Any frugal Pittsburghers?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Any frugal Pittsburghers?

Am I all alone here? Bot the cost of energy is going up and I'm not looking forward to this winter. Looking to share ideas on keeping warm without buying oil.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi there, I know there are others from that area but some people drift in and out of the Village. Greebo and I visit his folks in that area now and then so we are familiar with the weather.

As for keeping warm, I prefer layers and blankets and putting a flannel sheet between me and the mattress also helps a lot. We have our thermostat on a timer so it can warm up the house before we wake up and let it cool down during the day when we are away. It has saved us energy.

There are older posts about insulating and winter preparations that include putting foam cut outs behind the outlet plates, covering windows with bubble wrap, plastic, or even quilts.

I try to get some scatter rugs down on the hard floors to help keep me warmer in the morning until I get my coffee and get my act together. Some how just having more fabric around tends to make me warmer. I'll be putting out more candles this year to help warm the room without turning up the heat. It helps keep the warmth as well and adds some lovely coziness.

There will be more ideas coming in...

Welcome

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi and welcome! Do you have a fireplace? We burn wood, newspaper logs and twigs and branches in ours. We make firestarters out of pine cones and paraffin. We also use Vornado space heaters and our gas furnace. You can buy inexpensive well made and pretty crocheted afghans on Ebay. I've heard of some people buying sleeping bags that can handle minus degree weather and also sleeping with knit caps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish I had a fireplace.

I managed top get through the worst of the cold lat winter with only 100 gallons of oil. I roughed it from there on. Just two space heaters for the whole house. Not too bad. First winter I ddi this was hardest. I have got this about down but always looking for more ideas.

I actually cover unused outlets with plastic as well as windows. I do double layers of plastic on the draftier windows. Have used heavy blankets tacked over them as well. I have an unending fee supply of cardboard and have considered covering windows with that too but I like light to get in.

I sleep in Long Johns. They are very warm. I also use an electric blanket. Boy that was the single best buy I ever made.

I have my electric on the budget plan so it evens it out all year round and I have only a $60/month electric bill. Also using energy efficient bulbs.

Soon the car will be paid off and this will make things a bit easier.