveway. Cars parked everywhere. If we do our driveway this week, they lose a parking spot. HA HA!

Dinner will probably be sandwiches today. That's what we had yesterday with lots leftover.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I must have a black cloud over me.....my family doctor won't write my scripts unless I go in....I told her I would send my blood work report that I just had done 3 weeks ago and then I would do a phone visit...nope not good enough...I have to come in...I have been with this doctor for over 25 years and he just turned it over to a group and I'm not liking it....as it is, I drive 25 miles to see him since he moved out of my area about 15 years ago and I chose to stay with him...I really hate changing doctors....I think they want me to come in so they can bill Medicare...I would think they would have a way to bill them with a video call or phone call....if not, they better get with it as I think this is going to be our new way of life...

still haven't hear from my RA dr. about my script I got that is wrong....she probably didn't get the message....she is usually very good about answering calls....when I first started with her, I called her on Christmas Eve and she called me back in ten minutes!! If I don't hear from her tomorrow I will call her and speak to the nurse.....

I went thru my shoebox stuff and organized it....have pencils coming so I can work on pencil packs....ran out of shoeboxes so think I will ask on fb if anyone has any....

Making spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner....browned up some hamburger I had defrosted few days ago....

jettsmom HOA can be a pain in butt or they can be good....my daughter lives in a neighborhood with no HOA and 99% of the houses are kept up.....the one that doesn't is next to her....big lots but it's still next door....we live in a subdivision with a HOA which are a pain..the first time they sent us a letter I went around the neighborhood and took pictures of all the infractions and sent it them. Then few years ago, they sent a letter to us saying we had grass growing in the cracks of our drive way....I wasn't very nice when I sent them a letter back....they were worried about grass in the cracks (we have a lawn guy who comes every two weeks) but they weren't worried about the telephone log laying in the median around the corner which was there for at least two or three YEARS....they told me who to call to get it removed and I told them it wasn't my property nor my job....they had it removed within a week.....they really hated the lady across the street and they were always complaining about her house and yard....she keeps it very neat and mowed but if her gate was left open they would send her a letter....if her plants looks like they needed water, they would send her a letter...if her car was parked one inch over the line, they send her a letter....but yet the neighbors car was parked two feet over the line and my plants looked like heck, I didn't get a letter and they never bothered the neighbors.....finally got new people in office and they stopped bothering her....I told them they needed to get to know the people and not just send letters....maybe they are older and maybe they are sick and can't get the lawn mowed....maybe they have no one to help them....my neighbor had just lost her oldest son to a hit and run and her only other son had been in and out of hospital with stomach problems and he passed away two years later...and in that time she had a heart attack...dealing with the hoa was the last thing she needed....people need to be more forgiving...

Our numbers are going up really fast....just saw that the food pantry I volunteered at had a person who tested positive...so they had to close completely down....17,000 in our county have the virus.........now they are asking those who were at the protesters march in our city which had 60,000 people in attendance, to be tested....now you know that isn't going happen...I feel like it's never going to go away...very discouraging.... another sheriff employee died......older sheriff...very sad...my golden years aren't being very golden...

Hope everyone is having a good day.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peg- I hope the meds get straightened out super fast..That's crazy. My mom went to get her meds one day at Walmart and good thing she looked...What was supposed to be a blood sugar pill for pick-up ended up being heart medication.....If she didn't look, it would have been a terrible situation!

Contrary- I'd be interested in your bread recipe.

Have a morning appointment today to discuss the oral surgery.

Then I'll get blood drawn for the doc...She won't give me any more synthroid until I get a blood draw. I emailed her that she never sent in the script and when I went last week, they couldn't do it. So, I said I would buy it online, from my own pocket, to get it done. Last time she wanted my blood drawn, she sent it to the wrong lab. They are using info from 10 years ago and not listening to me. Good thing I hoard medication any chance I get. That way, I'm not completely out when stuff like this happens.

I thawed a ham and DH says he will smoke it. He doesn't want to heat up the house. I'll see if he wants to smoke the potatoes too.

I found lemon sugar free yogurt (it's really a yogurt blend) that I want to use to make a lemon blueberry muffin. I want strong flavor and will add lemon zest to it as well.

Work has been very busy. When kids start school, it will ramp up even more. My back has been sore from lifting but I deal with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All my work in the clothing closet is working. Everything was still organized. I came home with 3 loaves of bread from Panera Bread. They can’t use it since it wasn’t individually wrapped. Got veggie and fruit scraps for my chickens and my friend made me a lemon tart. Getting ready for my 2 mile walk and then pulling the rest of the beets for the freezer. Making more zucchini pineapple bread for my neighbors mother that has cancer. It’s just about all that she will eat. Working on the cross stitch the rest of the day. Stay cool. It’s getting hot here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Another hot day shaping up here. Going to check the garden and water if necessary. Then I'm going out to get myself lunch and do some errands.

Rujerro, I used a NYTimes recipe: https://cooking.nytimes.com/guides/5...urdough-bread? I made half a batch because 700 grams of flour is ~6 cups and I didn't have that much bread flour. I still ended up with two loaves. Somewhere during conversion from metric to US measurements I think I messed up because when I got to day 2, step 4 I had soup, not dough. Had to add more than a cup of flour to get it workable. I improvised some shaping baskets for the rise. Everything looked good until I went to turn the loaves out for baking and then they deflated terribly. I was so disappointed. I left it nearly an hour after that, but it wasn't showing signs of rising again so I just baked it. Even though I lowered the temp to 450 and only baked for 45 mins it was overdone. The texture is better than anything I've done before, but the sour flavor is pretty light. Overall I like the method with the autolyse and multiple foldings and longer rise times, but next time it's going to rise in baking pans. And I have to do some math to figure out appropriate measurements before hand, trying to convert on the fly was a mess.

Hope you guys get your issues with doctors straightened out. I've gone through some of that myself with the new insurance.

Looks like grilled chicken and swiss chard from the garden for dinner.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep, another hot one here. Got up early and took dh to work. We still have a vehicle at work. He's bringing someone's truck home to detail. THen we'd have two vehicles there. This way, when he's done, he can drive the van home. He brought a car home to clean up and sell for a guy at work, but the van was still there. They are supposed to start on the driveway today. We'll see. I told dh if it doesn't start today, then forget it.

After I dropped dh off, I went to walmart. Picked up 60 lbs of rice. I've heard they are out of rice all around. We use a lot of rice and I was getting low. Just haven't had a chance to go to the city market to get any. The shelves are starting to look a little bare. They didn't have the toothpaste I wanted or dental floss. The food didn't look too bad. I went to the WM neighborhood market too. Got 80lb of rice there and a few other things. Picked up more toilet paper. I think we'll be okay for awhile. I used to store a lot and then for some reason stopped having so much on hand. Not doing that again. I finally found some yeast there. They've been out for months. Need to get more flour. I prefer the unbleached and they were out.

Now I need to unload the car and put everything away. I still have my laundry to fold. You can tell how much I dislike folding laundry. Need to wash towels and change the bed sheets and wash them. Need to dry dh's towels for detailing the car.

We'll have tacos tonight. It's Taco Tuesday! Dgd will be over. She likes tacos. I'll make some rice too. She loves rice, and even more with sugar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I decided I am not happy with my primary selling out and not telling me and the girl was snippy yesterday on phone so I located the really sweet young PA who use to work for this primary and I had seen him for three years until he left in Nov. of last year....I saw a lady doctor in January who was very nice but I'm not happy with this coming in....I have blood work every three months like clockwork...the primary would always accept these reports and not have me come in every six months...it's all about money....anyway...have an appt. tomorrow morning...insurance says I have to see dr. first time...after that I will see my young PA....it's not as far as the other dr. I was going to....I really HATE changing doctors but I am not in mood for snippy people.....new doctor's office called and we filled out paperwork over the phone....she asked if I was depressed...I told her of course I'm depressed....I haven't been out in over three months and it looks like it will be another three months and maybe ever longer.....then she asked if I was anxious and nervous....heck yes I told her....isn't she???... and she said yes she was.....

rujerro you got to be on your toes with these pharmacies....I have had problems before...I had script filled at a grocery store and took it for three months..one pill a week.......t/f to another grocery store (back when you got gc for t/f your scripts) and when I got it it said four pills a week...i asked pharmacist about that since the first store had filled it at one per week....he told me to talk to the first store...I walked in and the pharmacist saw me walking up and I didn't even say a word and he was apologizing right and left....they read it wrong...for three months I was suppose to be taking four a week and I was taking one a week....told the doctor and she said "no wonder you aren't better..." I try to stay on top of it...

Blueberry lemon muffins sounds really good.....

I got a really cute little heart shape waffle maker and I am thinking of making marshmallows and making s'more with the waffles, chocolate syrup, graham cracker crumbs and marshmallows....saw it on one of my cooking shows....

GB do you have a recipe for your zucchini pineapple bread??/ Two of my favorite things....

Tacos sound good but husband doesn't like crunchy foods so we will leftover spaghetti...

Just wanted to say thanks for letting me vent....looking back thru last few weeks posts, it looks like all I do is complain...I'm really a positive person but having a rough time right now.....between doctors, scripts, virus, boredom, family matters I'm letting it get to me....

Hope everyone has a great day....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

BW, it's ok to vent. You gotta talk to someone to keep your sanity. And I totally understand about the Dr./pharmacy problems, been there myself. I horde pills, too. Pharmacy near me is awful. Half the time they have my order wrong. Last month it was 30 pills instead of the 90 for 3 months. But now I can't get a refill for the rest because it shows as filled.... OTOH, they are double filling my steroid prescription and I've been saving the extra pills for when I relapse and need larger doses.

Had a nice time out today. Our state is open for business with minimum restrictions. I had lunch at a table in a restaurant. They did not have many tables available, but it was nice. I noticed the roast beef sandwiches were off the menu, though. Shops open, masks required by most businesses. I got a little gift for DH's birthday next month.

City got a new trash service last month. They are sloppy. Left trash all over our drive and down the street. Not the first time. Sigh.

Jetts, sorry you're seeing a shortage in your area. My local stores are looking good. Both Aldi and Price Chopper had good supplies of rice and grains last week. I skipped shopping this week, can't think of anything we really need right now.

Need to put clean laundry away and start a new load. And pit more cherries.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today is our anniversary. Hubby is getting take-out from a nice restaurant. I asked if he wanted me to set up card table on the patio under the deck to eat outside. To my surprise he said yes. He has gone to pick up the food. Nice relaxing supper. I baked a cake, just need to do the frosting. Last nice weather day, supposed to rain Wed-Thurs.
    Had to take the dog to the vet this morning, his diarrhea was not improving. $$$ out. He seems better now. Overnight will tell. Had to go out last night 10 pm and 12:45 am then 5:45 am. Going to bed early tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dlrcpa- Happy Anniversary!

CH- Thanks for the bread recipe! I'll have to try it.

Peg- We have to be on our toes with everyone! Get this- I went to the oral surgeon to discuss pulling my tooth. He took an x-ray. He said I DON'T have an infection, and the decay is nowhere near the root! A root canal will never happen as the root is too curved. Try to get it filled and it broke off, but it's not that bad. It didn't break below the gum line......Whoa.... I asked if he knew a good dentist and he gave me the name of HIS dentist....I said I'm getting another opinion and thanks!! ::

I'm making lemon cupcakes and had to improvise a bit. I didn't add blueberries but I think they're tasty.

DH smoked the ham and the potatoes for dinner.

DH has been driving the rental car while his car gets fixed. He thought he only had a strut problem but nope. He has a strut problem, steering issue, needs a back window replaced and the convertible top replaced. It's all covered, even the rental.....I think the extended warranty just paid for itself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy Anniversary Dlrcpa!! hope it was a good one!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ruj that is pretty strange about your tooth.
    Dog is better, I slept through the night. Making bread in the machine and starting the bathroom wallpaper removal today. e-book and cross-stitch when I get tired out. Hoping not to spend much the rest of the month other than paying the deck contractor.
    My carry-out dinner was panzanella salad w/ chicken (hunks of bread in it.) Never tried that before, I thought it was good and will try making one sometime. Good use for bread that is a little stale. Dinner outside was nice. Hubby is making a roast tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rujerro, good news about the tooth. I hope the new dentist can get you fixed up soon.

Dlr, glad to hear the dog is on the mend.

Going to be a long hot day again. It's not even here yet and I am tired of summer. In fact, I'm just tired. And sick of being home all the time.

DH wants barley soup for dinner. No leftover steak, so I'm using leftover pork and lots of vegetables. Have some HM bread left to go with it.

Use it up, Wear it out,