Ugh...Air Force PT Test :( (LONG)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Ugh...Air Force PT Test :( (LONG)

Dh failed his PT test today He passed the run, situps and pushups. He failed because his inch was 1/2 inch over. Just because of that 1/2 inch, he failed the entire test

I'm so worried now. This is the 3rd PT test he's failed in the past two years (failed because of waist measurement). If he fails his next one, it's an automatic discharge.

I'm so scared about having our security pulled from us- medical, paychecks, housing, commissary, etc.

His friend (who was Dh's subordinate) got kicked out for failing too many PT tests. He was able to find a job quickly because of their job training and security clearance. Last time DH failed his PT test, a few companies contacted him to say they'd love to have him if he ends up getting kicked out. But life as a contractor is shaky- never knowing if the company's contract with the government will be renewed each year..

At least one thing going for us is DH just re-enlisted for another 6 years last week. If he does get kicked out, the military has to pay his basic pay for the remainder of his 6 year contract when he leaves. This will give us security while DH finds a job.

And Dh has 12 years in- more than halfway to retirement checks each month and healthcare for life for me and him.

I'm going to have to push DH to exercise more and not keep any bad snacks in the house. He tests again in 6 months...wish us luck. I'm going to start super-ramping up our savings. Thank goodness DH is getting his re-enlistment bonus in about a week- that will wipe out our debt.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That is scary, jennybeth. Sorry to hear about this.

Do you know what measurements are required of him? If so, can you measure him maybe once a month to see how close he is or what else he needs to do to make weight/tape?

As a last resort, the day/night of the PT test make him do some of the tricks/tips that recruiters use to get people to make weight/tape. If interested, I have a few good ones up my sleeve from when I worked recruiting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

McD- that'd be wonderful to get some tips. The Air Force is a straight 40 inches whether you're 5 feet or 7 feet. We may have to start doing weekly tape measures.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is lame. This, and the perform to serve nonsense. Now that the economy is bad and people don't want to leave, the leadership has suddenly forgotten how hard it's been to keep people in in the past. They apparently feel confident enough in their numbers to start kicking people out on a whim. It stinks of arrogance. We all know that once they put something like this in place, they can't just take void it out when it turns out that it wasn't such a good idea.

One of these days, the economy is going to start looking up and the civilian sector is going to start offering good jobs again that don't involve fitness tests, uniforms, deployments, or getting yelled at ten times a day. Then where we will be? We'll have trouble making our numbers again and these stupid rules will still be in place, kicking out good people we can't afford to lose. Our hands are tied! is what they'll say.

Furthermore, 50 bucks says that the desk jockeys who thought this up don't have to abide by it and couldn't pass if they had to.

Sometimes I love being a military family. Sometimes, not so much.

I'm sorry, Jenny. I hope you get your husband whipped into shape so that you don't have to worry about this.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I get very irritated at the military's lack of attention to retention issues.

A lot of the things I am going to suggest are last minute efforts ONLY. They are in no way meant to be a long term standard of living.

In the months/weeks leading up to the next PT test, he needs to stay on a regular exercise plan as well as measuring himself. Cook healthy food, pack lunches, make healthy treats.

If in the last week or so he can't make weight/tape and only in the last week or so--do the following: fruit/veggie fast, no pops or anything that will cause bloating in the belly. Keep lots of fiber in his diet that last week or so!

If in the day prior to the weight/tape, he can't make tape, do the following, but again, only do it the day PRIOR! THIS IS IN NO WAY AN EFFECTIVE MEANS OF LONG TERM WEIGHT CONTROL. Wrap him in seran wrap. Make him sit in a steamy room (sauna, bathroom with shower going on hot, etc.) He will sweat that last bit of water weight. Again, he has to be VERY careful doing this.

Fighters cut weight all the time. Here's a pretty good forum listing ways to do so: Pro fighters cut weight very fast, HOW? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

Again, be VERY VERY careful doing this and only do so if all other means are exhausted.

This is not something I advise often as it is not a healthy means of weight loss control. But this is his career, pension, health care, BAH, everything on the line. Sometimes extreme measures are needed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Nishu View Post

One of these days, the economy is going to start looking up and the civilian sector is going to start offering good jobs again that don't involve fitness tests, uniforms, deployments, or getting yelled at ten times a day. Then where we will be? We'll have trouble making our numbers again and these stupid rules will still be in place, kicking out good people we can't afford to lose. Our hands are tied! is what they'll say.

Furthermore, 50 bucks says that the desk jockeys who thought this up don't have to abide by it and couldn't pass if they had to.

Sometimes I love being a military family. Sometimes, not so much.

I'm sorry, Jenny. I hope you get your husband whipped into shape so that you don't have to worry about this.

Thanks. Actually, the General on base who is responsible for choosing if someone is retainable or kicked out (he ALWAYS chooses kicking out), failed the pushups on his last PT test

What's funny is the Air Force is having trouble keeping E-6's in DH's careerfield in the military. They keep separating to work in the civilian sector. That's why Dh is getting a bonus- it's to entice him to re-enlist.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I get very irritated at the military's lack of attention to retention issues.

A lot of the things I am going to suggest are last minute efforts ONLY. They are in no way meant to be a long term standard of living.

In the months/weeks leading up to the next PT test, he needs to stay on a regular exercise plan as well as measuring himself. Cook healthy food, pack lunches, make healthy treats.

If in the last week or so he can't make weight/tape and only in the last week or so--do the following: fruit/veggie fast, no pops or anything that will cause bloating in the belly. Keep lots of fiber in his diet that last week or so!

If in the day prior to the weight/tape, he can't make tape, do the following, but again, only do it the day PRIOR! THIS IS IN NO WAY AN EFFECTIVE MEANS OF LONG TERM WEIGHT CONTROL. Wrap him in seran wrap. Make him sit in a steamy room (sauna, bathroom with shower going on hot, etc.) He will sweat that last bit of water weight. Again, he has to be VERY careful doing this.

Fighters cut weight all the time. Here's a pretty good forum listing ways to do so: Pro fighters cut weight very fast, HOW? - MMA Forum - UFC Forums - UFC Results - MMA Videos

Again, be VERY VERY careful doing this and only do so if all other means are exhausted.

This is not something I advise often as it is not a healthy means of weight loss control. But this is his career, pension, health care, BAH, everything on the line. Sometimes extreme measures are needed.
    Yeah, you sound like a recruiter. I'll tell you what, they should have begged me to stay in based only on the fact that I was willing to do this ^^ in order to enlist in the first place. Doing this take determination. I actually didn't eat the entire weekend before I was roped/choked. I was a b%&#$, too. It's kind of hard not to be, when you're not eating.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by jennybethg View Post
    Thanks. Actually, the General on base who is responsible for choosing if someone is retainable or kicked out (he ALWAYS chooses kicking out), failed the pushups on his last PT test

What's funny is the Air Force is having trouble keeping E-6's in DH's careerfield in the military. They keep separating to work in the civilian sector. That's why Dh is getting a bonus- it's to entice him to re-enlist.
    Oh, pardon me while I lmbo. The irony is delicious.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear that. We have a neighbor who is in and almost always fails tape. He is one of the most fittest guys I know! He did P90X and it worked some for him. He is just so muscular for his short frame.

Good luck to you guys! He'll probably pass with you being his "drill SGT"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Sorry to hear that. We have a neighbor who is in and almost always fails tape. He is one of the most fittest guys I know! He did P90X and it worked some for him. He is just so muscular for his short frame.

Good luck to you guys! He'll probably pass with you being his "drill SGT"

LOL- I'm already planning all of his tuna and rice, lean shake and lentil soup meals The last PT weight measurement he passed, I had planned and prepared every piece of food that went into his mouth. Lot of hard work, but it'll be worth it.

This is DH- he's short but built wide- not necessarily "fat". It's his darn Nordic genes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In addition to the Saran Wrap add Tiger Balm or Prep H to the mix. It shrinks the skin around the waist. Also make sure he stands up as straight as he can when he is getting taped. Don't look down or exhale during the entire process.

I have trouble with the Army's W/H requirements as well so I understand your frustration. As it is right now I'll either be put out on a medical or out on a weight chapter. I'm just tired of being told I suck because I got hurt and have trouble keeping my numbers in check. I have walls of awards and up until this last eval sterling evaluations but now I suck.

Okay- climbing off soap box.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

TCam- worry about you getting out DH runs into the same issue- the last PT test he failed because of his waist, his commander didn't give him a free day of leave for his birthday (everyone else got one).

DH's the same way- he's in demand and so far we've gotten assignments because of word of mouth and commands snatching him up before he gets assigned a base. But everything is teetering on his waist measurement.

UPDATE: DH and I are seriously considering him getting tummy liposuction. There have been a few Air Force personnel on base getting it done. Within the next 2 weeks, his reenlistment bonus will be deposited ($15k after taxes).

So DH is going to do some consultations with some plastic surgeons. He is still going to continue to excercise like mad and I will continue to monitor his food intake. But this will give him more wiggle room and he won't cut it so close. I know liposuction isn't "frugal". But if he gets kicked out of the military, we'll lose out on lots more than what lipo would cost.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

YAY! DH passed his PT test today! We ended up not getting liposuction for him.

I prepared all his snacks and meals. I was seriously the food police- my ears perked up everytime I heard him open the fridge or a cabinet and I was there to see what he was eating. It stunk- but it kept him accountable.

I also measured his waist every Sunday and posted the measurements on the fridge so he'd see it everyday. Thanks McD for the suggestion!

DH worked sooo hard- he PT'd 6 days a week and worked really hard on getting his waist size down.

I'm almost shaky from relief- he just called me from HAWKS. His waist was 37 inches!!!! And he passed with a score of 87. He also turned 30 today so that helped boost his score

Thanks everyone for the advice and words of encouragement. We're celebrating him passing his PT test and his birthday at a declicious German restraunt in the country

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Congratulations!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

I have just read this thread from start to finish.
    I am so very glad for you both that you got the results you wanted/needed.

How often does he have to do these tests and when does he have to do the next test?
    Sorry for the perhaps stupid question but I have no idea about these things.

(((HUGS)))))
    WTG!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast