Hy-Vee fires disabled man over 20 cents
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Hy-Vee fires disabled man over 20 cents

Just passing this along to those in the Midwest who may shop at Hy-Vee.

Story here...

Basu: 20-cent 'theft' leads to firing of disabled worker | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

Petition on his behalf here...

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/reh...-twenty-cents/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How sad and infuriating...I don't live anywhere there are Hy-Vee stores.

But, my son (also disabled) ran into a similar situation when he worked at Pamida. They had let him on numerous occasions take bottles/cans that the store did not accept. Then they fired him for taking bottles...I wrote a lengthy letter to their coporate office in Wisconsin and shortly thereafter the manager of that store was fired. Gave me a little satisfaction but, my son has never recovered from being fired and has not had a job since where he would draw a paycheck.

People have no clue about how hard it is to be disabled until their family is affected by disability.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sad... but I would bet there is more to the story. People are seldom fired over a single incident.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have no doubt that there is "more" to the story. However, I find it incredibly shifty that the company is currently challenging his claim for unemployment, but also offered him a minimum wage zero benefit position at another store (he had previously received $13/hour with benefits, including 4 weeks of annual vacation time).

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the fact that they were willing to have him work at another store if he started back at minimum wage is very telling.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't think that it has been verified that he was offered a job at another store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Polly: Are you saying union-busting tactics?

I think it's terrible that anyone would be fired over 20 cents, disabled or not.

Also, I agree, maybe there's more to the story...

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know if this store has a union or not. What I do know, first hand, is we have stores out here that have had an unwritten, hushed up policy implemented, to fire, or otherwise make the workplace so undesirable that people quit. These people they want OFF their payrolls are those that are receiving any company benefits and anyone making over minimum wage. They then will do new hires at minimum wage, no benefits. One chain will not even give their managers over minimum wage! They salary it, and make the managers work 80 hours a week. Their pay comes out to less than minimum wage.

We've had lots of union talks out here. People are tired of working like dogs, and being treated like garbage because if they didn't take this job they'd be begging on the streets. It's nasty and cut throat out here for crappy jobs. What happened to this guy, is the norm out here (for everyone). Only, they don't offer you your job back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No union at this store.

ETA: Iowa is also an at-will employment state. Employees can be let go at any time for any reason as long as it's not illegal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    I think the fact that they were willing to have him work at another store if he started back at minimum wage is very telling.

Yep.........I agree. If he truly was a thief why would they want him back?.........on the other hand, he becomes a much cheaper employee on the payroll when back at minimum wage, no bene's, and no vacation, and no "potential" retirement.

saw this happen often while in Calif. and working at UI office........Sears and B of A were one of the worst.......and the 'quick stop gas stations' didn't even want anyone working there long enough to get any type of vacation or benes........didn't care what it cost to train a new employee!! (a manager told me this!! corporate policy---unspoken, of course)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It seems to me that the manager simply didn't want to be paying that much to someone that does so little. I can see his point, from a bottom-line perspective, but it creates such awful goodwill towards a store that I can't see it being worth the cost.

The grocery store nearest me employs a couple disabled people, which I fully support. I don't mind waiting a few extra minutes for my groceries to be bagged, and it seems to give these employees a great sense of satisfaction. In fact, after 15 or so years of employment, one of them was pretty much forced to take a vacation, since he had never used a vacation day before. The local mini-newspaper had an interview with him, who said he enjoyed his time off, but was really looking forward to getting back to work.

Employees that want to work, and are happy with menial tasks, are hard to find.