Frugal Village Forums banner

Heat & Humidity

Tags
heat humidity
5K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  forHISglory 
#1 ·
How is everyone coping with the heat and humidity? I'm mostly staying inside the air conditioned house today although I did hang two loads of laundry on the clothes line.

Any one coping without air conditioning?

#4 ·
My DD#2 describes this weather as 'like being inside someone's mouth'.
Perfect description if you ask me.

#5 ·
Going outside as little as possible.. Minimal cool air (fans) in every room except living room.. Window a/c is in the living room..

#6 ·
I can remember the years before a/c. People used to go to the movies to keep cool. Restaurants were quick to add a/c so that was another choice. I think it was the 1960's before a/c came to many homes. We used fans and went outside in the shade. Trees are a great natural a/c. Or of an evening we'd drive around with the car windows down. I wonder how our grandmothers survived with their wood cookstoves and canning all summer.

#10 ·
OMG me too between the air conditioning and the pool filter its gonna be killer

Reactions: jlaporte
#8 ·
Honestly, its killing me!!! We have only lived in Michigan since October and I was NOT expecting a summer like this! lol. We are trying to be cheap and have not used the air conditioning ONCE yet this summer, we want to put the extra saved on our principle. My friend lives in Michigan and she didn't warn me about the heat when we said we were considering moving here!!!

On the plus size, my garden is doing AMAZING! I haven't had to buy anything at the stupermarket for two weeks!

#9 ·
We're sitting under the shade trees in the yard. We've got a wading pool for the little girls. (Or whoever) One of the church's had water games yesterday for the kids in town. We've been swimming and will go again. We have gifted to us window airs in the upstairs to make it tolerable for the kids. My oldest boys sleep in the basement where it is NICE. We could all go bother them :rollsmile: We have a couple nice oscillating fans in the living room. Lots of cool showers going on for dh and I since I don't fit very well in the wading pool. I do soak my feet though.:hat:

#11 ·
I have no A/C in my truck and it is extremely hot and humid here (Houston TX). I turn the A/C in the house to 81 degrees when I get up in the morning. I do my chores, water plants/yard, etc. early before the heat of the day builds up. I also run my errands early in the morning. The drapes and blinds are closed, a fan is blowing on me wherever I am in the house, and in the afternoon I move around as little as possible. I DEFINITELY don't go outside.

#12 ·
Awful!! It was 108 here yesterday with the humidity. We have no a/c. We live in Minnesota for a reason! I HATE hot weather. :thud:

Reactions: jlaporte
#13 ·
It wasn't until around the '90s that I had an apartment with ac. Until then I had lived in two third floor apartments. Growing up there was one lone ac in the parents room. How in the world I survived I am not sure. One apartment I think I had about 4 fans going at once. Also would fill the bathtub up with water and go sit in it when it was hot to cool off.

Right now I have the curtains closed except for the patio door which is in the shade right now. I have two fans running. Since the humidity is low today will probably turn the air on around 2-3:00. But keeping the thermal curtains up really does seem to keep the heat out and the air in. At night I turn the ac off and keep a fan running in the bedroom. So far so good. In August I think it will be a different story.

Stay safe and cool every one.

#14 ·
I just looked at the weather online, and as of right now it's 96 with a heat index of 115. And the humidity is predicted to rise with the temp through the afternoon. It's only 1:00. Just walking in from the parking lot, my eyeballs feel boiled and my hair is sweaty. It will be cooled off when I get off work at 11 pm for the drive home.

For today, I'm ok. I'm at work now, which is like being in an underground chiller. When I'm at home, I turn the A/C to around 78 during the day and keep a floor fan blowing on me. But I have to have it cool to sleep. I turn the A/C down to about 72 and sleep with a fan - under a light sheet. I can't do warm at night at all.

We are in the typical summer rain pattern. A chance of random thunderstorms every afternoon and early evening. It gives the grass a little water but really only makes it worse, since it just steams off and makes it more humid. This is truly a wretched summer.

#15 ·
I'm right there with ya, Debbie-Cat. Between this and the shut-down I'm working overtime at being cranky. The heat index here is only ninety today, so it could be worse. I keep thinking about being in Missouri at this time last year with heat index of about 120, overnight lows in the eighties, and humidity upwards of 100%, and still feel lucky.

Our central AC is on the fritz so no AC in the house, but I have the window air cranked up in my office right now! I'm too old to be in hot weather! And we live in Minnesota for a reason, too!

We're keeping a close eye on our pets to make sure they're not in distress.

#19 ·
We also have been having lots of heat and humidity,and all we had was fans.I find that I wake with a headache and body aches with a fan blowing at me all night.Can not get to sleep and keep waking up.
So,my husband having gall bladder attacks(waiting for surgery)it was getting pretty miserable around here so bought a window AC unit for the bedroom today.Looking forward to a good nights rest for a change.

#21 ·
Would you like me to send it via FedEx or UPS? LOL

Our heat and humidity is through the roof, but the worst part is the poison ivy rash I have on my legs and arms!! I have to stay cool to keep from itching more than usual.

#22 ·
I live in South Eastern Ontario and it has been brutal. I don't have AC and the average temp in my apartment has been 85 to 90. The humidity has been making it feel way to hot. I have 6 fans running almost all the time. You just sit and sweat. We have been swimming a few times. We were supposed to go get our eyes checked this week but with the humidity it is going to be way to hot to stand around and wait for the bus so I am going to reschedule.

#23 ·
We left the East Coast because the humidity was aggravating my asthma. The last 3 years have been ok out here in the West (Utah). This year, however, too much rain, living near a river (high water for months = musty, moldy smell), and the heat & humidity is killing me again.

Thank goodness for A/C.

#24 ·
We went to a 4 day outdoor rock festival. Whew was it miserable, especially the last day! Nothing like being out all day with a heat index of 115. You know it is bad when you are drinking water like crazy and never need to visit the restroom. I am way to old and out of shape but I lined right up with the young hotties to get soaked by the fire trucks at the concert.

They found one woman unresponsive at the festival campground and she died. Everyone is thinking it was the heat. So many people were drinking only booze with no water. Very sad :(
We have lots of Amish neighbors and I have no idea how they can take it.

#28 ·
Yep we sure were. It was so hot it was kind of miserable but I really wanted too see the bands plus all the money spent on four~ four day passes, camping wrist bands etc. We drank tons and tons of fluid

It was really very sad that that woman died. She was way to young :(

Booklover are you near the area? Just curious since you knew what I was talking about :)

#26 ·
It was 79º and 95% humidity at 7:30 a.m. when I left for work. Got up to 98º with heat index of around 112º. Heat is supposed to continue thru at least Thursday night. Thank you Lord for home central a/c, a/c in car, a/c at office.

My dh collapsed from the heat at work a number of years ago and can no longer tolerate heat which is why we replaced our central a/c after years without it. Even with a/c set at 77º (too cool to my way of thinking) dh is too warm and turns on fans. I think with outside temps in the upper 90º we should have the a/c set higher. Dh was complaining it was too warm in here so I told him to step outside and gain some perspective!!

I spent more years without a/c than with so I really feel for those coping without. Be careful and drink lots of water.

#27 ·
:hot:It is sooo hot. You go out and you can see the humidity in the air.
It is 87 but the heat index is between 101 and 105 tomorrow it will be will into the 90s with a heat index of up to 107. They have a heat warning, we have a/c because my husband has trouble breathing in this heat,and we live in a second story building.

we would go sit out by the creek where the Hare Krishnas Palace of Gold is but it is too hot. We have to drive a friends vehicle to Ohio to my Uncle's junk yard and scrap it because the frame is broke and will not pass West Virgnia inspection. will get around $400 cash.

#32 ·
We have another heat advisory in effect for today through Friday in my little part of Alabama...heat index ranging from 107 - 118...it's just nasty. :(
I honestly didn't realize the midwest suffered from the same kind of intense humidity we have here...all I can say is bless you guys...hope everyone stays cool...or as much as you can in this weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.