Frugal Challenge: December 7-December 13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Frugal Challenge: December 7-December 13

I hope no one minds me starting this thread, but I woke up early this morning and was lying in bed really trying to figure out how to become more frugal in the weeks and months ahead. I realize that we've been doing some good things, but there are always more to do. Unfortunately, it's our week to buy bagels for the family get together this afternoon, so we start out on a not-so-frugal note, but following that, I hope to be frugal once again.

*I am digging out the retractable clothesline from where dh must have put it when he redid the basement and AM hanging laundry after it is washed today. I will NOT rest until I do that.

*I'm going to match up my coupons with the store flyer to make sure I get the best deal on things, and already I know there are some things that I can stock up on from this weeks sale that we'll be needing in the weeks ahead.

*Will be using our $15.00 ShopRite reward thing from our American Express card to apply to our grocery bill today. (They apparently had a double rewards program over the summer and forgot to issue us our double rewards. So, they came with the last bill!)

*Dinner will be from the pantry.

*Keeping the heat as low as possible (between 58 and 61) even though the weather outside is frightful!

*Going to make a meal plan for the week and stick to it so we don't eat out.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree Amy. I think there are many more ways to save. I just haven't found them all yet.

Today I will start by:

~clipping coupons and putting them with sales ads

~shredding some paper to use in packages to be mailed out

~hanging clothes out to dry

~paying bills online (no stamps to use and paid before due date avoiding late charges!)

~using slow cooker to make chili PLUS using FREE meat that was given to us! (deer meat that was already processed into chili meat.)

~heat is off....only turn on at night. I leave it at 68/70 when on.

~handwashing dishes

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Amy and Michelle! Sounds like you are both doing some great things to save money today!!!

Today we stayed home from church since DH wasn't feeling well and I hate driving 1 1/2 hours each way on icy roads myself. Saved $ right there in gas since our van is not economical when it comes to gas milage.

We baby sat for some friends last night and they brought over a huge package of sausages for us. Today the leftover sausages are simmering in the crockpot with BBQ sauce that I got for about .24 cents a bottle this summer. I still need to make 4 loaves of bread to start us out this week.

I'm planning a run to the dollar store later this week and stock up
    on cold meds. DH has a wicked cold and he will need these to help get him through until he is healed. The kids and I also need to get our "gifts" for the White Elephant exchange here at home Christmas morning.

Yesterday I made a big casserole, so today's lunch is either that or leftover turkey noodle soup. Both are delicious, so no one is complaining.

Our entertainment today is watching the video Pearl Harbor that we borrowed from the library. How appropriate since today is the Anniversary of it's bombing. Having grown up in Hawaii and knowing people that actually witnessed the bombings and visiting the Arizona Memorial have brought it home in a very real way to me.
    Later tonight we'll watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation since this a a family favorite and I get such a kick out of it! It's on TV tonight.

I plan on starting my Christmas baking this week. I have most of the ingredients that I need already, so I'll make those thing first and see how the finances go for the rest of the week before I buy anything else.

I didn't buy a newspaper today even though I need the coupons. I'm hoping to find some at the library where they put all the ads and coupons in a basket and let you take the coupons if you wish. Money is really tight here right now and I need to save every penny that I can.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Amy anyone can start this thread each week. I love when others start it and get it going. And I love this thread, it keeps me looking for new ways to be even more frugal.

We had our craft sale today, so dh drove us. Rather than drive all the way home and then come back and get me (he has to drive me there, the boxes are just too heavy to carry), I packed lunch for him, along with bottled water and some cookies. He and the boys stayed in the van, reading and listening to football on the radio. Saved on gas and the van.

Instead of going out for supper, just before I left I put a roast in the slow cooker. It was cooked perfectly when we got home. Usually we go out for a meal after a craft sale, costing us around $40. So I saved that amount by putting that roast in the oven.

I wanted a fish bowl with a Betta fish in it, along with a plant. It was $30. So instead of paying for it, I asked the lady if she would barter a clock for the bowl. She agreed and was glad to not have to pack the bowl up and take it home. The kids are thrilled over this fish.

Keep it up ladies, your doing great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel I'm backsliding terribly in this area. We are just so short of $ right now, but I'm trying to keep my chin up - things are always tight in Dec. I continue to work on the little things around the house, including cooking from the pantry which is huge for me! Dh has been working hard on our bathroom remodel and has done all of the work himself saving lots of $. The only thing we'll be paying for is to have the drywall mudded and taped. We can do this (finished the basement on our own in our old house), it just takes too long and we'd like a professional looking job. I'm hoping since the guy that's doing it is a good friend of bil, that he'll give us a good deal. Today we started up the wood stove again - I've just been so cold!! Our cows should be having their calves within the next couple of weeks, so there's some future income for us - we're hoping to be able to sell the meat (in 14 months) outright to bring in some $$$.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sunday - 7 December - no money spent...only went to church, no unnecessary stops or trips....

Now for today - to not spend money needlessly today, I will ~

~ clip some more coupons for the commissary sale that starts on the 14th...hoping we won't need anything but that dream is slowly fading...

~ keep all lights off & windows open for natural lighting...

~ not turn the TV on - Christmas music is playing on the computer....

~ fix sides for dinner that were given to us by Ryan's mom - they didn't like them (Rice-A-Roni type of stuff....)

~ hang our towels on the line...

~ make a few more Christmas presents from some of the wonderful hints posted here!

~ break out those knitting needles and give it another go....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today should be a fairly frugal day for us. Both dh and I packed our lunches, and dinner will be from the pantry. No plans for this evening - we shouldn't be able to spend $ while we're at home!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No $$ spent here today.

~all blinds open, letting in the sun to heat the house. We are having such warm weather here, I'm afraid what January will bring. I'll take each day its warm, BUT the farmer's are very concerned. No snow and warm weather is not a good combination for 2 years of drought already.

~using less laundry soap (its amazing what little amount you need to use)

~mixing adult cat food. I bought a huge bag of the cheaper stuff and I'm mixing it with a bag of the more expensive stuff. It stretches it and our cats don't mind. With 2 cats and 3 kittens, the cost is getting pretty high!!

~will have leftovers for supper tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's snowing here this morning, so we still have to have our lights on even with the curtains open. Trying to save $ today by doing the following:

~I didn't buy a newpaper yesterday, but was able to get the coupon inserts from our neighbor (that's all I wanted the paper for).

~Having leftovers for lunch and homemade granola for breakfast. Dinner will be something from the pantry and freezer.

~We are going to work on our homemade scented pinecones today if they are dried out enough.

~Return videos to library to avoid overdue fines.

~Work on afghan for my niece.

~May make a run into town and see if I can get more coupon inserts at the library. That all depends on if some checks finally come in!

~Counting my many blessings and realizing that I don't need alot of stuff to make me happy!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tonight we have to go out of town to Chris' basketball game, so there will be at least $6 spent on entry.

~Heat is off

~Blinds are open

~take leftovers for lunch

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today our savings were made by:

~no money spent

~leftovers taken to work

~no heat on

~handwashing dishes

~finishing up homemade presents

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well I blew it today. Not only did we go out for supper, I purchased 3 magazines today (unheard of for me). Other than that, I only spent money on groceries.

I'll do better tomorrow!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No $ spent today... ds and I stayed home all day and dh ate breakfast here and packed his lunch. The guy who will be finishing our drywall in the bathroom and upstairs room stopped by last night and dh is able to trade jobs with him (dh is an electrician) to make the cost a little easier to handle. Each day it sounds more and more like dss won't be coming home for Christmas, so we won't have to purchase a plane ticket. I need to send out my Christmas packages tomorrow, but since I'm done earlier than usual, I can just use Priority Mail and not have to pay extra for shipping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hubby spent about $2 for something he had to have. Other than that, if was a pretty frugal day. The kids and I had leftovers for lunch and then everyone just kind of got what they wanted for dinner tonight. I was blessed with a dozen farm fresh eggs today, so I called a friend to tell her not to worry about bringing any with ehr tomorrow for our candy house making. DH is taking his lunch to work each day, so that is saving us big time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

*Packed everyone's lunch today.

*I have not found my retractable clothesline yet, but I'm putting dh on the case tonight.

*Heat is off.

*Printing things out at school instead of at home so I don't use our paper or ink.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast