Oldest Son Off To Basic Training
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Oldest Son Off To Basic Training

Dear Lord help me. Lol. My son enlisted in the Army & I am lost. Never saw this coming. The last person in my family that was in the military was my dad...and I was 2. Anyone been down this road? Going to GA for his graduation sometime this summer and that's the extent of my knowledge. TIA.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I haven't experienced a son or daughter enlisting, but in my case, I was the daughter enlisting.

He'll do just fine. It will be a great experience for him and open many doors.

Let me know if you have any questions--I'll try to answer!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

(((hugs))) I understand your apprehension concerning his decision. Us moms tend to worry about our kids no matter how old they are, but I'm sure your son will learn a lot from this experience.
    "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." John Lennon
    "Infinite goodness has wide arms." Dante

Change & Penny Challenges:
    Penny :
    Change :

2020 Coupon Savings and Perks Challenge:
    $172.82

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've learned to accept his decision ( Lol what choice did I have) and I support him . Just didn't think this was in his plans. My son has trouble cleaning up after himself...can't imagine him getting through training.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, and a hug for you, as well. My son did that to me, as well. I never saw it coming either. He survived two tours in Iraq and during the nastiest time of it over there, and I prayed and prayed, but he was fine (probably a lot safer than running around with his crazy-at-the-time friends here). It turned out to be the best for him. He returned so much more responsible and mature. I tease him that they finished raising him and taught him everything I couldn't or didn't. He's now a local police officer with a great wife, new house, and fantastic future. It will be okay for your son, too. There are lots of family support groups you can join, too. It always helped me to keep in contact with people who had kids in my son's unit. Sending care packages was always fun for us, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My oldest son leaves for Basic next Monday. He's enlisting in the Air Force. I went been through Basic myself a long time ago, so I can relate a little bit. Dh is having a harder time with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yup...my youngest dd enlisted in the Guard (6 years) in 2001. We were very, very surprised. She deployed to Bosnia right after medic training, and then to Iraq in 2004/2005. She reupped again....and works full time for the Army. She's a Staff Sgt. and has just gotten a job with the weapons of mass destruction incident response team for our state. She's currently in training as a lab tech for the mobile unit. She loves her job and is married to a Major. The military was a fabulous decision for her...they both work on base here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

He wants to be a cop too so hopefully this is the road to that. I will miss him dearly but I know it will all be ok. Life goes by so fast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good luck to him

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can Skype with him, Lynn. Maybe not till he's done with basic though.

I know when my brother was in the Army back in the sixties, those guys always loved getting anything in the mail. Doubt that's changed much. Homemade goodies were the best, from what he said, no matter what condition they arrived in. It should be easier now with overnight mail to get stuff there before it's stale.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To all those with family members serving or about to serve, and those who have served themselves, thank you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hoped my son would choose not to go in the military and he didn't. What did he do he became a cop. My son in high school wanted to be a cop. I was upset at first but now I am very proud of him. My son did go to college for criminal justice. The military should help him out with becoming a cop. My Dad was an MP during WW II and road a motorcycle!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My ds2 joined the Army, did 12 years. Two tours in Iraq. He has been out for app. six years. He got his first degree while enlisted, working on more schooling now. Not sure he'll finish as he has gotten a good job. He was a bit lost when he first became a civilian (not his choice, wife said she'd leave him if he re-upped). Funny thing, she left him anyway five years later.... Another story.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks everyone. I forgot about Skyping him, SD. We can do that after Basic. It will be strange here without him but I've raised him well (if I do say so myself lol) & it's time for him to do his thing.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LynnLC View Post
    He wants to be a cop too so hopefully this is the road to that. I will miss him dearly but I know it will all be ok. Life goes by so fast.
    We can talk about this. Hubby went this route--military first, and it truly gave him an edge as a police officer.

Lots and lots of letters, post cards, silly jokes. I remember when I got home from bct and ait, I felt so out of place, because people were talking about all these things (even pop culture stuff) and I had NO idea what they were talking about.

My younger brother wrote me a letter freaking out because he heard Chuck Norris died. So write. Lots. Even about stuff that seems dumb.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast