How are u managing with the rising cost of food - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

By making DH do the grocery shopping - He can make the $$$$s stretch better than I can. I just checked on the 80/20 hamburg he bought - $4.79/lb!!! Oh Lord what is this all coming to?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stay out of the grocery store... I hate going! I have a stockpile and I've been eating from that. What I can't get at the discount Grocery Outlet, I do without. It's not the I can't afford it, it's that I choose not too. It's a matter of principle. Our cabin is near the Yakima Valley, where they grow produce in ample quantity. My plan is to do a lot of canning this year. It is cheaper, but mostly, I know what is in it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I adore my salvage grocery store, and I try just not to buy anything that I don't need.

well, that's about the best I can do to survive - just try not to buy anything I don't need.

the pets are killing me though!!

why do I have so many again?? Anyone want a cat???

(just kidding)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We FINALLY have an Aldi's in town, which has already helped me just in one visit. I shop Kroger, Walmart, Aldi's, and Dollar General for groceries (using my price book). All except Aldi's are within 5 miles of me, and I can go to Aldi's when I have errands on the other side of town. I also have kept a close eye on Angel Food's menus and will order from it for the first time this month.

Like Bumplett, I have critters, and they really take a chunk out of my budget, but oh, they add so much to my life. I just cut back in other areas. To me, they are worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A Save-A-Lot will be opening next month in a town nearby. I have plans to carpool twice a month with a two gals from bible study to the store to shop. Right now, we have no Aldi's, Angel Food Ministeries nor any grocery salvage stores. This will be a help in the budget.

A2M

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went today, and started with Dollar Tree for laundry soap and oxy-stuff, dog food, pork rinds, paper products, drink mix, and a couple of greeting cards for some weddings coming up.

Then Aldi's for chicken, eggs, dairy, bacon, and they had some nice fresh veggies and strawberries today. Oh, and plastic wrap and napkins.

Then Kroger for their loss leaders, meat, salad they had on sale, and a few other of their sale items, and some items I had coupons for.

I STILL couldn't believe what I spent altogether! Even with only DH and me, I can't keep my weekly costs where I'd like to!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my family is not crazy about leftovers, so we are recycling them left over chicken becomes chicken salad for lunch or shredded and put into a salad for a lunch wrap. Leftover spaghetti becomes a fritta ( probably not spelled right you know with scrambled eggs)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sure a lot of these have already been mentioned, but these are some of the things we're finding really helpful:

-Start a price book. It's a little daunting to get one started, but we just repurposed a small notebook and we're writing down the things we buy most frequently. It's really true that until you keep up with these things, it's hard to know when something is a bargain--even when looking at the sale pages! It helps to compare actual cost per ounce/lb with the current sales to see if you're REALLY getting the bargain you think you are.

-PLAN your meals! I thought, at first, I was doing great to plan out just our dinners every week and would assume we'd have leftovers for lunch. Now, I actually sit down and plan EVERY meal for the day, including sides. I've also written out a list of everything I need to do for the day so that I don't think we're having beans/rice for dinner that night, only to find that I haven't soaked or cooked the beans.

-Plan meals during the week that can use similar ingredients. We love chilis, stews and soups b/c they're a great excuse to toss in the odds and ends of veggies that we may not have another home for.

-Make sure to includes at least one or two side dishes with every entree. You spend the bulk of your money on creating entrees and if you don't include sides, then you're inviting a second or third helping of the most expensive item on your plate! Instead, balance out meals with salads, toast, sandwiches, fresh fruit, etc and limit second helpings!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

All my meats are sales or markdowns, stockpiled in the freezer. We eat a lot of pasta (we're Italian) and simple meals. I make my own pizza dough and top it with broccoli or tomato sauce or spicy sausage links, all bought on sale. I have frozen mini raviolis bought on sale in the freezer.

On hot days, we're content with a dish of dressed greens and a chunk of cheese and Italian bread. Or, an orange salad and the Italian bread, again . Or a few ears of corn, on special, with a snack later on.

In the winter, it's homemade lentil soup, beef stew or the meat from the stockpile.

Hot dogs in natural casings are a year round dinner, served on rolls with Boston baked beans and a salad. I sometimes use the hot dogs to make "Westerns" and serve it with buttered toast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Is it just me or are thr prices getting worse?

This week I don't see much on the sales at all. Yikes.

Plus with lower limits I have to make more trips. Argh!

Planning meals is such a big help. We are also having keeping some meals simple (soccer nights, etc...) For example, tonight we are having grilled chicken quesadilla's and fruit salad. I find one of my biggest struggles is the nights we have sports or extra activities

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hear you. I have to feed a fairly large crew. It's never been easy.

I can't seem to cut the food costs, but with coupons I can cut the HBA, (to nearly free), this helps me alot.

August we've spent just over $350 for 6 of us(3 teens, 2 adults and 1 child), and the daycare children. This includes some stock up items. Since I haven't needed to buy any detergent, toiletries, dishwasher detergent, etc. If I had to add that in it would be much much higher, but I have those items stockpiled.

I have gleaned from fellow freecyclers and received red currant, nanking cherries, evans cherries. I have an apple tree and rhubarb. With these, it creates jams, jellies and fruit for smoothies and desserts through winter. I have been getting seasonal fruit and either freezing or canning it. I'm hoping to do a few jars of peaches as dd14 loves them.

I'm trying to convince dh that meatless 2x a week is fine, but he grumbles and gets really cranky about it. Unless it's lasagna, he doesn't eat pasta, doesn't like rice unless it's fried rice, no beans or lentils. So, it's interesting. Thankfully, he does eat potatoes in any form, and i can get 50lbs for $6. So we go 2 or 3 times a year to get those.

Turn left overs into lunch or 2nd meal. Last nights meatloaf will be cooked up with diced potatoes, onions and carrots for lunch today, with a little olive oil and some salt and pepper.

I started a leftover container in the freezer, the couple tbsp of veggies get tossed in there, for a soup when there is a cup or cup and a half. I separate the cauliflower and broccoli as these are great in a rice casserole with mushroom soup and a little cheese.

Steak is a very rare treat, where it was once 1 or 2 times a week, it's now 1 or 2 times per summer. Ground beef is the meat I get most, as it is most affordable.

Left over rice, is permitted as a breakfast here, dd12 likes to add a tsp of sugar and butter, with cinnamon, then has a fruit with it. Dd14 isn't a breakfast food eater, but will cut up and cook a potato with onions and have a side of fruit. DS likes oatmeal, so I get instant oats, and cook up apples with a little brown sugar and cinnamon for the week, quick nutritious breakfast. I like a variety.

I bake our bread, I refuse to pay $4/loaf, when $10 for flour and $3 in yeast will bake enough bread for 2 months for us.

I'm going back to basics. Like my grandma. Very basic ingredients and simple meals. Ironically, the family likes it, less fuss.

Left over meat with veggies a little water or broth in a pressure cooker makes a great supper from leftovers.

Check out cookbooks from the library that were originally written in the 30's to 50's. There is also some youtube videos on frugal cooking. Remember frugal ingredients is relative, which is why I recommend the library and youtube.

Check out what is cheap in your area, and use that. In the US chicken seems to be super cheap. Not in Canada. Ground chicken is like $8-12/lb here, chicken breasts are $8-10/lb. Chicken legs we can get frozen backs attached on occasion for $1/lb, but not often. (why I recommend library). So many books are pricey.

I am buying basic ingredients more than made things. I have a family favorite recipe that uses apricot jam. At $5/jar, it is expensive. Apricots were on sale, for the $8 in apricots and maybe $2 in sugar and $2.50 for pectin, we have a year supply of homemade jam. (dish served 1x per month) savings of $47.50.

I don't know how long I can keep the budget this low, but we have to do what we have to do.

Eventually, if it means, only one sport a year, instead of 2 for the kids, so be it. Food and shelter comes first. Or if we end up with only one vehicle, whatever, we'll do what it takes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We buy a 1/2 of pig and 1/2 of cow each year. It is much cheaper in the long run. I know who and how the animals were raised. I don't have to worry about recalls for bad meat.

I meal plan and stock up when things are on sale. Now that the girls are in college it is just dh and myself. My food bill has go some what cheaper.

I am waiting for them to open up a Bottom Dollar Food store near us. They have name brand items and take coupons. I like them better then Aldi's.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I stopped Main stream grocery shopping for over a year now. Yes I am serious...lol

You all are doing great, and trying your best . Keep on keeping on and blessings will flow. I know it is tough and each family has certain dietary needs, or things that work best for their family. I know my way won't always work for others but works for me. I don't do it this way for saving money as much as I have to for allergy and health reasons. But has blessed our health and pocketbook. I buy in bulk, in season, and cook from scratch. I rotate what I buy meaning one month might be wheat and bulk honey, next something else. I roast my own organic coffee beans and save half price there. I bake all our breads, artisan breads, pastries, desserts etc.

For those who know me ....I still stick to my budget of 500.00 per month for a family of 4 or more. In the summer I get tons and I mean tons of produce so I tend to maybe go over that amount. But I can , dehydrate, and freeze. I just did 45 quarts of salsa, 12 gallons of sauce ( need to do about 30 plus more), 40 quarts of green beans, tons of fruit, pie fillings etc. these are in the freezer now.

We eat whole grain, grass fed meat, fruits and veggies, nuts. We do eat lots of vegetarian meals in the summer and raw for health but try to get organic whenever possible if we don't grow it or local. I get my milk , eggs and cream from a farm, more expensive but I can save in other areas so I can splurge in others. We use organic olive oil in our food and soaps. Lots of work but works well for my family. I only put some of what we eat as many think with a low budget it is not healthy. But like I said mostly organic, whole grains etc.

Haven't set foot in a mainstream grocery store in a year.....

Welcome oheoh's momma by the way. I have been off for awhile and catching up.
    Last edited by HappyMama; 08-31-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: ETA: Welcome

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now with my #3 son in college don't have to go thru milk & cereal that much! Only feeding 3 ppl here so it's easier on me.
    Going to farmers markets for seasonal food it's cheaper than the store. I got corn & zuccini today! Wastch for sales and using coupons whenever I can helps. Dh loves taking leftovers for his lunch at work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by HappyMama View Post
    I stopped Main stream grocery shopping for over a year now. Yes I am serious...lol

You all are doing great, and trying your best . Keep on keeping on and blessings will flow. I know it is tough and each family has certain dietary needs, or things that work best for their family. I know my way won't always work for others but works for me. I don't do it this way for saving money as much as I have to for allergy and health reasons. But has blessed our health and pocketbook. I buy in bulk, in season, and cook from scratch. I rotate what I buy meaning one month might be wheat and bulk honey, next something else. I roast my own organic coffee beans and save half price there. I bake all our breads, artisan breads, pastries, desserts etc.

For those who know me ....I still stick to my budget of 500.00 per month for a family of 4 or more. In the summer I get tons and I mean tons of produce so I tend to maybe go over that amount. But I can , dehydrate, and freeze. I just did 45 quarts of salsa, 12 gallons of sauce ( need to do about 30 plus more), 40 quarts of green beans, tons of fruit, pie fillings etc. these are in the freezer now.

We eat whole grain, grass fed meat, fruits and veggies, nuts. We do eat lots of vegetarian meals in the summer and raw for health but try to get organic whenever possible if we don't grow it or local. I get my milk , eggs and cream from a farm, more expensive but I can save in other areas so I can splurge in others. We use organic olive oil in our food and soaps. Lots of work but works well for my family. I only put some of what we eat as many think with a low budget it is not healthy. But like I said mostly organic, whole grains etc.

Haven't set foot in a mainstream grocery store in a year.....

Welcome oheoh's momma by the way. I have been off for awhile and catching up.
    I thought I should clarify, this amount also has me have a fully stocked functional pantry etc.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast