Any recently retired military families?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Any recently retired military families?

My hubby just recently retired back in Oct. '07 and we are just getting used to "retired" life.
    I would love to hear from other recent retirees, what your transitions have been like, changes you've made, any difficulties you've encountered, etc.

We are really blessed for Mike to have been employed by the Army Corps of Engineers after retiring, but he has been living out of state (in Tennessee) since Oct.
    While the kids & I have stayed behind here in Jacksonville to sell our home.

It's been stressful, but not nearly as stressful as those darned deployments.
    At least we get to talk daily and although with gas prices the way they are and while saving for our move, he has been able to come home twice since he left.

We do, thankfully, have a contract currently on our home, we are awaiting our inspections tomorrow (Jan.14, '08) and if everything comes back good with that, we have a closing date set for Feb. 15th.

Mike has met with a realtor up there and is starting the house hunting process.

So, if things progress as hoped, we should be able to get moved into our new house by the end of Feb.

So, anyone else with any retiree stories, advice, suggestions, etc., I'd love to hear from you!

Michelle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wish we were but still have 5 more to go and if I know dh longer. Good luck with the move

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks Jamie79 for the well wishes.
    You'll be suprised at how quickly those 5 years will pass, unless of course like you mentioned your hubby decides to stay for longer.

What branch of service is your family in? I always say "family" because the military life isn't just for the enlisted person, it affects the whole family on such a large scale.

Well, we had good news from our house inspection today so it looks like as soon as we find our home in Tennessee we'll be up there sometime around the end of February.
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are in the good ole Army

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My DH has been retired for about 5 years He always said when it stopped being fun he would retire and he did. He was in the Coast Guard and now he is working on a Coast Guard contract (for General Dynamics) and he sees the same people he always did except (as he says) he doesn't have to put up with all the crap, LOL! He loves his job now and is very happy and neither of us miss the military life.

We stayed in the house we had been in for awhile and have no plans to move from here

Good luck on your move!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nancycg56 View Post
    My DH has been retired for about 5 years He always said when it stopped being fun he would retire and he did. He was in the Coast Guard and now he is working on a Coast Guard contract (for General Dynamics) and he sees the same people he always did except (as he says) he doesn't have to put up with all the crap, LOL! He loves his job now and is very happy and neither of us miss the military life.

We stayed in the house we had been in for awhile and have no plans to move from here

Good luck on your move!

I can sympathize with the 'crap' you have to go throw as a military family.
    Everything is all politics, kwim?

That's great that you didn't have to move and were able to stay put where you are.

We had always talked about moving back to Tennessee once he retired, but with the job market the way it is, you just never know if you can make that a reality.
    We were both born & raised in Tennessee and although we're not moving back to our home, we are at least able to move back to our home state.

I am looking forward to our kids being able to finish out High school in a small town though, it's completely different than city life.
    I've been homeschooling both kiddos for the past 5 years and this upcoming school year I can finally feel a bit safer sending them back to school.

I say a little bit, 'cause with everything that goes on in the world today *anything* could happen *anywhere*, but it's somewhat less likely in a really small country town.

For me I'll just be glad when this very last move is over with.
    I don't want to trick myself into thinking this could very well be our very last move, but it's so nice to imagine that it could be.
    I told Mike that if I never have to move again it would be too soon.
    We aren't as young as we used to be, kwim?

Thanks for sharing your stories with me. It's really good to talk with others who are in similar situations.

Michelle
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...