Is your grocery spending thrifty or liberal? This chart reveals the answer!
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Is your grocery spending thrifty or liberal? This chart reveals the answer!

"Think your grocery bill is out of control? Every month, the USDA releases four budgets — food plans — that represent a nutritious diet at four different cost levels."

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/clark-how...swer/708119552
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would say even thriftier than thrifty. I don't drink milk, juice, soda, or anything but water, coffee and tea. I don't eat most prepared foods and condiments last me forever. We have so much day-old bread at the food shelf that the excess goes to pigs and chickens, so I get my bread from there, along with produce. If I bought a bag of carrots, most of them would go bad. So I get one or two when I need them, same for a few pieces of fruit, a couple onions, a few potatoes. Then I give the food shelf a cash donation once a month. It also saves me from having to go shopping after my shift (opposite direction from home) or before my shift and trying to keep things cool in the car for 6 hours. Also I eat very little meat.

My splurges are coffee, I want the good stuff (Arabica) and ice cream. But I do try to get IC on sale.
    Make America Kind Again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don't have a food budget, but we spend on the thrifty side according to the chart. We eat well, too, lots of fresh foods and other goodies. We seldom eat out and I don't think eating out should be considered part of the grocery bill anyway. IMO that falls more into the entertainment category.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think it depends on why you're eating out. If you have dinner out because it's your anniversary, or you're meeting friends after a movie then yeah I can call that "entertainment". If you're buying a sandwich or a burger and a $7 cup of coffee every day on your lunch break because you're too lazy to make one at home the night before, then it would be misleading to say you only have a $35 grocery budget.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, that's true. I guess I don't think about that because we literally never do that for work lunches. We sometimes grab lunch somewhere if we're on a day trip, but even that is rare. Even when we are on vacation we don't eat out much, so we never add food costs to our vacation expenses.

I'll never forget a former friend begging on FB for people to give her money to pay for meds for her dog after a financial downturn they brought on themselves and cussing out their vet because he would no longer extend credit to them, and then in her next post talking about her expensive coffee she bought every day. It always amazes me when people cannot make the connections in those type of situations and figure out why they're in so much financial trouble.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, I see this all the time, including extended family. They buy what they want and beg for what they need. Drives. Me. Crazy!
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess we are below the Thrifty plan. I do spend a lot on fresh fruits and veggies and little on meat.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I spend right at the Thrifty plan for one person. That is eating very little meat.
    I do find it hard to believe that on the Thrifty plan a 14-18 year old male is allowed $37.90 and a 71+ male is allowed $36.70. I never had a teenaged boy who ate so little. Seems to me that they would eat about that much in a day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, teen boys are bottomless pits.

Nothing frugal today because I bought ten pounds of shrimp at $4/lb., which is about half the price it usually is here. Lent ends tomorrow so prices will go back up, and there was no limit on the shrimp so I grabbed a bunch before it sells out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think we are on the thrifty plan....I buy all my meat from Zaycon Fresh and fresh fruits and veggies from Aldi's....we don't eat chips and snacks....we don't drink soda....I do buy the knock off brand of Oreo's for hubby....except this week I got five packages of "real" Oreo's at Krogers for $1.49 a package...I will ration those out.......got 20 large bakery muffins for $10....this will last hubby for 5 months....froze them....he eats a muffin with coffee on the weekends......and I did buy a six pack of my favorite beer this week......that happens maybe once every three or four months....I enjoy having a cold one when it's so darn hot outside....hubby doesn't drink at all so I don't have to worry about him drinking it....LOL I sure wish I had $700 a month to spend on food.....I enjoy grocery shopping....usually....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My family is well below the thrifty plan. We eat out once or twice a month, so even putting that in there we are below the thrifty amount. We're fortunate because our grocery stores are well stocked with quality cheap produce and meats.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are below or at the thrifty plan. I will admit if I let things go to long before replenishing then I can topple over the fence.
    I've started finding marked down meat again so that helps.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are the low-cost plan - on average. Fruits and veggies are the expensive part of my budget and when DH goes to the store on his own he automatically goes to Winn Dixie instead of one of the cheaper stores.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess I am thrifty/low cost. I don't eat out much at all and I don't eat much at all and I eat little to no meat. I eat pretty well !

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Even with gardening I'm in the Low cost category. I splurge a lot on sale meat. I buy the fruits and veggies I can from save-a-lot but when I can't I buy from Winn Dixie and they aren't cheap.