Home Brewers?

Thread: Home Brewers?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Home Brewers?

Just curious if there are any home brewers around here! We like to drink a good beer at night, when everything is done and kids are in bed. I've been brewing for a year now. It is frugal to brew it yourself if you're going to buy and drink it anyway!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a friend who makes her own wine, all different flavors,,when I cut her son's hair she usually sends me a bottle......blackberry has been my favorite,,,,yummy......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH had done both beer and wine. Last September he made a batch of Watermelon wine that was to die for! Didn't think I'd like it but I love it. He gave some out as Christmas gifts and actually had people asking if they could buy more from him! I'm hording the last 5 bottles! *lol*

Debbie in Missouri

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My father makes his own wine and usually gives us a dozen bottles or so a year. We are going to start making both beer and wine as it is cheaper than buying and does make great gifts. I think it will be fun as well, trying to perfect the taste.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make beer and have the juice for a batch of pinot noir. I love homebrewing. If you like beer, you should homebrew. End of story. I also roast coffee at home. Again, if you like coffee you should roast your own. Our house is very popular when the kegerators are full!

Christy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by checkerkitty View Post
    I make beer and have the juice for a batch of pinot noir. I love homebrewing. If you like beer, you should homebrew. End of story. I also roast coffee at home. Again, if you like coffee you should roast your own. Our house is very popular when the kegerators are full!

Christy
    Nice! I completely agree! I just kegged an English Bitter. mmm. And coffee! I'm glad you mentioned that. I have been thinking about that for awhile, I would like to go for it. What kind of roaster do you use? I had read about using one of those stovetop popcorn poppers, (I'm a bit skeptical on that one, but not sure), and have seen a range of roasters.

Well, happy brewing! And roasting!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh used to homebrew when we were first married over 20 years ago & then the price went up on ingredients as more & more people started home brewing. Haven't checked the price difference lately. It really is a nice hobby.
    English Bitter was his fav to brew.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been looking into homebrewing and it sounds like a lot of fun. As soon as we have a house with a basement I'm starting. The only prob is my DH doesn't really drink so I hope our new neighbors like beer. I'll need someone to help me drink it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been thinking about this for a while now. If you don't mind, please tell me more about what you do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Hi! To get started I had to purchase a 6 gallon glass carboy, an air lock, syphon tubing, a bottling bucket (food grade plastic with a water tight spigot at the bottom), a high temp thermometer and a hydrometer. I already had funnels and a 5 gallon stainless steel pot. So, it was a bit of an investment, but we like to drink a bit of beer, and we like craft beer, so it's definately paid for itself! It's pretty simple. I use grains + barley malt extract, which is simpler than using all grains. It takes me a few hours (lots of waiting in between) to get a batch going. Basically, you bring the grains (grains in a mesh bag to make things easier) to a near boil (2.5 - 3 gallons water), remove the grain, add extract syrup and a portion of hops, let it boil for an hour (adding more hops somewhere along the way, depending on recipe), cool the brew down (sink of ice water), pour brew through a filtered funnel (to catch hops) straight into the carboy. Add more water to equal 5 gallons, pitch the yeast and add an air lock, and wait! Usually 10 - 14 days. Then it's ready to bottle or keg. I keg, because it's faster and easier. That's the basic way I do it. I skipped some details because there are a lot of good sites on line, just search 'homebrewing'. But it gives an idea of time/effort involved. I was surprised how easy 'basic' brewing can be. And how good the product! If you have a local homebrew shop, they are usually so friendly and have much better deals than on line shops. They might offer free classes too. I started brewing just for fun, but since I've become, or am trying to become, more frugal, I notice I do save money, but only because we bought quite a bit of spendy beer before. It would be more frugal to quit drinking beer, lol! But I don't want to do that! And 1 batch makes 5 gallons. When I do bottle, I usually get 48 - 50 bottles of beer. That lasts a long time. I can make a batch for $25 (prices have gone up recently, it used to be $20 tops), so when I compare that price to microbrew prices I'm saving at least 50%. I'm happy with that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

I should have mentioned, the prices I gave are for the beers I brew. I could brew a batch for as low as $18. And if I start all-grain brewing, I could brew a batch for $12.

I hope you try it, it's a lot of fun!