Heat & Humidity
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heat & Humidity

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Heat & Humidity

How is everyone coping with the heat and humidity? I'm mostly staying inside the air conditioned house today although I did hang two loads of laundry on the clothes line.

Any one coping without air conditioning?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

girlie!! It is hot as heck here in Alabama!! Humid too!! Thank goodness for air conditioning!! I seriously do not know how people lived before there was air conditioning!!
    Stay cool!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

With some of the heat indexes I saw.........it has got to be
    extremely dangerous to be without AC!

Do any of you check on elderly neighbors??

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My DD#2 describes this weather as 'like being inside someone's mouth'.
    Perfect description if you ask me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Going outside as little as possible.. Minimal cool air (fans) in every room except living room.. Window a/c is in the living room..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can remember the years before a/c. People used to go to the movies to keep cool. Restaurants were quick to add a/c so that was another choice. I think it was the 1960's before a/c came to many homes. We used fans and went outside in the shade. Trees are a great natural a/c. Or of an evening we'd drive around with the car windows down. I wonder how our grandmothers survived with their wood cookstoves and canning all summer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate it this dang hot. I dread my July electric bill.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Honestly, its killing me!!! We have only lived in Michigan since October and I was NOT expecting a summer like this! lol. We are trying to be cheap and have not used the air conditioning ONCE yet this summer, we want to put the extra saved on our principle. My friend lives in Michigan and she didn't warn me about the heat when we said we were considering moving here!!!

On the plus size, my garden is doing AMAZING! I haven't had to buy anything at the stupermarket for two weeks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're sitting under the shade trees in the yard. We've got a wading pool for the little girls. (Or whoever) One of the church's had water games yesterday for the kids in town. We've been swimming and will go again. We have gifted to us window airs in the upstairs to make it tolerable for the kids. My oldest boys sleep in the basement where it is NICE. We could all go bother them : We have a couple nice oscillating fans in the living room. Lots of cool showers going on for dh and I since I don't fit very well in the wading pool. I do soak my feet though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
    I hate it this dang hot. I dread my July electric bill.
    OMG me too between the air conditioning and the pool filter its gonna be killer

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have no A/C in my truck and it is extremely hot and humid here (Houston TX). I turn the A/C in the house to 81 degrees when I get up in the morning. I do my chores, water plants/yard, etc. early before the heat of the day builds up. I also run my errands early in the morning. The drapes and blinds are closed, a fan is blowing on me wherever I am in the house, and in the afternoon I move around as little as possible. I DEFINITELY don't go outside.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Awful!! It was 108 here yesterday with the humidity. We have no a/c. We live in Minnesota for a reason! I HATE hot weather.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It wasn't until around the '90s that I had an apartment with ac. Until then I had lived in two third floor apartments. Growing up there was one lone ac in the parents room. How in the world I survived I am not sure. One apartment I think I had about 4 fans going at once. Also would fill the bathtub up with water and go sit in it when it was hot to cool off.

Right now I have the curtains closed except for the patio door which is in the shade right now. I have two fans running. Since the humidity is low today will probably turn the air on around 2-3:00. But keeping the thermal curtains up really does seem to keep the heat out and the air in. At night I turn the ac off and keep a fan running in the bedroom. So far so good. In August I think it will be a different story.

Stay safe and cool every one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just looked at the weather online, and as of right now it's 96 with a heat index of 115. And the humidity is predicted to rise with the temp through the afternoon. It's only 1:00. Just walking in from the parking lot, my eyeballs feel boiled and my hair is sweaty. It will be cooled off when I get off work at 11 pm for the drive home.

For today, I'm ok. I'm at work now, which is like being in an underground chiller. When I'm at home, I turn the A/C to around 78 during the day and keep a floor fan blowing on me. But I have to have it cool to sleep. I turn the A/C down to about 72 and sleep with a fan - under a light sheet. I can't do warm at night at all.

We are in the typical summer rain pattern. A chance of random thunderstorms every afternoon and early evening. It gives the grass a little water but really only makes it worse, since it just steams off and makes it more humid. This is truly a wretched summer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm right there with ya, Debbie-Cat. Between this and the shut-down I'm working overtime at being cranky. The heat index here is only ninety today, so it could be worse. I keep thinking about being in Missouri at this time last year with heat index of about 120, overnight lows in the eighties, and humidity upwards of 100%, and still feel lucky.

Our central AC is on the fritz so no AC in the house, but I have the window air cranked up in my office right now! I'm too old to be in hot weather! And we live in Minnesota for a reason, too!

We're keeping a close eye on our pets to make sure they're not in distress.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast