Anyone Else From MN?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone Else From MN?

Always looking for new friends in MN.  Anyone else here from this beautiful state?

Susie in MN

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not, but dh's father's family is all in Mankato, Blue Earrth and Winnebago.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mankato is in southern MN. I'm not sure wher Blue Earth and Wiinebago are, I think that their also in the south.  My DH and I live in North Central MN, about 150 miles west of Duluth.  Was you DH orginally from here?

Susie in MN

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Both winnebago and blue earth are south, nearly on the border.dh's dad's family was from there, came over generations ago from Norway (or so I am told). Dh is an army kid, born in Germany. His mother is German, the first of her family to live outside of germany. all her brothers and sisters live still in Germany.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am born and raised in California, but my parents were from East Grand Forks, MN and Grand Forks ND. My grandmother still lives in EGF and all of my family other than my siblings live there. Are you close to those places?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That sounds so interesting!  Did you know that the first settlers here in MN were German?  They worked the iron ore and grapite mines here in Northern MN and started a number of differant towns in the arrowhead region.  Did they do any farming here?

Susie in MN

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm about 150 miles west of Duluth, 50 miles west of Grand Rapids. I had the opportunity to visit Grand Forks and Fargo about 2 years ago while taking a friend of mine "Cowboy Del" to the VA hospital there. Even though I didn't get much of a chance to see the area, what I could see was pretty nice.

We live in the Chippawa National Forest on five acres of wooded land. Love it here! Before our home here, we owned 40 acres in the Lake of The Woods area, near Baudette.

Susie in MN

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we actually live in colorado. My family is all from Maine. I don't know if dh's family were farmers, but I know one of his cousins married a man who is a farmer. If i understand some conversations correctly, they aren't all that far from Minneapolis/St Paul.

Where you are sounds beautiful.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in SE MN, near Rochester. It's mostly farming around here....dh is an aspiring farmer with 6 head of beef cattle. In real life, he's an electrician.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Wendy!  Nice to meet you.  We live up here in the woods, there aren't a lot of farms up here.  But there are lots of fishing/hunting camps. 

What is the land like down there?  The last time that I was in southern MN was to go to a meeting in St. Paul.  I have been to New Ulm several times though. 

Love it here!

Susie in MN

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Susie,

The land is very flat down here, although we're not too far from the Mississippi, so not nearly as flat as it is west of here. I've lived within a 20 mi. radius of home my whole life. I grew up in the country, and my dad was a sheep farmer. We didn't actually live on the farm, it was about 1/2 mi. down the road, but I got the experience.

I've not spent much time up in the "northwoods," but do know it's beautiful!

Wendy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's also pretty flat out by the Detoit Lakes area.  Lots of farm land west of Roseau too.  Lots of big farms, I don't think that they are privately owned though.  That's too bad.

I've known lots of farmers that don't live on the farm.  Several I know bought the land and there might have been an old farm house on it, but not livable.  They usually have pole barns on the prop. to store equipment.

I was raised (part of my childhood) on a farm in eastern MI.  I owned my own farm in western MI for 10 years.  I had mostly horses and fowl.  And of course, gardens.  Good life!

Yep, it's beutiful up here.  We are the only home (full time) on the entire road.  A few people come in for the summer and there's a popular public easement to Boy Lake.  So we see a lot of fisherpeople here in all seasons.  In fact, I'm watching the parade of fish houses going down the road.  It's time to bring them in because of the warm weather here.

Nice to meet you!  People in MN are some of the most friendly people in the US.  That's one reason we moved here from MI.

Susie in MN

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's where the term "Minnesota Nice" comes from!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree!  I once read (somewhere) that it's difficult to get people into MN, but once their here, you can't get rid of them!  This is so true.  People think that our state is nothing but snow, cold weather and ice.  NOT TRUE!  We warm up up here just like everywhere else, but we warm up to everything and everyone!  Our taxes are lower here (property), the cost of living is lower here (then MI) and the people are warmer!

It's like dying and going to Heaven, while your still alive.

Susie in MN

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Born and raise in Mn St. Paul suburbs. We will be Wi people in the fall tho. we are building a house in New Richmond,WI as soon as we can dig!

But most of the family is in MN St. Paul Suburbs and then up north in Thief River Falls area and DH's family is mostly in the Bemidji area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast