How are u managing with the rising cost of food - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie-cat View Post
    We have been trying to go meatless twice a week. It is difficult as DH doesn't consider it dinner unless there is meat on the table.

Watching sales, couponing and picking up the loss leaders.

Getting creative in the kitchen.

Eating from garden.

It's only going to get worse I am afraid.
    Then DH needs to either make more money or cut back in other areas so he can have that meat. *wicked snicker*

Just teasin', I just remember my dad getting on my mom's case when there wasn't meat on the table and I always thought, "then YOU do the budget, YOU figure it out!" they can't just put it all on the woman, you know??

*end sexist rant*

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's been very hard. We will have a Save-U-Foods opening up hopefully soon in the town next to us. Otherwise, no salvage food stores, no Aldi's, no Angel Food Ministeries.

For the past couple of weeks we have eaten only frozen and canned veggies and fruits because fresh was beyond our budget. This week they will have some fresh at fairly decent prices, so will get a few fresh items again.

Using less meat than the recipe calls for. Making almost all recipes because then usually the food gets eaten with the exception of my last recipe that no one liked and I ate some of it, but the rest went into the trash. Shopping from the stockpile. Using down the meats in the freezer before they get freezer burned and then I will buy fresh again.

Using coupons, buying off brands and finding cheaper alternatives when I can without the family minding.

Each week I have to get more and more creative. It can be a little harder in the summer when FIL does not like me to turn on the oven because we have no air conditioner in the kitchen.

I am reading all of the replies and learning from all of you.

A2M

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    Then DH needs to either make more money or cut back in other areas so he can have that meat. *wicked snicker*

Just teasin', I just remember my dad getting on my mom's case when there wasn't meat on the table and I always thought, "then YOU do the budget, YOU figure it out!" they can't just put it all on the woman, you know??

*end sexist rant*

Actually that's kind of funny because I have found myself saying, "what do you want me to do, perform magic?"

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always check the "quick sale" area for meat. If I don't plan to use what I find that day I just pop it in the freezer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Actually that's kind of funny because I have found myself saying, "what do you want me to do, perform magic?"
    Polly that made me giggle! Same type of comments here!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a very sensitive stomach and been made sick by quick sale meat. We have 3 stores here and 2 are owned by the same company pretty much a monopoly here. I guess I have to be watchful of what I spend thanks.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

oheoh's momma, do you happen to have any butcher shops around? or farmers markets with butcher cases? I ask because we have a butcher that's quite a bit away that does once a month sales. We go in with a group of people and get their deals. Our shop even offered peanut butter for $1 a jar (that's why I have so many) I just buy whatever is cheapest. Often times it's chicken legs and I'll get a 40# case.

The other thing I do is create an envelope (from my Christmas gift money) to do a farmer's market cold storage stock up when the weather starts to cool. I'll buy 100# bags of potatoes (I'm afraid to know the price on them this year) and apples, onions, and this year I'm throwing in pumpkins. They keep a long time in cold storage.

I don't know if this would help you any, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do something like that too. We save money all along and in July buy 1 or 2 bins of nectarines from the orchard, then divide them up into bushels or 1/2 bushels and sell them to family and friends for enough to cover our expenses. They still get a huge bargain! We usually can/freeze.dry 10-13 bushels. We do the same with apples in September. A bin is around 20 bushels.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, my dh has been unable to find summer jobs for the last few years. He's a teacher at the high school and at the community college here for the rest of the year. His high school pay is split up to cover the summer, but we have to do without the community college pay in summer so we're short about $500 extra for June, July, August and Sept. I have been couponing some and we've been living off of our income tax money. He walked to work most days for the last four or five months to save there. I homeschool the kids so only fill up our van about once a month most months. As a result we've been able to use the little bit of extra during that time for groceries. I put in a tiny garden that has just started putting out squash and peppers last week. I'm still waiting on the turnips, peas, beans, carrots, and cukes. My parents are giving us squash and cukes from their garden and will be getting lots of other stuff in later.

I buy potatoes when they go on sale and get two bags. They last us a long time. We get free eggs from our chickens, more than we can eat so I sell the extras for a little money. Our dogs' food is expensive, but a large bag (not sure of pounds) will last us a month or more. The store where we buy it gives away good-sized sample bags with any purchase so I always make sure to grab one whenever we go in and buy anything. There have been weeks when we were out of regular dog food and these sample bags fed our dogs! My parents bring extra snacks for the kids and even frozen meals and things for my oldest son who eats a lot. They even bought him a fridge for his room and stock it! My Mom brings any freebies from work that she can. When the drug reps bring stuff and all of it doesn't get eaten, it just gets wasted and thrown out. It doesn't happen often, but we've gotten whole meals that way like lasagna, garlic bread, and salad, etc. I go to Sam's occasionally and buy a few things, but you really have to know your prices to luck out there or you can mess up. I buy stuff like almonds, carrots, popcorn, cheese, baked snack goods in bulk there...sometimes fruit (you have to be careful here though 'cause some of their prices are no cheaper than the grocery stores).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This year I am hoping to try dehydrating some fruits... never done this before so I am hoping it is successful

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well...I am a recipient of Food Stamps....for the last few years, my monthly allowance was WAY more than what my family used...and it carried over from month to month. At one point I had over $1,000 on my EBT card.....Now this year....My allowance has gone up slightly from month to month, and I'm finding it hard to get by with what I am given. Still buying the same foods in the same quantities.....So now I find myself going to Aldi's more often, and eating more meat free meals. I really need to sit down and plan some "cheap" and healthy meals. Before I didn't have to worry about it, just bought whatever we felt like eating and all that....now by the end of the month I'm worried weather I will make it til the day my allowance is put in. So the other day when we went shopping I stocked up on dried beans and rice. Farmer's markets are awesome, we have one just a few blocks from my house....but they are expensive.....I can get produce cheaper at aldi's.....I would hate to give up my farmer's markets...but to be able to make my food dollars stretch further, I think I may have to forego the markets and stick with aldi's. I have been trying to coupon more and watch sales...but on average, Aldi's is the way to go. We are a family of 3, and I am having a hard time making do with just under $400 a month in my foodstamp allowance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Inspirational is all i have to say...

You are truly amazing.....and after reading this post i have absolutey no reason to complain...thank you for posting this and helping me set my priorities straight...

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    I can not raise my grocery budget regardless of price increases. It's been a pretty rough go here as I now spend less then 1/2 of what my food budget was when I was first married almost 2 decades ago. We fall way below the $21 per person, a week the government says is required to feed yourself and these food price increases have really been a challenge. So here's what I have been doing.

~Beans and beans, lots of beans in everything. It keeps you full. I put them in baked goods, pancakes, meatballs, meatloaf, etc. And we eat a lot of bean dishes, and bean spreads, dips, etc.

~Food thrift stores & discount stores. Huge help. Just today I made 2 banana cream pies for just $2.50 a pie. It can be made even cheaper but I cheated and used premade pie crusts, a box of pudding and coolwhip. If I had made it totally from scratch it would have come out to just over 50 cents a pie. Which leads me to my next way I save money.

~I make from scratch mixes to help keep cost down. Pudding mixes, white sauce mixes, cake mixes, corn muffin mixes. muffin mix, pancake mix, etc.

~ Buying large bags of staples instead of 5# bags, If I find something on sale I'll spend almost my entire food budget on it (I'm trying to build a deep pantry) But not things like soy sauce because that would be too much to get used. At this moment I've got a good bit of rice, 25# of flour, 25# of sugar, a few cans of cocoa, 7 bottles of soy sauce, 30 boxes of low carb pasta, 25 jars of pasta sauce, 13 jars of peanut butter, 15 cans of tuna, 50# of beans & 30 cans of beets. 1 gallon of shampoo concentrate that will make 8 gallons, 6 tubes of toothpaste, feminine products, 2 bottles of hair conditioner and 4 bars of Fels-Naptha soap. Since I bought everything at discount prices I can make our money go further then just going shopping weekly and hoping that I have enough food to make it through the week. Before I started doing this there were times that I didn't eat so someone else could, or I'd spend all week being the food police dividing up food and threatening bodily harm (not really, but almost) if someone just went in and grabbed themselves something, I never would have had enough to make it and we all would have went hungry.

~My DH has a garden and we had always froze the harvest, but this year I'm learning to can and dehydrate.

~I have a wonderful MIL who brings us gifts of food and other things. She usually brings us $20 or so in food each month. She brings clothes for the kids and sometimes my DH. Sometimes cleaning supplies or a new kitchen gadget or utensil for me. And she brings me stacks of coupons which sometimes are a great help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess having an Italian family has come in handy these days. We have always had 2 nights of pasta since forever ago. And if it were up to my hubby, we'd have even more. Needless to say, I "over stock" on the bogo pasta sales, and my Albertson's runs a bogo sales on the Italian ring sausage, that I cut to link sizes. I would usually cut it up to good size links, but lately, I'm making the links shorter to make more out of it, and nobody noticed. This way I have a couple of links left over for hubby's lunch. Since my sauce is from acratch, I get away with spending less than $10 for 2 nights of feeding 6. And if should somehow wind up with extra sauce, I'll do meatball heroes. And that's where I use my trick for getting a good buy on chop meat. When I started paying closer attention to meat prices, more times than not, I noticed that a chuck or round roast was cheaper by the lb. than the already ground round or ground chuck. Sometimes by as much as a dollar. So now when I see it that way, I ask the store butcher to grind the roast for me. Now I LOVE the lower price, but best part is that I know exactly what's in my chop meat. I've heard too many horror stories about e-coli in chop meat due to fecal matter......ewwww!

I also have Publix here, and they are great for letting you "piggy-back" your coupons, even on BOGO sales. This past Tuesday, I bought 8 packs of Oreos for $.50 (reg. $2.50) each there. That was because I was able to combine Target coupons (they accept these at my store), along w/mftr coupons. Did the same thing with Oscar Meyer lunch meat on BOGO. I wound up getting 12 of them for about $.80 a pkge. regularly $4.19. I was doing my "happy coupon lady dance" that night.....lol! I spent $29, and saved exactly $60.

Now what would I do without coupons? I think I could put up a good argument with the naysayers, kwim?

Loved this topic!! You girls ROCK!!!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just went to Walmart yesterday and everything I looked at the price had went up 10-15 cents, I thought this was the rollback place ha ha ha !!!! what a joke.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Think all of us are struggling.........I am only lucky in that I only have me to feed ---from the reg. store. Have two critters to feed too...........but I make sure I measure out their food......this also keeps them 'within' a healthy weight.

I have changed the brands of things I will buy....IE: was priced out of the two sausages that I liked.......so I went to a local meat market that grinds their own. It is over $1 a pound cheaper.

I watch the sales closer and don't let my stockpile get as low before I buy one or two items again..........at this point figuring the price will only go up.

I will be giving away very little of my garden this year---even if I have a decent one----and will put it to use for me.......preserving all that I can.

I think we will be in this mess until very late 2012.......or even early 2013..........a large part due to politics!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast