Making My Own Shopping Bags - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Um...yeah... The last time I was at Winco was... Um, so long ago that I don't remember when it was. I don't get there often. I only get to a handful of stores right now. School is sucking every waking moment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't even know where there is a Winco, so you're ahead me at least.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toffeekit View Post
    In England, the government has decided that shops must charge us for plastic shopping bags - and why not? I already had my own collection of various-size canvas and hessian bags that I've been using for several years now but I was thinking about making my own cotton ones so I read this thread with interest.

I was thinking of recycling t-shirts into shopping bags so the comments that they do tend to be stretchy and sag with heavy loads are very helpful.

SpiritDeer mentions woven material that cat food comes in; if we had this, I would use it, for sure.

Any more Make-Your-Own links I might use? I do have a sewing machine but it's vintage (hand-cranked) so doesn't do anything tricky, just straight seams.
    try some of these:

50+ Reusable Grocery Bags You Can Make: Free Patterns : TipNut.com

Make Your Own Grocery Bags | Sew4Home

How to Make Your Own Reusable Grocery Bags

How to Make a Tote {8 beautiful free tote patterns} - Tip Junkie

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love Tipnut! That site has some great information or will lead you to it.

I have been using our reusable bags more and more. The plastic bags pile up, I can only use so many as mini-trash can liners or doggie duty bags.

Reusable T-shirt bags have been a success for me. They do stretch quite a bit but when I need more bags I am going to try making them a little smaller and the handles different.

I have been saving my bird feed bags. I cannot wait to make some bags with them. If I experience success with them I want to start selling them on my Etsy site.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been using the store canvas bags for about a decade now, and find them to be superior in all ways to plastic or paper. If I tear through a side, I sew it up. If it gets dirty, I wash it. I can get so many more groceries into a plastic bag. So far places have given enough of these out for free that I have a pile without cost. If they ever fall apart, I'll either look for more free ones, or have the wife make some from scrap cloth we have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've recently given up the idea of making feed bags into shopping bags for sale. That plastic is not very pleasant to work with, but the real killer is the time it takes to clean the dang things up. I can't wash them in the washer and washing them by hand takes too long. I won't make them up without washing them because the dust and crumbs would all end up in my machine and then any profits I might make on the bags would go into servicing the machine. I figured I'd be lucky to sell them for about $6 and at that, I would probably not be making minimum wage doing it. Not worth it to me. It's one of those ideas I really want to like, but every time I try to deal with them, I just can't like them. The noise alone drives me crazy with those things.

I still have canvas inventory from when I had my shop, and I'm going to make those up to sell instead. They're far superior to the plastic feed bags or the tee shirt bags and last forever. I can sell them for $8 each and make four per hour. That was my going rate back when I was selling them to various local businesses, and I know I will make back my investment in the materials and still have a decent wage for my labor. That works better for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12