Here's what you get when you spend $32 on groceries at Acme, Aldi, Trader Joe's and W
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Here's what you get when you spend $32 on groceries at Acme, Aldi, Trader Joe's and W

Interesting comparisons. I wish she had also shared the recipes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/21/what...ole-foods.html

I think if she had been more flexible with her menu she could have made WF or TJs work a little better. Also, being willing to shop more than one store to get the lowest priced items between the two could also bring costs down.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Interesting. 1 lb bags of frozen vegs do provide a lot of options as she notes on the Aldi trip. I also buy whole bags of onions (3 lb) and potatoes (5 lb) and they are often BOGO. I still really like Target for pantry items and free delivery on a $35 order, doing that about once a month now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would love to see what recipes she used. I am trying to dial our grocery budget back and stop spending like I have a printing press in my spare room.

D

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Very interesting thanks for sharing. I need to use Aldi's more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

She touched on something that some people I know found out: if you can't buy in bulk, you're going to spend a lot more. These people had a lot of debt, so they sold almost everything they had and moved into an RV. A lot of bills went down, but their food costs went up. When there's no room to store items bought on sale, you're stuck paying with whatever they cost when you need them. I save a vast amount of money buying items in bulk on sale, and then either freezing or canning them. People who don't have much money to begin with also have a difficult time getting to where they can buy on sale and wait out the higher prices.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes having some stock up money in the budget is good to take advantage of sales. and being flexible in your recipes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Flexibility is key. Like my grandma used to say, if you don't got what you want, then want what you got. I love honeycrisp apples, but I don't buy them when they're out of season and cost $5/lb. I buy some other kind of apple, or other fruit.