Indiana, Ohio & Michigan
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Indiana, Ohio & Michigan

I live in the NE corner of Indiana, with Michigan one county north and Ohio 10 miles to the east. From what I've seen so far, the 'neighborhoods' section of FV seems kind of under-utilized.

I guess what I'm getting at is this: would this section be useful for posting localized deals? Would someone in Branch County, MI be willing to travel 30 miles for fresh u-pick blueberries for $1/lb., for example?

There are also going to be a lot of small mom-and-pop going out of business sales in the near future, and I thought I'd post them here if anyone were interested.

What do you think?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Milly I live in northeastern IN also so I'd be willing to see what businesses have sales so post away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in Muncie. I was looking at salvage grocery stores online the other day. It seems that the ones in Indiana are all up north, like Goshen and Elkhart. Warsaw was the closest to me. But, it would have to be pretty darn good to get me to drive two hours each way!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since we seem to be a small group, how about I just PM both of you with any good stuff?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi, I spend my time between Iraq, and a smallish town an hour or so north of Indy. As far as bargans go, we shop at Aldis, GFS, and Kroger. We have on occasion purchased thru Angel Food Ministries, but a lot of the products I just do not care for.

Hope you all are staying warm.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have looked into Angel Food Ministries, but have been afraid of the things we won't like. I like Aldi for most of my shopping. I think it beats coupons at stores like Marsh, Wal-Mart and Meijer. Unless they double up to a dollar. Most of our stores here don't double or only double up to 50 cents. Speaking of cold, we didn't have school on Friday because of the cold. Kind of weird.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in Noblesville and fairly new here. I'm trying to simplify, de-clutter, sell stuff on ebay, and be frugal. We live on one income and dh's work is slow right now, ugh!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi gals! I live in Wabash. (About half way between Ft Wayne & Kokomo.) We have a gas station north of Wabash in Urbana, that has a large room full of dented, dinged or cruched boxed grocery items. Really cheap too! It has really been a blessing for us when we were first unemployed and had very little money. We have gotten a lot of great prices there. Some of the boxes are a bit crushed and cans are dinged up, but you can still find un-dented cans as well. Mom always told me to not buy cans that were dented or dinged, so I am careful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

that sounds like a great place...i would definately be 'visiting' it often if i lived nearby....we have a little local grocery store that is 'known' for its great produce and the owner freaks out when everything is not 'perfect' so he always has a cart full of 'bad' produce at the back of the store and i try to stop in as often as possible and stock up on the stuff...usually nothing wrong with it but a slight blemish...but he is extremely picky (i know...i worked there for 3 yrs)...

same with the meats....they are always reducing stuff and if you get there at the right time...i don't do the red meat but if i did you can get excellent bargains...dh does pork so i buy alot of that reduced and put it in the freezer...i just bought tonight 4 packages of thick cut boneless pork chops 2-3 per pack for .75 to .90 cents a pack...

unfortunately he doesn't discount much else...well he discounts it but its still way too high.... the meat and produce are goldmines......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm originally from Indiana, Terre Haute, but I have lived the last 12 years in Ohio. I recently found an Amish store that is just blowing away the prices of the regular stores. I normally have to drive 35 miles to go to Giant Eagle or Walmart. This store is 10 minutes down the road. They sell the overstock, dented cans, smashed boxes, and expired sell by dated items but if it is something I use regularly the sell by date doesn't bother me. I go by the use by date. I have a thread I started a few weeks ago about this. I have been using less and less coupons since I found this store, less gas too. My fiance works with a woman who sells eggs for .75 cents a dozen so I get my eggs from her. Our open air Farmers Market start back up next month and I can't wait.

Cat
    Last edited by Sassyclass; 02-20-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Also from Ohio, here. NW end of it.

We spend half or more of the year in Upper peninsula MI, but Ohio is 'home'. MI is midwest, also, I guess, but we are really north when we are there.