Anyone make their own yogurt? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for you!!! We love HM yoghurt. I use the top tray of my dehydrator for heat. We like to blend strawberries & bananas, add sugar & mix it in. Oh YUM!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I'm so glad you posted your sucess using all dried milk. I've been wanting to try that. My recipe calls for whole milk. It's yummy, but fattier than I'd like.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good for you! I've been wanting to try it with soymilk. Soy yogurt is SO expensive!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

good for you! I have been wanting to try to make mozzarella cheese. I love the fresh made stuff but never have tried it on my own.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by julieb View Post
    good for you! I have been wanting to try to make mozzarella cheese. I love the fresh made stuff but never have tried it on my own.
    yes..fresh mozzarella is the best! Back in my restaurant days I worked in an Italian kitchen....they made the best fresh mozzarella. I'll have to dig out the notes I took when they made it...no recipe...they made it from memory.
    It's actually very easy...just takes a bit of time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Anyone make your own yogurt?

I made my own several times using the method in TWG, but then had a couple of batches turn out runny and quit. I'm about to try again and wondered if anyone has any idiot-proof tips?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've made my own yogurt about every week or every other week for quite awhile now. I tried all different methods at first; leave it in a warmish oven, the hot water in an insulated cooler method, heating pad etc. They all seemed to turn out runny and really not much more than thick milk. Then I discovered that I could use my dehydrator to make it and I will NEVER do it any other way again. Here are the directions that I use...

Heat 1 gal. milk to about 180* (scalded but not boiling) while stirring to keep it from burning on the bottom.

Turn off the heat and let it cool to about 88*

Turn on the dehydrator to about 118* and let it warm up.

To the milk add 8 oz. plain yogurt that says "contains live cultures" and stir thoroughly.

Pour into clean quart mason jars and sit inside the dehydrator. Leave it for anywhere between 4 and 30 hrs. depending on how thick and tart you want it. I've found 6-8 hrs. to be about perfect for smooth and creamy yogurt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the info--how about putting the jars in a crockpot on low? Does it get too hot? I always used a heating pad when I did it before and it worked fine until it didn't. =D

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Christa View Post
    Thanks for the info--how about putting the jars in a crockpot on low? Does it get too hot? I always used a heating pad when I did it before and it worked fine until it didn't. =D
    Yes, I've heard that you can put the yogurt mix directly into the crockpot (instead of in jars first to save room) but I haven't tried it.

From what I gather, to make it in the crockpot you:

*scald and cool the milk just like in the dehydrator method and then add the starter

*pour the milk/yogurt mix directly into the crockpot and heat on low without the lid (cover with a dish towel instead) for 1 hr. (some crockpots get really hot really fast though so you may have to decrease this time)

*turn off the heat after an hour and let it sit for 1-2 hrs. If after 1 - 2 hrs. it's not as solidified as you'd like it then heat the crockpot for another 30 min. and then turn it off for awhile again. Repeat as many times as necessary until it's close to where you want it. The yogurt will firm up a little more once it cools in the fridge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have found that making my yogurt using good greek yogurt as starter has made for thicker yogurt. I just had to invest a couple dollars the first time and of course use my own yogurt to start now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about adding powdered milk--is it really necessary to add extra powder? I used to make it with all powdered, but dry milk is more $$$ than liquid everywhere I look these days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't have much success in the crockpot. I just bought a yogurt maker but have not used it yet. I figured I needed something a bit more reliable where the temperature is accurately controlled.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Try adding about a 1/2-3/4 dry milk with the liquid milk before scalding. I make mine in a bowl and just put it next to the woodstove wrapped in a towel and my yogurt has so far turned out thick and creamy. I use skim milk and it's so great to have totally non fat, no added sugar yogurt made fresh!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make my own yogurt. But, I picked up a yogurt maker at Tuesday Morning for a steal and use it. It seems pretty fool proof... I have no trouble with it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I LOVE my salton yogurt maker (1 quart) in makes a perfect batch everytime!! Super easy to make as well!!!Katy P.S. comes with a book and recipes too

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast