Gov't shutdown could mean no pay. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Actually, all Obama did was sign it. It was drafted by a Republican from Kentucky and both the House and Senate had to pass it.

And your'e welcome. I'm concerned as well. =/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for posting the updates!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I really wish they'd get their act together on Capitol Hill. My daughter's very worried about whether or not she'll get paid on April 1st...she's in the reserves. It would also affect my son and his family, they're active duty, and the hubby and I wouldn't get our retirement pay.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know quite a few airmen that have stayed in the military because there is job security. It seems to me that the last thing the government would want to do is shake that confidence. Not smart...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Luckybustert View Post
    I really wish they'd get their act together on Capitol Hill. My daughter's very worried about whether or not she'll get paid on April 1st...she's in the reserves. It would also affect my son and his family, they're active duty, and the hubby and I wouldn't get our retirement pay.
    We are definitely getting paid on the first! But like I said, they have 3 weeks to get together a permanent budget to avoid a shut down. I think it's possible that within the next month or two we'll see delayed pay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    We are definitely getting paid on the first! But like I said, they have 3 weeks to get together a permanent budget to avoid a shut down. I think it's possible that within the next month or two we'll see delayed pay.
    Thanks, my daughter will be very relieved to hear that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're still not out of the woods. Please be mindful of your money and encourage friends and family to do so as well if they are military.

Odds of government shutdown rise as parties snipe over faltering budget talks - The Washington Post

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We still do not have a budget. Our current stopgap expires on the 8th, and our Reps and Dems have agreed on how much to cut from the budget, but not where. (It's progress, but not a lot of progress.) So they have a few more days to work it out. Republicans wanted originally to cut 66 billion from the budget, and Democrats wanted to cut 6. The real rub is where they want to cut it. Republicans wanted to defund "Obamacare", Planned Parenthood, and NPR. I guess that didn't go down to well with the Democrats. I'm not sure if the Republicans are still going to try to defund these things. Apparently both parties have now agreed to 33 billion in cuts, so if they can just agree what to cut we should be okay.

On the other hand, if it doesn't work out, the DoD has released a memo outlining what what happen in the event of a shutdown. This is from just before the last stopgap was passed, but I'm sure it's still relevant.

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/pdfs...oop_031511.pdf
    All military personnel will continue in a normal duty status regardless of their affiliation with exempt or non-exempt activities. Military personnel will serve without pay until such a time as congress makes appropriated funds available to compensate them for this period of service.
    I've heard rumors that military pay would be unaffected by the shutdown, and I hope that I'm putting that rumor to rest at least for you guys. I'm reading this to say that Congress has the ability to appropriate funds for military pay without passing a budget, so I'm hoping that this will happen. I've heard (can't confirm) that military pay was delayed by a few days in '95 but that they still got paid. I'm assuming that this is what happened then. We went on shutdown, and rather than make our military members go without pay, they passed emergency measures that got us our money a little late.

Unfortunately, it happened so long ago I can't really find any good information on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rep Gohmert of TX has introduced a bill that would ensure military pay through fiscal year 2011 even if there is a government shutdown. It's been referred to committee but hasn't been voted on by either the house or the senate. You can track the progress of the bill through Govtrack. I think it will be passed by the middle of next week.

H.R. 1297: To appropriate such funds as may be necessary to ensure that members of the Armed Forces,... (GovTrack.us)

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Please PLEASE take a minute to look at the link Nishu posted. You have the option to show your support for the bill!

DO IT! I just did. Takes less than 5 minutes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Please PLEASE take a minute to look at the link Nishu posted. You have the option to show your support for the bill!

DO IT! I just did. Takes less than 5 minutes.
    Thanks for posting this- I didn't realize there was that option until you posted this.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So... for those of you who are interested...

Rep Gohmert of Texas introduced a bill a couple days ago that would guarantee the military get paid in the event of a shutdown. That bill (1297) has not been voted on, and as of today they couldn't say when it was going to be voted on. They also could not tell me whether or not the military would get paid without a similar one. (Yeah I called. I'm a buttinski.)

This evening they started to report that the GOP was preparing another stopgap, but some people were reporting that they were preparing for a shutdown. As it turns out, they're doing both.

House Republicans Ready Plans In Event Of Budget Impasse

WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- House Republicans late Monday readied contingency plans in the event that Congress fails to reach an agreement to keep the government funded beyond Friday, when an interim measure expires.

House Speaker John Boehner's (R, Ohio) office said that the party would post the text of another short-term funding measure, intended to keep most parts of the government funded for one additional week, through April 15. The Pentagon would be funded for the remainder of the fiscal year under the measure, responding to complains from Defense Secretary Bob Gates about the damage to the military from short-term funding measures.

In the meantime, Boehner also directed the head of the House Administration Committee, Dan Lungren, to issue guidance on how the House would operate in the event of a government shutdown. The moves came after a late-night meeting within the Republican caucus, and hours before congressional leaders are to meet with U.S. President Barack Obama on how to break an impasse over the budget.

GOP aides said that the short-term measure, which was still being developed, would result in $12 billion in cuts over a one-week period--a much more significant pace of cuts than Congress has currently imposed. So far this year, Congress has reduced spending by $10 billion from previous spending levels, or cuts of $2 billion a week, representing a down payment on larger cuts that are still being negotiated.
    I really think they're doing this with no anticipation of it getting passed, and that they're really expecting a shutdown to happen. I'm assuming they didn't vote on Gohmert's bill yet because this stopgap included funding for the DoD (which, I think would put our military paychecks in the clear.) Anyway, tomorrow is a super exciting day. Rep Paul Ryan is going to drop his 2012 FY budget, which is supposed to include massive cuts. I heard that this will give republicans room to give, since they can relent on the fy 2011 in anticipation of winning big with 2012.

What do you guys think? Is this gonna happen? It's kinda sorta starting to look like it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The issue of whether we'd get paid during a shutdown has been cleared up. We won't. If HR 1297 passes, I think we might, but it has stalled in committee.

Service Members Would Earn Pay During Shutdown

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- Military members would continue to earn wages in the event of an April 8 shutdown of the federal government, but they'd have to wait to collect them until Congress agrees on a budget, a senior administration official said April 6.

During a telephone briefing administered by the Office of Management and Budget, a senior administration official detailed the consequences of a possible federal government shutdown that will occur April 8 if Congress doesn't agree on a budget.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OMG! If their is a shutdown, the commissaries here will close down on the 9th- they will furlough all the workers. There are town hall meetings about this at the bases here.

I am going to have to drag the boys to the commissary tomorrow to stock up on wipes, baby food, formula, and meat (we have lots of side-dish stuff).

If there is a shutdown, the commissaries won't open back up unless they augment military to man the stores or a new budget gets passed.

Ugh...I can't afford to buy groceries on the German economy if things don't go through. I'm glad I stockpiled a bit- not as much as I would have liked. But I will only need to get meat for me and DH tomorrow

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jenny, they might just be guessing about the commissary closing. I just got off they phone with ours and they said that they haven't been told specifically yet whether they're going to stay open, but they think they will as they're an essential service. The decision of what to keep open isn't cut and dry, and when you think about it, they have stuff that will spoil if they close. The commissaries would lose such a huge amount of money.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast