Gov't shutdown could mean no pay. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

And at a town hall meeting some time ago, our base XO apparently told everyone not to worry about pay because they'd cut so many other things before they cut pay. He didn't think this because anyone told him, obviously, because he clearly did not understand what the problem was in the first place. I think he was just guessing. This has been a problem all throughout the military, no one is getting information so commands and individuals are just left to fill the gaps themselves.

It's a good idea to stock up, for sure, but they may stay open.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yeah- I thought I heard something about military being augmented in. But I don't wanna leave things to chance and just get the things I can't live without.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't believe the nerve of you XO- making things up!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If any of you were worried about our President, Congress, Senate, being paid, yes they will continue to receive pay since they are deemed 'essential' govt. employees.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gah! My friend went to the commissary tonight before they closed and there are signs up saying that they will close on Saturday if they have to go into furlough. And it has the manager's e-mail addy and phone number

Dixie- thank goodness they'll still get paid. With how little they make, they need every cent they can get. Poor them (rolling eyes)!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    If any of you were worried about our President, Congress, Senate, being paid, yes they will continue to receive pay since they are deemed 'essential' govt. employees.
    They will receive pay, but only because they are paid out of non-appropriated funds. Even "essential" employees are going to be losing their paychecks. There is a rumor going around that essential employees will getting paid and I assure you that is not the case.

All military pay and federal employee pay is payed out of appropriated funds.

There have been a couple attempts to block congressional and presidential pay in the past couple weeks, but I am pretty sure the constitution requires that pay changes to these people do not take affect until the following year. (That's meant to discourage frivolous pay raises, I imagine.) Any attempt to block their pay would have been another empty gesture and, imo, now is not the time to worry about it anyway. They've got other crap to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by jennybethg View Post
    Gah! My friend went to the commissary tonight before they closed and there are signs up saying that they will close on Saturday if they have to go into furlough. And it has the manager's e-mail addy and phone number

Dixie- thank goodness they'll still get paid. With how little they make, they need every cent they can get. Poor them (rolling eyes)!
    WOw, really? I'd call ours again but they're probably sick of hearing from me. maybe I'll disguise my voice.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A FB friend posted these:

Gates discussing shutdown:
    Shutdown Could Affect Young Troops Most, Gates Says | Facebook

This has some typos/spacing issues but it is a Deputy Defense Secretary Guidance statement:

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This says military commissaries will remain open worldwide:

Continuing Family Support During a Government Shutdown|DoDLive

If anyone wants to add me and follow my obsessive and way-to-frequent updates on the shutdown, here's my profile page.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1619886774

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Woot! We're getting full paychecks! The Stars and Stripes this morning said that by mid afternoon, Ramstein commissary exceeded the sales from the whole day of December 24th!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Woohoo! We're on another stopgap till Thursday. They've supposedly agreed on a budget and are just putting it in formal writing and letting the 72 hours pass before it can be voted on, so I think this is really the end of the issue. Just in case though, I'm not going to run out and buy a bunch of Coach purses or get an iphone just yet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have put a note on my FB page that you guys might want to read if you have time. We've got 3 issues that could potentially derail our pay again, and I've linked a couple things that you might find interesting. Feel free to share it if you want, it's public. (If you can't see it, let me know.)

Login | Facebook

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post
    . Just in case though, I'm not going to run out and buy a bunch of Coach purses or get an iphone just yet.

What do you mean? I need Coach purses to go with my Juicy tracksuit. I need to look my best while I get my hair and nails did

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not military. I work for a DOE lab though. I'm anxious to see the details and how much the Office of Science was cut.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $25,675.45/$25,676.45 (Goal COMPLETED: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I won't feel comfortable until the budget is signed and in place. From the looks of it it seems that this is a one week stop gap which means come next Thursday we get to go through the whole thing again.

DH and I cracked the funds we were saving for a car and used it to buy groceries. It will help stretch his paycheck should the need arise.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast