Waiting for orders
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Waiting for orders

Yup.

That's about all there is to say.

/sigh

We asked for Monterey, CA.

One of the worst jobs the man can get is the one that they always have to pull a lot guys to do. It's in Charleston, SC and it is notorious for being a horrible shore duty. Guys will request to stay on sea duty rather than do it. I wouldn't mind the location, but the hours would be unbearable.

I was just getting comfortable with the idea of Charleston because I figured there was such a good chance to end up there, and then we find out that there's not enough volunteers for ROTC so the detailer is going to be forcing guys to go to ROTC units. Those are pretty cushy jobs, so it's unusual that they would have to send guys who didn't volunteer for it. There's ROTC units all over the country. ROTC wouldn't be bad at all, but gosh, we could end up basically anywhere.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And we're moving in like 5 months. I'm moving in 5 months and I have no idea where to!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's so weird that less than 12 hours after I posted this, our XO calls and tells us that we're going to Monterey. I'm happy, but super nervous.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hey, we're going to be neighbors (sort of)!! In the same state anyway, and less than a couple of hours apart!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Woohooo!! My daughter was stationed there and LOVED IT but she warns it will NOT be as warm as you may expect. She was from Colorado and FROZE many mornings because she was not expecting the wet coldness from the shore. I don't know if they had a particularly cool summer last year but even the hottest days in the summer she said were nothing compared to Colorado's summer. She had been looking forward to hot-beach-cold-ocean times.

How nerve racking for you to move so quickly but really, my daughter loved it there, I hope you do too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Keeping you in my prayers.

Cat

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yay for getting orders to where you want!

We've always been a Guard family, so we haven't had to deal with this process.

Will you explain it to me? I'm curious.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, it's kind of different for different stages in your career. When we first left school in Charleston, we were given a list of potential duty stations and the types of subs and we were told to list our top ten duty station/ sub combinations. We could also leave notes about what we absolutely don't want, or what was most important to us in the new assignment. Then, we just sat around and waited to get assigned some place.

For the shore duty, they post a list of potential duty stations that they refer to as the slate. When the guys finish up their sea tour, their scheduled rotation date is in one of 4 quarters of the year, and everyone who rotates off the boat on that one quarter looks at the same slate. That one slate will include a list of all the jobs that will be opening up in that quarter. The guys will do another wish list, but this time it includes a lot of back and forth between the detailer, a lot of politics and negotiations. During the few weeks that the slate is open, some of the slots will be filled by returning IA's so they'll post updated lists and a lot of the nicer jobs just disappear. After a few weeks of being posted, the slate will close and we all sit around and wait for orders.

I imagine that our next sea tour will be more like the first, we just submit a wish list and wait. The thing about getting assigned to a boat is that people are constantly getting fired or getting sick or getting in trouble with something else, so your orders can change 3 times before you actually get to your boat. There isn't much negotiation there because they need you where they need you when they need you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yay, for orders!!! We're waiting on them too. I think DH is just going to volunteer for Honduras (1 year unacom) so he can have choice when he gets back (he wants Hawaii, I want Ft. Campbell, KY). I'm going to miss Germany so much!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hawaii is a very pretty location, but it's very hard to live there. A friend of mine was stationed in Hawaii with the Navy and said the cost of living is so outrageous they could barely afford to live there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've heard a couple different things about Hawaii. I know they have a high cost of living and some folks warn you away for that reason, but they also give you a COLA and others have told me that the COLA more than makes up for it.

My husband wants to go to Hawaii, too. He's never set foot on it, but he has parked off the island for various things. He stood watch on top of the boat and based on what he saw and the weather down there he really wants to go. I don't like flying though.

Good luck with your orders, Lindsey!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Blessings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Hawaii is a very pretty location, but it's very hard to live there. A friend of mine was stationed in Hawaii with the Navy and said the cost of living is so outrageous they could barely afford to live there.
    I have a friend that is an officer and they complained about the price in Hawaii. He got transferred back to the states as quick as he could.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My son just left for 2 yrs in Germany early this month. His family hasn't moved yet. They are waiting to see if he leaves for Afgan. in February before the family moves.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Monterey is just beautiful! When we lived in CA we would sometimes take a little vacation and drive along the coast to visit Monterey and Carmel. I love the beach, and the aquarium is amazing! I know you'll enjoy your new home!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast