Spinoff : Counting/Simplifying Challenge
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Spinoff : Counting/Simplifying Challenge

[ame="https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78912"]How much is enough? - Frugal Village Forums[/ame]
    Then I thought, I wonder how much "stuff" is in this house. Like if I really went around and literally counted every item in this house - every book, pencil, rubber band, lego, socks, shoes, shirts, spoon etc. How many things are just in the junk drawer? One room? How many "things" do we have?
    This has gotten me to thinking...how many things do we really have? I challenge everyone to take a day (or 5) and count as many things in your home as you can (all if you have the time and want to put forth the effort!). Then see how many of those things you can rid of, oh...let's say...before March 1st.

Some guidelines:
    ~ EVERYTHING counts. A crib that also has a mobile, matress, matress pad, crib sheet and dust ruffle is 6 items rather than 1. Have an old box filled to the brim with off season clothes? Count them all! However, when it comes to things like food...a box of popcorn is just one item rather than 6 for the amount of bags you have in it.

~ Don't freak out when you find out how many items you have - I'm sure you have WAY more than you thought!

I guess that's about it. Even if no one else does this - I'm doing it . The counting will, of course, be the hardest part! Well, I'm off to count!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can't count 'til we get home again (after Jan 1st) but I'm in!!

Just think of all the *junk* we have! Do we really NEED 34 twisty ties off bread bags?

I think this will be FUN! I can't wait to see how big the numbers get for all of us! I'm going to throw out a guess for the highest number -- 40,000 !

((I'm also guessing that it will be a house that has alot of legos!))

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You've got to be kidding! I couldn't even begin to count! I bet I have 40,000 items in my art studio alone! I am loaded with junk! And what about filing cabinets filled with family history records? Is each page an 'item'? We have the equivalent of 10 drawers in that alone! The Lego got banished to the garage - no room in the house and no little ones to use it at the moment.

Sorry ladies, I won't count what I have, but I will count what I'm throwing out, okay? Sounds like a good time to de-clutter...

Jean

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    even The Lego got banished to the garage - no room in the house and no little ones to use it at the moment.

Sorry ladies, I won't count what I have, but I will count what I'm throwing out, okay? Sounds like a good time to de-clutter...

Jean
    LOL~ I think counting what goes out should be just as good!! I guess what matters is that it finds it's way out !

Registered User mumof2gorgeousgirls's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Red face Goodness me! (m)

what a task! I couldn't count everything here if I had a year to do it! I do have a huge box of Lego that must have a few thousand pieces in it though. I'm going even smaller than Jean I think. Might just count the bags of stuff I get rid of. LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This would take me forever, there are 7 of us and 6 animals. The twins alone have 2 huge buckets of lego and a large storage tote full of race track pieces. I'd guess they were about 40,000 items in their 2 rooms never mind the rest of the house, then you add in the makeup of 2 teenage girls!! Oh my goodness!

I will count everything I get rid of though, I was a packrat a few years ago(husband still is) but then I found flylady and discovered decluttering is alot of fun.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

LOL ~ I didn't even *think* about the dreaded make-up drawer!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well I tossed some scrap fabric today. Decided to make what I could into quilts, but the leftovers go in the garbage. No more saving things to make quilts! It's cut to standard size, or out the door! So...hmmm...# of things tossed...I'd say we're talking 3 different fabrics, but lots of scraps of each...actually about a grocery bag full. Not much, but it's a start.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday I went through a few boxes of hand me down clothes and mine and one kids dressers. When I was done a total of 230 items were bagged to go. Dh took them down to the salvation army drop off right away so they are out of the house. I'm keeping a tally chart on the inside of the cupboard, so I can just make a quick mark when something goes.

How is everyone else doing counting stuff???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

OMG, I wanna do this , but we have soooo much stuff!!! I don't even open our closets anymore...ah what the heck. I'm in!

One of my goals is to sell stuff on ebay, this gives me a good excuse to actually do it..lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OMG I totally have tons of stuff but I will try my best, my makeup drawer and perfume/bath products collection alone is over 250 items! lol Count me in but give me ALOT of time to get things counted, I will go room my room and see what I come up with. I cant do the kitchen though cause we are remodeling it right now but I will do the back pantry room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My original thoughts were that we do have soooo much stuff in today's day and age. I've been watching Little House on the Prarie lately and the girls were excited that they got a tin cup for Xmas cause now they had their own cup. I have fantasies about living in a log cabin with minimal stuff.

My other random thought was that how could I "want" anything if I have so much stuff. How could I want another sweater if I already have a stack of sweaters? I tell the kids not to be greedy and want stuff, but where is that line for me?

I'd probably throw up if I counted it all. - the number is far greater than necessity. And we're not a cluttered house. Counting it seems like an overwhelming, daunting task. Good luck to those who are that brave.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'd rather count what I keep than what I get rid off. That way I can use not having to count it as an incentive to get it out.

I am scrubbing/decluttering/finishing the house by section, so I will count as I go. Might as well make a list of it all as I go, and keep it for insurance purposes.

I am starting in the easiest areas, so my numbers are going to start low and then skyrocket when I get to the furnace room.

I refuse to count my daughter's room, I'm sure she has more than the rest of the house combined.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'ts funny that this came up. About 2 weeks ago, I decided to go thru the house, room by room and clean out everything. I'ts been one of those things that I have wanted (needed) to do for some time now. Well I probably won't count everthing I have, but maybe what I throw out. Deal?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by crazyBMB View Post
    I'ts funny that this came up. About 2 weeks ago, I decided to go thru the house, room by room and clean out everything. I'ts been one of those things that I have wanted (needed) to do for some time now. Well I probably won't count everthing I have, but maybe what I throw out. Deal?
    Some, like me and you are counting what we are getting rid of and others are counting what they have, I think it's a great challenge whichever way you decide to do it!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast