This really made me mad!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Angry This really made me mad!

Yesterday around 4:30 my daughter (4) and I were out front and she was riding her bike, scooter, etc...while I raked the yard. Got done with that and then I was just playing with her. I could see down the street to maybe 15 year old girls going house to house doing something. Seeing that the Kirby Vaccuum people had been at the door the night before I thought to myself pack it up and move inside because I'm sick of it. Not to mention that the houses here...only have carpet on the stairs and in the bedrooms. Seriously like people are going to pay 3000 for a stupid vaccuum when they have no carpet. Anyway...so the girl are going door to door and I start dinner. Alot of the houses here are still empty but filling fast so they didn't have many to go to on my block. I figured they were Kirby people again and just skipped me this time. In walks my husband...saying I just spent the last 5 minutes outside with some girls trying to sell me magazine subscribtions. I just laughed at first and said oh that is what it was. He goes on that he asked if they had the magazine runners world because it was the only one he would have even thought about getting, and that would be just to be nice to help out whatever they were raising money for. Well, they didn't have it and he was like no sorry there just isn't anything we would ever read. Not to mention the cost $50 for a subscription...that is not a typo! So the girls turn to leave (here is what pissed me off!) she says to me "I am really dissapointed in the military here, aren't they suppose to be supporting our town?" WHAT!!!! His response was..."and comments like that are exactly why I wouldn't support you" I was so mad! He was just kinda annoyed. Do you know how many people in this town would not have a job if this base were to close!? But what were suppose to give hand outs because he is in the military...you have got to be out of your mind! OK I just had to rant that out.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ok. lol

ya know...teenagers are god's way of punishment for enjoying sex. lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to totally agree with you on the teenager thing! But, they could have been 70 years old for all I care. What bothers me is when people "group" the military in like they aren't just like everyone else. As in because of my husbands job we should act a certain way or buy something from every person that comes to the house and if we don't were bad people because of it. ha ha see the husband told me I was over reacting...I was just VERY offended by it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hmmm. Support is a two way street. Those girls should be thanking your husband for the job he does, not cursing him for not buying an overprice magazine.

Christena

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't buy from those people in any situation. I made the mistake 5 years ago and never got the magazine! Con artist if you ask me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You know what bothers me too? Some military towns aren't a bit grateful that they have a base nearby. I remember being in Cherry Point, NC and the cold shoulder that a lot of the locals gave to Marines.

When more people start being thankful for what others sacrifice to have their freedoms, then I will give them the same respect.

I'd probably have acted the same way that your DH did.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to disagree on a point you made. As military we are NOT like everyone else. There are things that we deal with as families and soldiers that civilians do not have to and dont know that we do.
    As far as economics, most military posts are the life lines of the towns that they are near. In my expierence some towns are more welcoming then others
    These teenage girls dont have a clue about anything esp military. I wouldnt let it bother me

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I live in a town that has a major base. Most people in this town and the ones close by work on base, but they are some of the rudest (sp) people I know.
    There is another base that my DH works on that is close by. There is one town that he has to drive through to get to work. Most people in that town are so anti-military, it's not even funny. But most of the money that comes into that town, is from the military.

It really bugs me when people who are not military, tell me that they know what we go through when our spouse's are deployed, that they know the sacrifices that we make.
    Unless you have been there, you don't really know.
    Those girls have no idea what it's like to live on a non officer's salary. Yes my dh makes good money, but that does not mean we are by any way rich, or that we can throw money around.

It bothers me to no end when people make comments like those girls did.

sorry, off my soapbox now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Try to cancel that subscription! When DH was at Offutt AFB, they had those girls frequent the dorms often. There'd be two of them, they'd flirt their way or say they're trying to pay for a vaction blahblahblah into getting guys to buy expensive subscritptions. DH actually had $40 a month deducted from his account for about 5 magazine subscriptions.

After about 6 months, they "didn't carry" some of the magazines DH signed up for and made their own substitutions!

When we got married, one of the first things I made him do was cancel those. It was soooo hard to cancel them- they just kept auto renewing. Finally, we were able to use his bank to get a contact # for the company and after many phone calls were finally able to get rid of them.
    Last edited by wanderlusting; 01-10-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That was very rude of them but they were just a bunch of dumb kids.

(And honestly I don't see what pay has to do with anything or why a 15 year old would even care about pay...)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gah! I just re-read.....I thought your DH did get the subscription...but now see he didn't

That comment those girls made would irritate me too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Someone said made a comment about the military being the life line in some towns. That is very true for the particular area we live in. It's a very small town and this base was actually on the close down list. It was saved and there are thousands of people expected to be moving here so it really is going to bring this place to life.
    I've lived in places that have absolutely hated the military and it went as far as there being hate crimes against service members and I've lived in places that have been great and treated us as one of their own. Our current town is great and I don't mean anything bad against the town because I'm sure 99% of the people are great and have been thus far...you know there are always a few out there to give others a bad name.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I grew up as a military brat, and I know at a lot of the places we lived the locals seemed to hate the military and complain about how the enlisted men were bad for the town. Until closures started happening, anyways, and then suddenly everyone realized what could happen when several thousand families move away and aren't shopping, or eating in restaurants, or renting homes in the area. Then it was all about how much they loved us and needed the base and the money coming in from soldier's families.

I've encountered those magazine girls before, and it either a scam or something pretty close. They get naieve college girls to go door to door selling magazines to "earn a free trip", and after they take your money you never hear from anyone again. Or see your magazine.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is just scary!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast