please share Meal Planning resources for fresh ingredient meals
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default please share Meal Planning resources for fresh ingredient meals

Hi All, are there any books, or sites you guys can recommend for meal planning with fresh ingredients?
    We live on a farm, and have a garden, and looking for recipes that incorporate more fresh ingredients, or home canned goods.
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No specific site comes to mind.

Two thoughts.

Make a simple chart with the number of containers for each home canned vegetable and adjust the totals as you use them so that you don't get to the end of the winter with 50 quarts of beets and no tomatoes, etc...

Do a quick search on the individual vegetables that you have to see recipes specifically for squash, corn, tomatoes, etc...

Good luck and welcome to FV!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

maybe this will help alittle,

The Country Cook - Recipes for the busy cook!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Are you looking for advice on planning, or for recipes?

For planning out meals, you start with an inventory of what you have and a calendar. For example, in June I buy 12 bags of sweet potato fries, and each bag makes 2 meals, so I know that over the course of the year I can put it on the calendar twice a month as a side dish. Maybe you have 18 jars of canned tomatoes, so you would space those out about every 2.5 weeks to use them all up before next summer.

Being on a farm maybe you process an animal (or buy one from a neighbor) and have a hundred pounds of meat in the freezer. Just make a list of what you have and spread it out on the calendar so you don't find yourself short of bacon in 6 weeks and eating nothing but pork chops every other day come February.

I don't plan too far in advance when it comes to fresh vegetables because you just don't know what will come in at the supermarket or in the garden. The rabbits might get that swiss chard, or a frost might kill the last tomatoes early, and that killer deal on asparagus might turn out to be woody baseball bat stalks. So I only have fresh vegs on the calendar a week or 10 days in advance.

As for recipes using fresh produce, they are everywhere. Most sites have good recipes. Some that I like:

wholefoods.com
    redgoldtomatoes.com
    cookinglight.com
    barilla.com
    diabeticlivingonline.com

All of them offer recipes using fresh ingredients. Barilla and Red Gold manufacture tomato products, but you can easily substitute your home canned sauces.

If you have specific questions about how to use something, like squash or kale or canned beets, feel free to ask. Someone will have ideas for you.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love fresh vegs from the gardens but not enough time to can the extras. but planning on canning small batches next year with more fruit for the freezer (homemade wines in winter).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is a cheap meal plan that is pretty good. It plans out 5 meals a day, 7 days a week for 4 weeks and have grocery lists included: https://shoedaman.com/product/exampl...ner-meal-plan/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug