help me use up pantry items
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default help me use up pantry items

Looking for some fresh ideas for old pantry items. Want to use this up before I have to throw it out.

whole wheat flour -- never been able to make bread from this stuff and DH wouldn't eat it anyway. What else can I do with it?

corn chips -- we've eaten all the salsa and have half a bag left

peanuts -- got these for DH to snack on and he says he doesn't like eating them plain. So I need something to put them in.

masoor dal -- these are like lentils, and we don't like lentil soup

canned pumpkin -- not a pie fan. Bought this to make cookies, but with DH's diabetes I don't bake much any more.

What would you make?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

whole wheat flour -- never been able to make bread from this stuff and DH wouldn't eat it anyway. What else can I do with it?

peanuts -- got these for DH to snack on and he says he doesn't like eating them plain. So I need something to put them in.

I make whole wheat pancakes and waffles. I also use whole wheat in cornbread batter.

Chips use Queso Cheese Dip.

Peanuts try Chex Mix or Trail Mix.

A2M

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here are two ideas:

Canned pumpkin I would add to oatmeal to make pumpkin pie oatmeal, mac and cheese or cream of veggie soup, with carrots and other root veggies.

I would use ww flour in pancakes/waffles/breakfast cookies or muffins. You could even google recipes for low-sugar/ sugar-free recipes

Hth!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could use the pumpkin in bread. I have made Amy D' s recipe from her first book using splenda.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used up some steel cut oats by substituting it for a quarter cup of flour in recipes. I bet you could do that with the whole wheat flour. Swapping out some of the regular flour for the whole wheat shouldn't change the taste or the texture if it is just a little bit.

Crush them and toss them in the freezer. When you make taco soup, sprinkle them over the top. Or, use as the topping for a casserole. Cover them with cheese and zap in the microwave for a few seconds for nachos. Get out a can of refried beans and use that as dip (really good mixed with some cheese and a bit of spices added in).

What about making a stir fry and adding in the peanuts? What about peanut butter cookies (using fake sugar) and add in some of the peanuts?

masoor dal -- these are like lentils, and we don't like lentil soup
    Could this be served over rice? Maybe with some of the peanuts? What about blending it up and using it as a dip for pita bread?

canned pumpkin -- not a pie fan. Bought this to make cookies, but with DH's diabetes I don't bake much any more.
    Pumpkin soup? If you have animals, pumpkin is supposed to be good for them. You can mix it in with their wet food or just plunk down a chunk in the food dish. We have a cat that eats pumpkin. You could add it to a smoothie. A friend opens up a can, puts it into ice cube trays, and freezes it. She tosses a few in when she makes smoothies. You aren't supposed to be able to taste it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would put the chips in chili, and make a pumpkin soup with the pumpkin. Or maybe a sauce with the pumpkin to go over pasta? I love the taste of butternut squash ravioli, and I bet that would taste just as good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can use the WW flour in items that are not supposed to be "white", like chocolate cookies or date nut bread. Or whatever healthy alternatives you come up with.

Peanuts - grind into peanut butter.

Pumpkin - go to the brand name website (Libby?) - they have a ton of recipes. Or donate to food shelf.