Hand made lavendar lotion by DaisyLady

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Hand made lavendar lotion by DaisyLady

Some of the homesteaders in the Down on the Homestead thread wanted one of my easy recipes for home (hand) made lotion. This is a very basic one using easy to find ingredients.

Lavender Moisturiser

Ingredients:

1-cup sweet almond oil infused with ½ cup dried lavender or 1 cup fresh lavender
    ½ cup distilled or spring water
    2-3 tablespoons melted beeswax (I grate my beeswax and then measure it so that I can add it to my oil and melt it easily and mess free)
    5 drops each of Benzoin and myrrh essential oils

Warm oil and water in separate containers. (I heat my oil gently in the microwave 1 to 1 ½ minutes on high with the grated beeswax and then stir it gently to melt (you may need another 30 seconds in the micro) Add melted beeswax to warmed oil. Remove from heat and slowly pour water into oil while whisking constantly. Once my oil is heated I put it in the small bowl of my stand mixer (I only use this one for my lotions) and then add the warmed water to it while running the blender on very low. It should begin to emulsify quickly. Mix with blender or whisk until cooled. Add essential oils and whisk once more before transferring to clean tubs with tight fitting lids. For a thinner lotion you can add a bit more water and put into a bottle instead. If you want a thicker cream you can add a bit more beeswax and/or cut down on the amount of water by about 2-3 tablespoons.

Instructions: for a hot/cold infusion
    To infuse oil with herbs, place oil and herbs in top of double boiler making sure that all plant material is covered. Place over as low heat as possible for 3 hours. You only want to gently heat the oil. Overheating will destroy the benefits of the herbs. Turn of the heat and let it sit overnight or for up to one week. Strain and use.

Feel free to use this for your own personal use. This is my own recipe that I have developed over several years.

Heather Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, Chriss, thank you so much! Sounds wonderful...I LOVE lavender and most of the ingredients I can get at our health food store.

Tina Bob
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Chriss!! I'll have to try this as soon as we have money coming in again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks Chriss, I'm going to see if I can find the supplies. I love lavendar too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I missed this before - thanks Chriss!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm glad you missed it and therefore bumped it up....thanks for the recipe!!