HELP! Next 8 days to feed family with only $60 to do it
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default HELP! Next 8 days to feed family with only $60 to do it

Hi there,

I am trying so very hard to stay to my promise to not add anymore debt. So as it stands, I have $60 to my name which needs to feed myself and 2 girls (6 and 11) plus cat for the next 8 days. I'm not a meal planner, I'm not a cook, I get super stressed in grocery stores. My strengths are: determination and following instructions. So, please help! I m looking for a grocery list and meal ideas for my little family.

~I don't have a stockpile (yet)
    ~I do have a market basket 20 minutes away
    ~No allergies
    ~Meat optional

Please help. If I can feed my family with the money left it will be a HUGE boost in my self esteem. I'll just be over the moon. I'm very much trying to turn the financial situation around for me and my little ones.

Grocery list suggestions? Meal ideas?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So what do you have in the cupboards?

Grilled cheese and soup?
    Pancakes for dinner? (personal favorite of mine)
    pasta and sauce?
    tacos made with refried beans instead of meat?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eggs and Toast
    Baked Beans or Beans and Rice

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pancakes, vegetarian chili, any dish made with dried beans, beans and rice, meatless spaghetti, oatmeal, quiche, many kinds of homemade soups, french toast, fried rice, tuna hot dish, hash brown casserole

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ramen Noodles and cheap cat-food. (the latter for the cat).

Speaking of the cat, if you run low enough on food...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do have spaghetti noodles and sauce! Pancake mix.... peanut butter.....and two peaches. frozen peas...broccoli and a few Annie's mac and cheese boxes...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could add the peas to a box of the macaroni and cheese along with a can of tuna.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would do pasta a couple of nights. One night spaghetti and sauce later in the week I would do a different shape pasta ( my kids like the bowtie or penne). I boil the pasta and mix in butter and a small can of mushrooms and a can of peas. Totally different taste then pasta and sauce but cheap. I would get 2 lbs of ground beef. One pound would be tacos ( we just like them with cheese and tomato) and the simplest corn cake recipe. A box of jiffy cornbread mix (prepared but not baked) a can of creamy corn and 2 tbls of butter. Bake according to corn bread box directions. SOOOO good with any Mexican food. Its more like a soft spoon bread then a cornbread. The other pound would be Shepards pie. Ground beef, can of carrots, whatever other can of veggie you like or have. I would make mashed potatoes( real or from a box) on top and bake until heated through. There are always left overs here of that. Eggs. You can't go wrong if you like them. Eggs and toast. Pancakes. Breakfast would be oatmeal with cinnamon sprinkled on it . Toast with butter or peanut butter (yum). Egg salad sandwiches are good to with those peaches sliced up on the side. Ramen noodles of course. Dirt cheap and lots of flavors. We prefer them drained and then mix in the packet of seasoning and a pat of butter. I will keep thinking about it and post if I think of something else cheap.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Basic easy tomato soup for 4: 2 cans chicken broth, I can puree tomatoes, 1 cup half-n-half. Serve with grilled cheese.

Cook up a big batch of chili, use 1lb of cheap ground beef or turkey, or protein crumbles. Add canned beans, canned tomatoes, lots of fresh chopped onions and peppers. You can even put in canned pumpkin to thicken it and no one will know.

Country pork ribs are cheap and easy. 1 lb should be more than enough for the 3 of you. Put the meat in a casserole with 1/2" of water and pour some bbq sauce on top. Cover and bake at 350 for 2-3 hours, until the meat falls off the bone and pulls apart easily. Serve on buns or over rice.

Summer vegetables are approaching their cheapest prices. Look for corn on the cob, zuchinni and yellow squash, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes. You can make salads from just tomato and cucumber, or put the vegetables on lettuce. Add a little bit of chopped deli ham and a hard boiled egg to make a supper salad. Also fruit like peaches, plums, and nectarines are super cheap right now. Have these as healthy snacks.

Go to the store when you are not feeling stressed or rushed. Week days and most evenings after supper seem to be the least busy times.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Petco free can of Friskies: https://secure.petco.com/petco_Page_...oupon0613.aspx

ProPlan coupons: Great Offers from Purina® Pro Plan®

cat litter free after rebate: World's Best Cat Litter Promotions - Free Bag Rebate (I have done this)

Honest Kitchen free sample https://www.facebook.com/TheHonestKitchen
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would get the kids some bananas and apples. good for them! lots of water to drink. all kids LOVE buttered noodles. buttered noodles and an apple for dinner especially the 6 yr old - that would be happiness to them!

macncheese - is it the type you need milk and butter for? or cheese sauce included?

bread and butter to make toast for brkfst and split a banana between the 2 kids.

pancakes and peaches sounds good to me!

hope you make it. sounds like you will. good luck

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sometimes I take the mac n cheese (we like Annies also....but i also like Hannaford store brand - there seems to be more in their box) and mix in frozen broccoli that i have steamed. you could also fry up a little hamburg or a couple of hot dogs to mix in with it. it is very filling.
    MB has 3# of apple bags for around 3 bucks. you could take one apple with each meal and slice it up to eat with the meals.
    Egg drop soup is easy to make and doesn't ocst a lot.

cut up a few scallions and put in a pan with 1T veg oil (if you have ginger, grate some of that in the pan also). you can add leftover meat, mushrooms, tofu, etc as well. let that saute for a few minutes. add 8 cups water and 2T soup broth (I use better than boullion, but you can use 3 or 4 boullion cubes) bring to a boil adn boil for 5 minutes. take 2 eggs (or 3) and beat them a little with 1T cold water. Turn the heat off on the soup, let it finish boiling and then stir it to create a vortex, while it's spinning, slowly add the eggs and do not stir. let the motion of the soup cook the eggs. wait a minute more, then enjoy!
    Last edited by quiltingmommy; 08-06-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: addting a word

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Crap, I forgot....when you add the boullion, also add 2T soy sauce (chinese food soy sauce packets are 1T in case you have any on hand) and then take 1T of corn starch with 2T water and mix that together, when the soup is boiling, add the corn starch - it will thicken the soup slightly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let the kids feel like this week is a treat. For instance, if you have ice cream, go ahead and let them eat ice cream sundaes for dinner. DO make a fend for yourself night, too. This is the time when we just clean out the refrigerator and eat up whatever we want. I'm also a huge fan of soup.

BTW, $60 for 8 days is $7.50 a day. For 3 people that is $2.50 per person per day or 83 cents per meal. That IS a little tight but like you pointed out, you already have some food at home so the $60 should easily stretch.

I recommend not blowing the whole $60 in one trip. Reserve $20 or so for items you might run out of. You are going to surprise yourself how well you do.
    Last edited by CookieLee; 08-06-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you have a dollar general Cat food In a green bad $1.85
    or dollar tree get 2 $1 bags

dollar tree is ur friend

hot dogs
    fries
    pop tarts
    cereal
    chicken nuggets
    frozen fruit, veggies
    pasta, rice
    tuna
    frozen French toast stix
    tv dinners
    soups..then u just need a few meats..get a whole chicken roast one night, shred and put in a packet or two alfredo pasta sides
    chicken thighs baked
    beef tips - crock pot with onion gravy mix, pour over rice
    banquent tv meals for kids
    get 1/2 lb ham, bologna
    jelly - sandwhiches

good luck

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast