What gifts are you making this year? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ressa, one of the things I love and I bet you could easily make....those dish towels that have something on one end that you can loop over the rail on the stove or some other rail-type of thing. They usually have either a button hole or velcro closure, and sometimes tie strings. I've seen them with crocheted tops. I usually see them at craft shows and frankly, they can be rather expensive at $6-7 each for what was essentially a cheap dish towel. The only two I have left are just about ready for the garbage can and I hate that. Actually, they were ready for the garbage a while back but I don't have any others. They are so convenient when you're cooking or doing dishes and want just a quick wipe of the hands.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Boy so many great ideas-great talent here, that is for sure!!!! I will be making a TON of stuff, everyone will be getting knitted socks, and the Mother in laws will be getting huck weaved blankets, my oldest is out on her own so I will be re-doing some furniture for her. The neighbors are getting homemade cheese and jam, and last but not least everyone at work is getting homemade fudge and "soup in a jar"......I may add more later....

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So far I have made a set of fingerless gloves from this pattern: Ravelry: Peace Wristwarmers pattern by Jen Geigley

and this cabled headwarmer as a gift for my sister-in-law: Ravelry: Anthropologie Inspired Braided Headwrap pattern by Jen Geigley

I was able to make both items from one skein of Bernat Roving.

I would like to make this for my newest baby nephew and my son: Ravelry: Chinook Knit Helicopter pattern by Sarah Walter

Other people I would like to make gifts for include: Wesley's teacher, Moo's daycare provider, my niece, my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law.

I will be making snack type treats for my deployed cousin, two sets of neighbors, some old gentlemen that live around the block from us, a single Army friend of the hubby, the sweet people I sit with at church, and for all of the police officers that have to work on Christmas Eve and Day.

I want to make my neighbor (older fellow) a set of knitted slippers. Does anyone have any pattern suggestions?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I want to make my neighbor (older fellow) a set of knitted slippers. Does anyone have any pattern suggestions?
    Nice things! I particularly like the wrist warmers.

May I make one observation regarding knitted slippers for an older neighbor? I have a pair made by a friend and coincidentally, got them out this AM. They are extremely slippery on the bottom on the tile floors so I don't think I will continue using them for that reason. We "olders" don't want to risk a broken hip. Now if you can come up with an idea for something to slip-proof them, that would be great because they are definitely warm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love reading about all the creative things going on around the holidays............some neat ideas here!

Quote Originally Posted by Nadders11 View Post
    ...but i need to find more buttons.

I had more ideas, but not enough time! Maybe next year.
    Do you have a JA"s near you? See you are in Canada and not aware if Jo Ann's is up there.........they have solid colored buttons.......check with one of the fabric 'chain' stores that are in Canada............they should have them.............I would check around more before I paid that price on etsy.........that is a bit high.......IMHO!! How about thrift stores?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No Jo Ann's here but I'm gonna look at Fabricland. I need about 20 pink or purple buttons in different sizes/shapes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SueBee49 View Post

May I make one observation regarding knitted slippers for an older neighbor? I have a pair made by a friend and coincidentally, got them out this AM. They are extremely slippery on the bottom on the tile floors so I don't think I will continue using them for that reason. We "olders" don't want to risk a broken hip. Now if you can come up with an idea for something to slip-proof them, that would be great because they are definitely warm.
    Fabric puffy paint in designs on the soles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What? Purple? I thought we were looking for blue!

Anyway, out of probably a thousand buttons, all I found:

1 - 1 mm pale pink
    1 - 1 1/4 mm pale but brighter pink
    1 - 0.8 mm hot pink
    1 - 2.5 mm bright pink
    1 - 1 1/4 pinkish red

I pulled out some blue, but they were all dark navy except one pale blue. I don't recall seeing but 1-2 purples. I don't think these would do what you want. I looked online at Michaels but there bagged buttons are mixed colors.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    Fabric puffy paint in designs on the soles.
    Is this something I could add to the bottom of my knitted slippers? There is no sole, per se. They're more like a sock but knitted in the style similar to a ballet slipper.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank you for that thought. I don't think that will be a concern for this particular neighbor--mostly carpeted floors and in the winter he bundles up. My guess is that he will sleep in them. I'll ask hubs and see what he thinks, he is the one that spends the most time with neighbor.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had to reread my post, but I did say pink and purple. Lol thanks for looking.

I was at michaels and got a big thing of mixed buttons, but there was not enough variety in the individual colors to make what I want. I'll keep looking at the fabric stores.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Nadders11 View Post
    I had to reread my post, but I did say pink and purple. Lol thanks for looking.

I was at michaels and got a big thing of mixed buttons, but there was not enough variety in the individual colors to make what I want. I'll keep looking at the fabric stores.
    I know. I reread it, too. (rolling my eyes) In fact, you said purple twice! I've been trying to figure out a way I could claim color blindness instead of inability to read.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Is this something I could add to the bottom of my knitted slippers? There is no sole, per se. They're more like a sock but knitted in the style similar to a ballet slipper.

Sure just add the puffy paint on the bottom where the slipper meets the floor. Dots, stripes, zig zags, etc. work well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, sunshine. I'll see about doing that. They are really warm slippers but a bit too dangerous to wear, as is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well Im planning to finish the rest of the fabric with mini-teddybears (to donate to charity), now I just need to find the motivation lol.
    Disclaimer: European at the keyboard, unless precised, amounts are in EUR, any mistakes made because of a difference in politics, regulations or background are accidental not on purpose, please forgive me for them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast