Oldest Son Off To Basic Training - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My dh had enlisted in the Marine Corp did his 4-yr term...he would of been a lifer but that kind of life is no good for a marriage at least in my case..Anyway, I wrote him a letter every single day he was in Bootcamp..it helped him mentally get through...

My dh didnt know how to function when he came back home after his term trying to adjust to the cilvilian life again..they are so use to being told what to do in the Marine Corp thats its hard for them to think on their own..at least thats how I veiwed it...

I now will see my middle son off to the Marine Corp this summer..I already know the drill..Im sad that he is leaving us..but ,I also know this will better his chances of having a better life than what our little town has to offer him..

The Marine Corp is very picky now on who they choose to join...which wasnt the case when my dh joined in 88..there is so much to be offered to Kody that wasnt for my dh...Kody wants to stay in for the full term....

I already warned Kody not to get involved in a relationship a few years ago when he said he wanted to join and he listened! That will make it alot easier for him..

Tell your ds we are ALL proud of him...and please say Thank You to him for serving our country..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    We can talk about this. Hubby went this route--military first, and it truly gave him an edge as a police officer.

Lots and lots of letters, post cards, silly jokes. I remember when I got home from bct and ait, I felt so out of place, because people were talking about all these things (even pop culture stuff) and I had NO idea what they were talking about.

My younger brother wrote me a letter freaking out because he heard Chuck Norris died. So write. Lots. Even about stuff that seems dumb.
    Oh...thanks McD. I'm so glad that it will help to become a cop. I wasn't sure...seems like a long road to become a cop but what do I know...Lol.

I will write him while in BCT. Also, do you think I will get notice of when graduation will be? I know we will get a packet of some sort but I would like to plan ahead because I have to travel. I have heard that I mostly have to play things by ear as nothing is concrete in the Army.

Quote Originally Posted by brenda67 View Post
    My dh had enlisted in the Marine Corp did his 4-yr term...he would of been a lifer but that kind of life is no good for a marriage at least in my case..Anyway, I wrote him a letter every single day he was in Bootcamp..it helped him mentally get through...

My dh didnt know how to function when he came back home after his term trying to adjust to the cilvilian life again..they are so use to being told what to do in the Marine Corp thats its hard for them to think on their own..at least thats how I veiwed it...

I now will see my middle son off to the Marine Corp this summer..I already know the drill..Im sad that he is leaving us..but ,I also know this will better his chances of having a better life than what our little town has to offer him..

The Marine Corp is very picky now on who they choose to join...which wasnt the case when my dh joined in 88..there is so much to be offered to Kody that wasnt for my dh...Kody wants to stay in for the full term....

I already warned Kody not to get involved in a relationship a few years ago when he said he wanted to join and he listened! That will make it alot easier for him..

Tell your ds we are ALL proud of him...and please say Thank You to him for serving our country..
    Aw thanks, Brenda. I will tell him. I am proud of him but I see all these ultra patriotic moms (fyi- I am patriotic just haven't draped the house in 10 flags & 42 ribbons yet. & I wonder what I should be doing...not really a military family. Well guess I will be now.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You do what works best for you. We didnt tie the yellow ribbon round the old oak tree when hubby deployed. It seemed like a huge red flag in terms of home security.

You will be notified of when Basic is. The military is notorious for 'hurry up and wait' but from what I recall, our basic date was fairly nailed down. What career path (MOS) has your son picked?

Hubby was a Cav Scout and the mission they had in Iraq required a lot of schools/training prior to deploying. Those schools and trainings really helped hubby in terms of the LE career. Advise your son that when he is settled, outside of basic and ait, to take any schools offered to him. Many of the classes offered by the military will count as college credits (also helps with the LE career path).

Is your son active Army or did he go Reserves/Guard? I can't remember.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My best friend just had his second grad today. He graduated basic back in Dec 2011 and this one was b/c he's done his course training. I think he has a few more courses but they will take place at a third and final base, the one he will be stationed at permanently. And hopefully his family will move to be with him very shortly after.

With technology - we were able to keep in touch via email, text, calls & I believe he skyped often with his family with weekend visits. We didn't do snail mail nor mail care packages but I can totally see how that helps with the homesickness. (his base is just over an hours drive from my place so he visited us regularly on the weekends he didn't drive home w/carpool)

BTW He didn't enter the Air Force as a boy then get turned into a man. He entered as a man, turned into an even better man. I'm so proud of him for choosing this as his second career this late in life. And he hasn't stopped talking about how life changing his training and experiences have been. No regrets

I really think your son will love it and that it definitely will teach him a lot of things that can't be learned at home.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You do what works best for you. We didnt tie the yellow ribbon round the old oak tree when hubby deployed. It seemed like a huge red flag in terms of home security.

You will be notified of when Basic is. The military is notorious for 'hurry up and wait' but from what I recall, our basic date was fairly nailed down. What career path (MOS) has your son picked?

Hubby was a Cav Scout and the mission they had in Iraq required a lot of schools/training prior to deploying. Those schools and trainings really helped hubby in terms of the LE career. Advise your son that when he is settled, outside of basic and ait, to take any schools offered to him. Many of the classes offered by the military will count as college credits (also helps with the LE career path).

Is your son active Army or did he go Reserves/Guard? I can't remember.
    Thanks McD. That helps a lot. He is active Army. He is 11X? According to another site, that's really not an MOS but that is the info he gave me. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    My best friend just had his second grad today. He graduated basic back in Dec 2011 and this one was b/c he's done his course training. I think he has a few more courses but they will take place at a third and final base, the one he will be stationed at permanently. And hopefully his family will move to be with him very shortly after.

With technology - we were able to keep in touch via email, text, calls & I believe he skyped often with his family with weekend visits. We didn't do snail mail nor mail care packages but I can totally see how that helps with the homesickness. (his base is just over an hours drive from my place so he visited us regularly on the weekends he didn't drive home w/carpool)

BTW He didn't enter the Air Force as a boy then get turned into a man. He entered as a man, turned into an even better man. I'm so proud of him for choosing this as his second career this late in life. And he hasn't stopped talking about how life changing his training and experiences have been. No regrets

I really think your son will love it and that it definitely will teach him a lot of things that can't be learned at home.
    Thanks Lib. I think (after basic ) he will love it.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

this is what I found about 11x as an mos: 11X - Infantry Enlistment Option

His basic/ait sounds as if it will be one longer training session versus the split between basic and ait that many recruits have. He will get to select a preference between a few job options, but can get assigned or designated as whatever the military needs him to be.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

this is what I found about 11x as an mos: 11X - Infantry Enlistment Option

His basic/ait sounds as if it will be one longer training session versus the split between basic and ait that many recruits have. He will get to select a preference between a few job options, but can get assigned or designated as whatever the military needs him to be.
    Yes that's what I understand....and that's about the extent of it. I hope that's a good choice for him.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What a wise son you've raised! Have absolutely no experience here, but as a mother my heart understands. Looking forward to hearing how you both are doing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My son left last night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Time for the little birdie to fly now. It's hard for parents but you can be so proud of him.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Time for the little birdie to fly now. It's hard for parents but you can be so proud of him.
    Ya, I know...once i get done sobbing I can get to the proud part.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It'll get easier, I promise.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats to your family and your son for going into something that will make him a wonderful person not that he isn't already...Best to you as a mom...The birdies fly not matter what and he has taken the high road sounds like..Good luck to all of you..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know u are worried, he will be fine..he will be tired, and when he can call home he will want to talk to u...hugs and prayers..

My daughter is military....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Worry...From the womb to the tomb...their age has nothing to do with it. Son is in...I know what you mean.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4