Keep a Freezer Inventory and Never Waste Food
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Keep a Freezer Inventory and Never Waste Food

Most people end up not realizing what's in their freezer and the food ruins with freezer burn. An easy way to know what you have on hand at all times is to keep an inventory of what you have.

I used a simple spiral notebook that I hung on the wall next to the freezer. In it, I wrote down how many packages I had of hamburger, chicken, etc. Every time I added or took away from the freezer, I adjusted the amount. Using a pencil makes this very eacy.

I also made my life easier by putting chicken and fish on one shelf, beef on another, and pork and venison on another. Some people use colored labels to show the difference in the meats.

It doesn't really matter how you do it, just as long as you keep a record of what goes in and what comes out. This will save you tons of money each year.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, I have found this very helpful, too. I also try to stack all similar food together, like all the chicken on one shelf.

Another thing, clear labeling with dates! I buy family packs and split them up into portions, repackage and label. I'm much more likely to grab a bag with 2 chicken breasts or pork chops and cook it, rather than deal with defrosting and separating 6-10 pieces.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I could do better with this.
    I have a turkey breast and a london broil in my freezer which I am pretty sure have been in there for almost a year and should probably be tossed. That's money right down the drain.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't purchase any meat however I know that there are items (vegetables+fruits) at the bottom of my freezer which have been there for a long time. I need to inventory it and then start keeping a record.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find in my chest freezer that food keeps a REALLY long time. I almost never get freezer burn in it unless the packaging gets ripped.

I am not good about inventories. Part of the challenge is the sheer volume of frozen food I have (huge chest freezer and huge upright freezer). But this is something I would like to get on top of better.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $22,887.41/$25,676.45 (Goal: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Amy-dont toss it beef last a year and turkey will prob. be ok too. If not do you still have a dog?

Like I said before I have a shelf for ea.meat and the cube gets the bigger meats. I do keep a loose notes system. I need to get in the freezer above the fridge. It gets ignored.