2020 Frugal Challenge - Page 80
Page 80 of 81 FirstFirst ... 30707778798081 LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1215
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that is frustrating jett! I think fabric is easier. here masks depending on you and where you go. some places you must some not. bought some of the clear face shields for the family for travel. easier for breathing. think fabric is easier to breathe through too.

was warm and sunny last few days. gave myself a bit of a sunburn during the bbq. today rain and overcast w some sunny breaks. bugging my sinuses though I popped a diff allergy pill doesn't seem to do much so lightheaded. dh can pick up kids cousin for sleepover. dd went and got milk and bread. spent enough on groceries the last week or so. and then yesterday ds is are you going shopping..seriously. wanted tuna..has decided he likes it but since no one but the cats and I eat it don't keep much in stock.

of course looks like cheese is low too but have frozen shredded. csa to pick up tonight too. tacos tonight. leftover grad cake too. dishwasher is on and more laundry to do. did want to go to fabric sale but will see if dh can drive me. ds is doing cat litter boxes and I put up some canada day decor. canada day tomorrow so stat holiday dh off. no big celebrations of course cus virus. fireworks are a halloween thing here for people to set off. cities do it for canada day but will be online.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dlrcpa- Hope your brother's treatment goes better the 2nd time. Bummer that he has to go back.

CH-I'll just have to fix things on my own with help from contractors.

Went to Target to get cereal and stuff. No cleaning items on shelves. So, I couldn't spend all of my gift cards!

Our town is building a fire station down the street. We already have a police station. Once both are here, we'll become a city and pay incredible taxes. They've been trying to do this for years. Our property tax doubled.

I cooked tonight and there's enough leftovers for tomorrow for DH & DS2. I don't really eat my dinners anymore since I'm on this medical carb program. Eating from a box or bag is better for now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hot and humid already. Not doing much today. Laundry is going. I need to make an Aldi run for strawberries. They are 89 cents a carton. May have DH pick some up on his way home. Too hot to do anything. Traded Black-eyed Susans for a Turks cap. Got to get it in the ground.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stormed this morning and rain. Sunny and hot today, probably storms again later. Sprayed a lot of poison ivy but the rain probably washed that off. Will see on Saturday if it's working. Parents' yard is such a mess but I'm getting rid of the poison ivy before I try do do anything. I hope to leave dad's mid-afternoon, have to see if brother can cope. I just have plenty to do at home. Hope everyone manages to have a good day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like it's hot everywhere. Yesterday it was about 90 degrees and foster dog decided she did not want to come in the house after I got home from work. She was very nervous out there after the dogs and I went in and kept pacing back and forth in the sun but wouldn't come in no matter what I tried. It took me 3.5 hours to trick her and grab her collar to get her in. I thought she was going to have heat stroke. She is now on a long line when she goes out. Unfortunately it gets tangled up in everything which makes her more anxious, sigh. She also is peeing in the living room so I had to clean the carpet this morning, not one of my most favorite things to do. I also got the floors washed in the kitchen, laundry room and bathrooms. Spend some time reading my library book. Another 90 degree day here so will have to get out later to water everything. Turkey burgers with pretzel buns, broccoli slaw salad and corn on the cob for dinner.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We had rain over night and it is about 70F this morning. Feels amazing. We were not supposed to get rain but I'm glad we did. I have one tomato to replace, and a couple of flowers to plant and the ground should be nice and soft.

Dlr, poison ivy is a pain, hope you got enough spray on it. Our neighbors don't control it and it keeps popping up in our yard.

GB, 99c strawberries sound like a great deal. I'll have to check and see if ours has the same sale. Have not seen the ads for this week yet. I was out yesterday and meat prices mostly seemed reasonable. Got ground beef for 3.69 and a couple of cube steaks around that price, but strip steaks were $19.89/lb!

Rujerro, shame about the increased taxes, it eventually happens everywhere. I had some relatives get priced out of southern NH in the 90s due to development and tax increases. When they bought the house they were in the woods, when they sold, it was a fully developed suburb and they hated it.

DH and I are expecting the same here. The city has --after decades of neglect-- suddenly realized it looks like $%!& around here, crime is high and businesses have left abandoned strip malls everywhere. I saw in the paper last week that we are going to get sidewalks and proper curbs in the area. Talk about progress. They may do something radical like paint lines on the road, too. Of course taxes will go up.

Happy Canada Day to our friends up north!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rained early this morning. I guess it was quite a storm. Everyone was talking about tornado warnings. Didn't get an alert, didn't hear any sirens. I did hear the rain. Dh said the horse farm was under water at the end of our street and the empty fields were like a lake.

Doing laundry. Dh needed his clothes washed. He's been working on the pool all week and it's been super hot/humid. He got most of the retaining wall up. Still has some work to do, but it's enough to keep the higher side from caving in. We'll do more work this fall when it's not so hot. Just need to spread and level the sand. Hopefully we have enough. We thought we got a great deal on the pool. It was $90, but the work to get it set up has cost way more than we imagined. Oh well. Dgd will be so happy. It will nice for us to just go relax and float in the pool in the evenings. I was sad to lose the yard, but we'll get the other side looking nice. In the winter, we'll use the area for a fire pit. The pool we have now is one you need to take down for the winter. If this works out and we use it alot, then we'll look into getting one that stays up year round. If not, we have a nice sunken patio area.

I'm thinking I'll make some fried rice today. Something I can make ahead and dh can eat whenever. We ended up going out late again last night for dinner. I don't want to do that again tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH likes to fix things to save money. I'm usually all for it. But, in this instance, I felt it would be better to call a plumber. As DH slept, I made the appt and scheduled the fix since DH works long hours. When his alarm went off, I told him to stay in bed as it was taken care of and no need to get up. Instead of causing a ruckus, he said ok and rolled over. I was pleasantly relieved. He was even ok with the cost.

I have a 3rd dental consult next week for my tooth. The oral surgeon's dentist will see me.

I was stupid and thought I was paying my credit card off but the money went to my other credit card. It wouldn't be so bad except the cc now has a negative balance. UGH. I wish I could have put that to the correct cc....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rabbit, sad that dog is so frightened of everything. My 1st dog did similar to me only once (fortunately), I had let him loose in a fenced play area and took 1.5 hours to catch him.

Hubby surprised me and painted the oil-based primer in the bathroom, required where the wallpaper was. Running exhaust fan in there most of the time. Primer has to "cure" 5-7 days before being painted. Told him I was happy to do the latex paint when ready. He has not removed his stuff from the closet yet.

July 4 grocery sales going on. I need to organize lists and take advantage. Only have over-fridge freezer but there is space. Order dog food online. I have sewing projects today also. Hot outside. I hope everyone is well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Warm, cloudy, and humid. We seem to be stuck in this pattern this summer.

Rujerro, good for you, let the experts do the plumbing. It will go much faster.

Dlr, we have some sales here, to. Nice to see good prices after all these months. I see butter, ground beef and cheese for cheap. A lot of snack food on sale, too.

Going to be a busy day. Will be going out to do final arrangements for the basement cabinetry. Sign a big check, but not as bad as the kitchen. Hope it comes out nice.

Big chef salad for dinner. Will see what is in the vegetable drawers. I think the garden lettuce is coming to an end. Still growing well, but getting bitter.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another hot humid day. But guess what? The pool is up and filled. The pump comes today. Dh said we'll probably just use that one. The one that came with the pool is too small. I'm glad that part is done. We need to do something about all the mud around the pool. Dh said when he left for work today, it was a huge monstrosity in the back yard. He said if he'd known it would look like that, he wouldn't have done. it. Oh well, it's done. It may be there a few years or forever. Who knows. It's just how our property is laid out. We have a larger side yard than back yard and you can see it from the street. We'll definitely be doing a privacy fence across the front. For now it will be a privacy screen around the pool. We'll take down my raised garden on one side of the pool to give more room around it. We'll save the wood, it's still good and either build a new one somewhere else or use the wood for another project. Dgd came to spend the weekend with us. As the pool was filling she was already in it playing around. She doesn't care how cold it is. She's ready to swim.

Going soon to pick up groceries. I have orders to pick up at two stores. Decided I wasn't going to wear a mask and just do an order pick up. I've got dgd with me anyway. Her mom won't let her go anywhere. Folding laundry today and working in the kitchen. It's such a mess. I got behind while working on the pool. Got a lot cleaned up last night, but was in so much pain from standing and bending. I just need to lose weight. That would help the pain. Dgd wants to make things today. Maybe she can help me make some masks. She can help pick out fabric. I'm going with lighter colors because of the heat. I would think they would be cooler than a dark color. Maybe we'll make some m&m cookies with the red, white and blue m&ms I bought.

Tonight I may make some fried rice. Dgd likes it and will eat a lot. We finished up the bbq beef from the leftover pot roast last night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ah a yard and house will never be a showroom with kids around but it is worth it. dlrcpa does those lavender calming collars work? it is so hard fixing problems others caused with pets. rujerro I agree ! hire someone ..dh finally agrees on somethings after years of waste and things not done. and not his fault when you work long hours and have been taking care of parents for years. reminds me to contact someone for painting.

our property taxes always go up...staff wages ..pet projects.. they like to spend here. need to call my mom and finish her online stuff for property taxes. pouring rain second day in a row so don't have the urge to garden etc. chilly think time to bump up the heat. yesterday ds made banana bread for the first time so that used up the old bananas so that warmed up the house. did a & w for dinner. had sinus issues so didn't do much. up early w dh today so watched one hallmark movie already.

need to deal with csa stuff. still have garlic snapes so think will freeze from 2 weeks ago. one thing is though I just got the biweekly couple plan..get a lot the huge head of lettuce filled the veggie bin. thinking herb tortellini I bought the other day and use the spinach in it or just the frozen lasagna w salad. have chicken drumsticks from sat too sitting in fridge...either crows or chicken soup. need to cook the rest of the rhubarb we picked sat from the garden. crows can have the rest of the scalloped potatoes. discovered old lunchmeat too like 5 weeks expired so they get that too. library run and groceries tomorrow. of course kids asleep so peaceful so far. time for second coffee and laundry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Contrary Housewife. The strawberries were 89 cents and they were sweet and good size.

Dgd and I put up 5 quarts of strawberries, 7 more half pints of strawberry jam and 3 1/2 quarts of dill pickles. My freezer is getting full and that makes me happy.
    Last edited by Grammarbug123; 07-02-2020 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Wrong word

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M, I use the garlic scapes in cooking if they are soft enough. I often use them in pesto, puree them with olive oil and parmesan and basil leaves and that will freeze in ice cube trays. Don't know if I will make it to Aldi this week, will see on Monday if we need anything.

DH took some time to go over the basement cabinets with me this morning. We measured and found that the plan I initially had was not going to work. 83" ceiling, 90" cabinet.... plus ceiling vent right in the middle in the way.... so worked out some alternatives. Nobody at the home store when I went by today.. will call tomorrow and make an appt for next week....

It wasn't a completely wasted trip, I was able to get fresh bagels for the week, and stopped at Sprouts for a few things. I haven't been in there in ~4 months. All the bulk foods are bagged up now in 1/2lb or 1 lb bags. They had brown rice, which for some reason is getting hard to find. Also bought lettuce, because my garden lettuce is getting bitter from the heat.

Jetts, on a day like today I wouldn't care if the water was cold, either. Hope the grass grows in around your pool and it is looking better soon. Maybe you can put some flowers around it for the summer?

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Grammarbug123 View Post
    Contrary Housewife. The strawberries were 89 cents and they were sweet and good size.

Dgd and I put up 5 quarts of strawberries, 7 more half pints of strawberry jam and 3 1/2 quarts of dill pickles. My freezer is getting full and that makes me happy.
    wow never that cheap here.. local ones about $5 a lb or more now good on you for stocking up