What do you set your thermostat on ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What do you set your thermostat on ?

We have a natural gas furnace. I'm interested in saving money and fuel. I have been setting the thermostat at 70 during the day; and 65 at night. The night setting is very comfortable for sleeping since we like flannel sheets and warm quilts. During the day, I never feel warm enough unless I'm doing something active [like vacuuming, etc ] I usually wear a turtleneck, then a sweatshirt over that. But often I have to add another layer. Sometimes I actually feel resentful that I can't be warm in my own home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think then temps one keeps thier house at depends on the people living in the house, the area in which one lives, etc.

That said We personally at my house have natural gas furnace. We keep the house at 60 in the winter night and day.

This is a comfortable number for us. I do have to remind some children in my house they should have socks on and that tank tops only are not winter wear. I prefer if they were two layers at minium.

Little Miss in a tank top and a button up shirt, jeans, and Justice boots, she is at the table coloring.

Buddy is in socks, jeans, a shortsleeve shirt and a hoddie, he is at the computer on line.

Me I am in jeans, a long sleeve shirt toppped by a fleece pull over and am wearing tennis shoes and I am at another computer on line.

We do have blankets on the sofa for when we sit to watch tv. Snuggle time. And everyone wants the dog by them. LOL

It also seems a bit chiller upstairs (bedrooms and bathroom) then on the main floor so we do have a small space heater that has a temperature set and adds extra heat if it gets to chilly up there. Frost watch turns on at 55.

( 60 not actual temp in the house is a bit under 60 currently as the themosat is in the center of the house) So 55 in the kitchen currently where little miss is coloring the door was open a crack in there. She had let the dog out and had not chut it completely. 59 in the computer room, 58 in the living room/tv room.)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have our furnace set at 60 also day & night.

We use electric blankets at night, and I will turn the heat up to 67 occasionally if I am spending extended time in the kitchen or elsewhere in the house. When the house warms up, down it goes.

We have a heater in the bathroom vent that we turn on for heating up the bath.

I keep all the doors to any rooms that we don't use closed 24/7 - the vents also. We spend the majority of our time in the LR with a gas fireplace. I have heavy curtains hanging in the doorway to keep the cold air of the house out - and the warm air of the fireplace in.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

71 or 72 during the day and lately 68 at night. I may have to turn that down more because it starts blowing constantly by 3 or 4 am and I hate it. Our thermostat is in the central hall, but most of the heat comes up into the bathroom (idiot design) and we have to shut it up at night because of the cats. So our bath gets to about 80 in the night and the rest of the house is 65 and the heat just blows and blows....
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    We have our furnace set at 60 also day & night.

We use electric blankets at night, and I will turn the heat up to 67 occasionally if I am spending extended time in the kitchen or elsewhere in the house. When the house warms up, down it goes.

We have a heater in the bathroom vent that we turn on for heating up the bath.

I keep all the doors to any rooms that we don't use closed 24/7 - the vents also. We spend the majority of our time in the LR with a gas fireplace. I have heavy curtains hanging in the doorway to keep the cold air of the house out - and the warm air of the fireplace in.
    I would so love a fireplace. The house we owned when a Buddy was a baby had a log fireplace.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We set ours at 64 degrees - since I work night shift we pretty much have to have it the same day and night. . . I go to bed with a rice bag to warm up the bed so I can get to sleep.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It doesn't get any colder than 21 in here, and when I'm cold I turn it up to 23. (That is 69f to 73.4f). I'm always cold, even in summer and my house is old and thermostat is placed in a stupid area. When it says 23 I doubt that is accurate except for right where the thermostat is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We keep it at 20 during the day, and 19 at night. We have an 8 month old. Pe-baby, we kept it at 17 night and day except from 5 to 6am and 5 to 9 pm when it was at 21.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is set at 62 day and night. We have a fancy thermostat that you can set to different temperatures at different times. We have it set to warm the house up to 64 from 6 am to 7 am. I do bump it up during the day. I usually try to keep it around 66. What I actually bump it up to depends on how many people are in the house, how windy it is outside, what appliances we are using, if we are using the oven or the crockpot, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When we are home we have the downstairs no higher than 67. If we're going to be gone a while we turn it back a couple of degrees. At night it is set to 60 (programmable thermostat).

Upstairs (where all the bedrooms are) we have it on 66 IF the kids are home; otherwise, the heat is on only in the mornings and only if the morning is really cold.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We also have natural gas but I live in a very mild climate so we don't have the heat on at night and I basically turn it on in the morning just to take the chill off the house and then turn it off again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I refuse to be cold..I am wearing sweatpants, house shoes, and a thick t shirt...I keep it on 71.....day and night... I also have a heater in laundry room and in downstairs bedroom the downstairs is always cold.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

67 to 70 when we are home during the day. 60 at night. I like sleeping cold and so do the guys. I would prefer it warmer during the day. if we use the wood stove I let it hit 78!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine is usually around 68-71 depending what is going on. Most times it won't come on at 70. I live in an apartment now and am buffered pretty well by other units. I'm total electric here and my last bill was $41.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

72 and occasionally 75. But our front door is leaking (I can see out thru the crack) and the back door has a gap as the ants ate the sill and bees nested in it (DH is getting right to that.lol) plus we have a leaky fireplace w/o doors so its drafty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast