Gov't shutdown could mean no pay.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Gov't shutdown could mean no pay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That stinks. Congress should have passed a budget last year like they were supposed to do, then this wouldn't be an issue right now.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Frightening for those families that are full-time and dependent on the pay.

Might be a good time to do some stockpiling of essentials for those families that can swing it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It hasn't been that long ago, a year maybe? that something like that happened here. All the nurses at the veteran's hospital, the police officers and some other state workers were required to show up for work but receive no pay until they sorted out things. None of the banks here would give loans to them because they did not trust the government to replace the back pay. A local credit union stepped up and gave everyone who wanted one a loan to float them. That said, it was a local credit union that helped, there may not be that option for others if what was written in the article should come to pass. I think McD is right about having a stockpile. It sure couldn't hurt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that stinks. I'm just glad that we moved into base housing. It would have really hurt if we would have had to come up with rent and utilities ourselves- the dollar rate to Euro is getting bad.

I'll probably stock up on diapers and basics at the commissary in case the commissary workers don't show up till they get paid.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is just awful .........I hope that everybody has at least a little bit of an emergency fund to tide them over.........
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congress averts government shutdown with another short-term funding bill – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

I think we're fine for now. I don't know what this is going to mean for the future. This kind of stuff makes me nervous, for sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My son and daughter are both in military and both medical so this would definitely affect their house.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I work for the Feds and ever since there was talk about shutting down I have been scaling back big time. I've made sure we have a good stockpile and we are saving every penny to make sure we can afford our mortgage and other commitments. It's not only tough on the pocket but tough on morale too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We were going to use our tax return to pay off some debt, but we're keeping it in savings until we see what happens with pay. DH is reenlisting on the 22nd and getting a bonus- I hope it hits the bank before the 1st.

News is that if there is a shutdown and the commissary workers don't work, the military will augment with military to make sure the military community can still get groceries. Thank goodness I won't have to worry about paying Euros for groceries.

I have a bit of a food stockpile so if there is a shutdown, I'll try to help out our friends or whoever needs help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess this still hasn't been resolved yet. I dunno. I'm very concerned about what's going to happen to our families. I mean, they should have savings, but realistically, I know a lot of them are going to be seriously messed up.

http://paycheck-chronicles.military....hutdown-plans/
    Update 3/14/2011: Apparently last’s week anticipated agreement to an additional continuing resolution may have been a bit premature. It seems possible that a continuing resolution will not be passed. I’m not exactly sure how to word it so that I can be adequately vague, but it is anyone’s guess at this point.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

HJ 48 has passed the house. It is expected to pass in the Senate as well. We have funding till the 18th, that means they have until Friday to get it voted on and signed. I'm trying to find out if the Senate voted on it today but no one's saying. I guess we'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Obama Signs Into Law Bill To Fund The Government For 3 Weeks

Obama has signed it. I guess we're getting paid at the end of the month.

The thing is, we have been operating on emergency measures since Oct, the beginning of the fiscal year. Both parties have reportedly said that they will sign no more emergency measures. I think that means that if they don't work out in 3 weeks what they've failed to manage in the last 6 months, we are going to be looking at a shutdown.

So, I'm going to be extra careful with the next couple paychecks, just in case.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nishu--thanks for the updates. Scary scary stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nishu- thanks for posting that. That's the first I heard about Obama giving us another 3 weeks. I'm so thankful that we'll be getting that paycheck and Dh's re-enlistment bonus. Hopefully they get the budget sorted.

I'm concerned about the deployed troops. If they're worried about getting paid and if their family back home will have money, they aren't able to focus on their mission and can lead to getting hurt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast