How to Eat on Just $3 a Day
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default How to Eat on Just $3 a Day

Too many carbs for my lifestyle, not enough protein, but I guess it works in a pinch. And she shopped at Whole Foods before going on a budget!

How to eat on just $3 a day
    Last edited by Contrary Housewife; 02-27-2017 at 05:39 PM.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Three dollars a day seems doable the way I buy food, but maybe not if I had to shop every week with $21.00.
    I think I would start out with some chicken, definitely eggs. Would buy veggies instead of cereal,milk and pasta.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah, $21/week is pretty limiting, more so than $42/2 weeks, etc. but when you live paycheck to paycheck you have to work with what you got. When I was her age I had $20 a week to spend on food, and it really didn't go much farther back then. I bought bread, eggs, flour, sugar and milk. I ate more pork, still much cheaper than chicken today, and a lot of rice. I carried apples with me, much sturdier than bananas. And I cooked. She mentions that sauces are expensive... well not so much if you make them from scratch.

Not sure what I would do with $21 today. Maybe beans, rice, and vegetables. Flour for making biscuits, pancakes, and muffins.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I was in college, I was working two jobs as well. I would make big batches of chili & vegetable soup & freeze in single serve containers. I alternated between the two. Can't really remember what else I ate...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Even in Denmark (one of the most expensive countries in the world), this is about what I spend on food, on average, per month. It helps that I'm a vegetarian. I buy dried beans and legumes in bulk from the middle eastern grocers for dirt cheap, I cook everything from scratch, I shop the special offers, and meal plan around whatever perishables I find marked down.

Tonight's dinner was supposed to be chili (from pantry stock) but when I went to the grocery store this morning I found nice rolls marked down to about $.75 for 6, so I came home and made veggie burgers instead (from almonds, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, oats, carrots, beans, etc. that I had on-hand). The veggie burgers and rolls will be enough for 3 days' dinner for the two of us along with a salad or oven fries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by The Muse View Post
    Even in Denmark (one of the most expensive countries in the world), this is about what I spend on food, on average, per month. It helps that I'm a vegetarian. I buy dried beans and legumes in bulk from the middle eastern grocers for dirt cheap, I cook everything from scratch, I shop the special offers, and meal plan around whatever perishables I find marked down.

Tonight's dinner was supposed to be chili (from pantry stock) but when I went to the grocery store this morning I found nice rolls marked down to about $.75 for 6, so I came home and made veggie burgers instead (from almonds, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, oats, carrots, beans, etc. that I had on-hand). The veggie burgers and rolls will be enough for 3 days' dinner for the two of us along with a salad or oven fries.
    Where do you shop? I live live close to your city.

I spend $110 a month on food some years ago and can do it again, if I need to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Couldn't watch the video ( at work ). Did she have anything in fridge/freezer/pantry to start with or was it starting from zero? That would make a huge difference. Also does the $21 include such as shampoo, detergent etc or just food?
    On the protein end.. don't forget peanut butter is the same protein as meat and counts as such. That's coming from a doctor. One big jar .. one time.. would last a long time and leave the protein budget for other things. I think I could do it if it were just me. I think. I'd rather not have to of course.
    To start off I'd do the peanut butter
    carton of oats
    bread
    potatoes
    bag of rice
    can of one veggie
    apples if able to get in the $21
    then take it from there. Other than bread those would last longer than a week. Then I could ( I think ) slowly build from there
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Tine View Post
    Where do you shop? I live live close to your city.

I spend $110 a month on food some years ago and can do it again, if I need to.
    For the part you bolded, I shop at Bazaar Vest. There's a bit of variation in prices between some of the different vendors, so I first make a note of the prices of the items I'm going to buy, then I go around buy each item from the vendor with the lowest price. For example, there's a 5kr. difference on 900g of red lentils from one vendor to another. I go about twice a year and stock up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    Couldn't watch the video ( at work ). Did she have anything in fridge/freezer/pantry to start with or was it starting from zero? That would make a huge difference. Also does the $21 include such as shampoo, detergent etc or just food?
    Sorry, there was an article attached to that video, a whole page of text with the story. I don't know what happened to it.

She says she starts from zero each week, but they showed a cupboard that had olive oil and a few other things including soy sauce, beef broth and sriracha, there was a beer on the counter while she was cooking pasta, and her fridge had chicken broth and a bunch of condiments like ketchup and mustard. So, not entirely zero, really.

She has another $20 for toiletries, and another $20 for other stuff.

There are more videos, but I can't play sound right now, so I don't know what's in them other than it's some sort of video blog. They are here, in reverse order, newest at the top. Cash Diet

And her final video:
    What happened when I started using a credit card after my cash diet

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Sorry, there was an article attached to that video, a whole page of text with the story. I don't know what happened to it.

She says she starts from zero each week, but they showed a cupboard that had olive oil and a few other things including soy sauce, beef broth and sriracha, there was a beer on the counter while she was cooking pasta, and her fridge had chicken broth and a bunch of condiments like ketchup and mustard. So, not entirely zero, really.

She has another $20 for toiletries, and another $20 for other stuff.

There are more videos, but I can't play sound right now, so I don't know what's in them other than it's some sort of video blog. They are here, in reverse order, newest at the top. Cash Diet

And her final video:
    What happened when I started using a credit card after my cash diet
    Ah... ok. I have sound at work but little to no sound at home. So she actually has $60 a week all told. I can't imagine spending $20 a week on taxables ( TP etc ). Wish I could have watched this one. If I only had $20 a week I sure wouldn't spend it on beer.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

She has a couple of videos up....I watched two and it was enough.....nothing impressive....I'm with NikoSan....how can she afford beer.....I don't think it was a true video......just my two cents worth....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In today's time, it is doable but the costs of stuff rising I say go to your local grocery closeout stores. I usually buy rice, beans and of course chicken and veggies for my marinade (sofrito) and that lasts more than a week. The meal itself, I always make a large batch so close to 3-4 days for lunch and dinners, eating proportionately.

I can see having maybe a salad with eggs or shoot just egg salad sandwiches, for a few days and pasta is another cheap meal. Even if you add in ground beef and make a large pot or crockpot it, you could have a few days worth of meals as well. So, yes $21 a week on food, in my opinion, is doable for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know about that, and I don't want to find out. We haven't had a grocery budget since 1977 and would rather not go back to one!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just remembered this cookbook called Good and Cheap - Eat well on $4/day.

https://cookbooks.leannebrown.com/good-and-cheap.pdf

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the book!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast