Any Iowans out there
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Any Iowans out there

I am new here and I am curious if there is any fellow Iowans at Frugal Village.

So I am calling all Iowans.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I know there are a few of us running around here. I am in the Des Moines metro area.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in "central Iowa."

I like being at least a little vague on the internet.

I have the same media outlets as MrsMcDowell, but I'm a little more rural than metro.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am also live in "central Iowa" and watch the Des Moines area stations. I don't live in a metro area, but don't live in the rural area either. I live in a 'large" small town or maybe a small, small city. We moved here recently from another part of the state. We have a few stores in town, but my Dh and I are finding the we may need to travel to Des Moines once or twice a month to shop.
    For example, our only grocery stores are HyVee, Fareway, and Walmart. I am trying my best not to shop at Walmart (for philosophical issues), so that leaves HyVee and Fareway. We are trying decide if drive Des Moines to go to Aldi, Target, or Costco is worth the gas.
    We also used to frequent a small Amish country store for staples such as flour, sugar, and spices. They sold everything in bulk, and staples (especially spices) were inexpensive.
    Do you know if Des Moines has a bulk foods store or discount grocery?

I am glad to hear that there are other frugal Iowans out there.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Des Moines has Sam's Clubs and Costcos. Only two that I know of!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hear that Fareway is good for meats. Not just service, but price, too.

I've only shopped there a couple of times. That whole closed on Sundays things is rather inconvenient.

If any of you are regular Fareway shoppers, what are some prices I should look out for?

I drive right by one on my way home from work, so it would not be too hard to add it to my list of stores.

I usually hit Walgreens for the deals (milk is on sale again this week!), and do my regular shopping at SuperTarget and Hy-Vee. There is no Aldi near where I live, but there is one in the town where I work--practically right next door to my office--so I pick up a few things there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Fareway does have a good meat department. Most of there meat is kept behind the meat counter. You ask for what you want and they wrap it up for you. There meat is some of the freshest around and they usually run good sales.
    They are a small store (compared to HyVee). Sometimes they have good produce and sometimes they don't.
    The best thing about Fareway is that they price match other stores advertised prices. So if Kraft cheese is on sale at HyVee it is on sale at Fareway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi all!

I'm in Des Moines as well.

I agree, Fareway is great, esp for meat. We tend to shop at Aldi's for some stuff, Fareway for some stuff and Wal Mart for the rest. The only thing I don't like about Fareway is they don't have a great selection. Their frozen food section in particular is quite pitiful.
    We just joined Sam's so we're adding that into the rotation as well. We did have a membership at Costco a few years ago, but it's just too far away to make it worthwhile.

I'd really like to move to a smaller community outside of DM in a couple years. Our school systems in town are just too big.... but a lot of the areas outside DM are getting bigger too!

Look forward to getting to know everyone!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I grew up in south central Iowa, moved out of state for 30+ years, and now we are looking to move back. It sort of scares me! I've been out of the Iowa loop for quite a while!
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Iowa is not so bad. The Des Moines area has grown quite a bit. You'll be shocked at how much has been built up in the western area. There is a lot to offer... and a lot to tempt me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It is good here that there are other Iowans out there.

I have lived in Iowa for 9 years and boy have things changed. The Iowa City area has exploded with growth.

You are right about West Des Moines, it has grown a lot.
    I live about 30 miles east of Des Moines. We go into Des Moines once or twice a month to shop. It is cheaper to buy the majority of our groceries at Aldi or Costco, then it is to buy them at the HyVee or Fareway in town.
    I do prefer to buy produce at HyVee and meat at Fareway when it is on sale.
    I also enjoy the local farmers market. I have heard the Des Moines has a good farmers market. Have any of you been to it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live on the end of the state, the north west corner of Iowa. Only seven miles from the MN border and about any hour from the SD border. Fareway is a great store for many things. We also have a Hy-Vee here, there prices aren't that bad either

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in Iowa City. I go all over the place for groceries, depending on what I'm buying but primarily I shop at New Pioneer, Hy-Vee and Aldi. The farmers markets will be starting back up in a few weeks so I'm looking forward to that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in Northeast Iowa and in my honest opinion it's about the prettiest place in Iowa but I'm biased. Anyone else from this neck of the woods?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well - I grew up in that area (sort of) around Dubuque. I agree with you, it IS very beautiful in that part of the state!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast