I need ideas!!!!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I need ideas!!!!

I desperately need some other ideas for space saving...I thought that we were doing pretty well with what we had been using...but now the older 4 houseapes have jobs & are buying more for themselves...which equals to more clutter & no where to put it.lol
    My question is...would anyone here have any ideas on how to make space saving items from everyday things that most of us have on hand?I really don't have the funds to go out & buy rubbermaid totes & shelving,etc. Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually save the shoe boxes that come when you but a pair of shoes/sneakers, I re-use these for everything to small electronics, to paper, etc... You can always label the box with the persons name and contents.

I have also used old photo boxes for the same concept.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I keep small items in the plastic over the door shoe caddies. I also like open shelves over drawers... I can see where things go and am more likely to put them there! lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am trying to retrain myself, as I declutter my home, to live with the rule of tossing out 1-2 things for every one new thing that comes in. Maybe you could set a similar rule for your kids... if they buy themselves something new, they have to get rid of old things to make room for it. Limit them to X amount of personal space, and it's up to them to make things fit.

There are some good articles on about.com about organizing, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Amy that's a good idea too! Lucky for me, my oldest is living on campus and according to him the things he has here he wants to take with him, my other DS well he already has plans to move in with a friend when get's back home, so most likely he will take his things with him as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually find the tomato boxes from the grocery store and tape a piece of cardboard to the bottom to cover the big hole and the fill it, put the lid on and stack in the corner. Of course these are things I dont need to use often so somtimes I'll toss an old ratty towel/bedsheet over it to make a table or counter etc.

But Im trying to do what Amy suggested....if you bring something in, something has to go out to make room for it. Just explain to the kids that the house isnt big enough for their stuff and that you're imposing a new rule. AND NO, the basement isnt for storage LOL.

HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we declutter every 3-4 months & already have a limit on clothing in the closets. I've already told them that they have to thin out their belongings...the tough thing is...is that alot of what they have are collector's items....any ideas of what we could use for shelving without having to go to the store? the type of shelving that could be hung up over door frame tops, so the little houseapes won't get into their older siblings things?lol. All of these suggestions that I am recieving are helpful, thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i agree that they have to get rid of somethings if they want more things. but i would tell them that they have to use some of this money they are making for the household. if they want to contribute to the "clutter" then they have to contribute to the storage and organization of that "clutter" JMO

hopefully they will either trash some stuff or at least buy a rubbermaid to hold it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

funny you should mention shelving

We are remodeling the house and we realized we have a lot of things... we each have a set of collectables and needed to put them somewhere cat-friendly... ovedr the doors!!! We ran simple board shelving around the room and over the door. Amazing what room you have when you think ABOVE the box!

How to do it with things on-hand... that's difficult because I don't know what you have on hand...

Ideas for above the box storage... can you crochet??? can you sew??? can you paint???

Little house apelettes most likely have stuffed animals, make a 'cargo net' fisherman style... give them a treetop view of the jungle.

I have something like this in our closets, custom made to the sizes we need - http://familycrafts.about.com/gi/dyn...6CATID%3D25292

Store a sleeping bag on top of a mattress, underneath the fitted sheet, which will hold it in place.

Store things under the bed in the drawer from an old dresser that you no longer in use. Place the handles outward so it is easy to pull.

I also have some links that has a lot of ideas...

http://www.betterbudgeting.com/artic.../onabudget.htm
    http://www.allthingsfrugal.com/h_wallstorage.htm
    http://www.thefrugallife.com/bonus_storage.html

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Those are some great ideas! I am going to bookmark this thread for easy finding later

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just book marked all the links too. Also, you're right about making the kiddos spring for the storage stuff...they already contribute to the utilities & groceries...why not the storage containers??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Paper boxes are also good to store items in. They stack easily and have lids.