How are u managing with the rising cost of food - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just strolling thru old posts and thought this was a good one to share...It reminded me that I need to get my price book going again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, I am getting prepared for 2018 and less income. Happy to see Safeway frozen turkeys 49 cents/lb. I don't have much freezer space but plan to get one and cook it right away, then freeze the cooked meat for later. Garden has lettuce and a few root crops (but not much). Looking for stock-up sales at Thanksgiving to stockpile. I am going to measure/store some dry goods mixes to simplify cooking at home (baking mixes, soup ingredients, etc.) Hoping to score some throw-away pumpkins. I was lucky and got 2 last year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Trying to get back to every two weeks for grocery shopping but having much luck. I always seem to run out of more than a couple things that hubs thinks is a have to. Doesn't do any good to get twice as much when I go cause it'd still be gone. Not going to argue that goat rodeo. I used to do this and cut my grocery spending by at least 1/3. Only milk etc in between.

I used to up until about a year ago be able to spend about $50 a week give or take. Then it was $60. Now it's right at $100 or $110. Some of that.. not all... is due to the hurricane from a couple months ago and losing all our fridge food and replacing it. Always something else I'm used to having on hand then now not having.

Trying to be better about wasted produce. I'm somewhat better but it still happens. I think I'm done buying salad in a bag as it just goes to waste. So unless it's going to be used that day I'm done buying.

Lot of my stockpile things have been used up in the last few months. Trying to watch for sales and replace those items. Coffee, creamer, Splenda are big ones. They seem to "disappear".

I use coupons where I can but haven't done much with them this year like I always do. Large part of that is trying to stay out of the stores and not looking much at sale papers to keep from being tempted.

95% of the meat I buy is chicken and ground beef although this year I've learned how to make BBQ pulled pork ( think Sonnys BBQ ) and I've been buying more pork. I make enough to go thru several days of sandwiches, wraps and just on a plate with sides. Freezes well also.

As far as taxables/HBA those I usually use coupons on and/or BOGO or $5 off $25 at Dollar General on Saturdays. I've done well with the $General thing especially with Folgers, Coffeemate, Lucy dog food, paper towels and toilet paper.

Gas wise... I try to do my errands that's possible during the day at lunchtime at work or while I'm already out doing errands FOR work. Post office and Publix grocery are 5 minutes from work. Saves gas. Gas here right now is right at $2.39 so it has dropped some from the last increase but doubt it goes lower. It was nice about 3 months ago when it was $2.19 or even a little lower. I'm off Sat at noon until Tues morning. Once I get off on Sat if I don't have to stop at Publix or $General I come straight home and try not to leave until Tues back to work or no more than one day out doing stuff I can't do otherwise. Pick up Vet meds for Sophie, Walfart etc. I hate leaving once I get home.

I try to keep the electric down always but especially since it's went up 3 times this year and I hate to see what they'll do this coming year. I try on the water also but I will admit we have cheap water. Water is normally with our usage about $25 a month. This month it was $28. For us that's high.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Found my $5 off $25 CVS coupon from getting the flu shot there (insurance paid). They're having a sale this week, spend $30 on certain items, get $10 CVS Cash. So I'll do that deal. They are good about combining product coupons with an overall coupon like that one.

Also I recall Target had free shipping after Thanksgiving and their staple food prices are good so may be worth while to order some groceries w/ free delivery.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since we don't have a Dollar Tree here i have never bought much there last month went in one down where i us't live got some good buys on fruit cocktail and canned peaches some more things would got more but was afraid it would be more juice then fruit was surprised when i opened a can i think it had more fruit less juice then the cans i get at other stores.I have been staying away from grocery store as much as i can but pantry is getting low on some things and freezer is getting low i have a large up right freezer and when it get so low that i know what all i have it is low.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did a Target food shopping order this evening. Shipping was free at $25. I thought the prices were good (mostly Target brands), making the food budget stretch a little farther.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went back to Dollar Tree & Box 10 grocery store today all together spent $61.97 Some things will be going in stock pile done see i will be going over budget this month but trying build stock pile up before weather get to bad.I thought i was getting 12 cans peaches 12 can fruit cocktail got home had 23 cans peaches 1 can fruit cocktail but i use lot peaches making peach cobblers so i was glad it was that way instead of 23 fruit cocktail.Got more can tomatoes and tomatoes juice something else i use a lot of.I liked the Box 10 grocery store they had some good deals just wish it was closer and you have to sack your own groceries do plan on going back.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345