Anyone ever been stationed at Ft. Bragg or Pope AFB, NC?
    Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone ever been stationed at Ft. Bragg or Pope AFB, NC?

Dh *might* get an assignment there. Has anyone ever been there? What was your experiences?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are not in the military, but I am a native of NC and have known families that were stationed there. Most people I know have NOT enjoyed being stationed in Fayetteville. Many choose to live away from the base in some of the smaller towns, some like friends of ours, actually moved an hour away to be closer to Raleigh, while her husband commuted. Outside of Fayetteville, the town, many people don't mind being stationed there as it is easy to get to Wilmington (the beach) or Raleigh (the 'big' city).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Never been stationed there but have friends who were and they call it FayetteNAM. Not good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know about the nickname. It "earned" that nickname in the "Nam era because that was the last stop before going overseas and it stuck.

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My sister in law has been stationed there for the last 15 years. Her husband is a DI for special forces. You know the guys wh can kill you a hundred ways without a gun. Jump out of planes without shoots, etc.. Your All American Boy Nextdoor types. lol
    We go and visit often her biggest complaint is when they are firing off the big guns it shakes her whole house. Also the fact that as soon as she gets to know neighbors they move. Lots of ins and outs. She stays and her hubby travels. The boys now in their early 20's have pretty much lived in the same house. What is what they wanted. Kevin may have gone for 6 monthes to this place or that but the family stayed.
    The weather is nice you get all seasons but mostly hot summer. Winter is there but shortened. Leaves are beauitful. Good flea markets there are several. They are currently getting ready to move just outside to Pinehurst for retirement.
    It is pretty much your typical military town Pawn shop, Lots of used car Lots and its share of sexual oriented businesses. But it also has a family oriented side with the military air.
    Laurie in Bradenton

Master Dollar Stretcher
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, he didn't get offered the job up there. Thanks anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live here now. I can say that 20 years ago this place was outstanding! About 5 years ago it all started to change. The crime rate here is CRAZY now! I personally had a horrible experience! The schools are rated among the LAST 5 of the 50 states in the US. There are no jobs unless you have a bachelor's degree or higher... and you STILL make minimum wage. I fortunately have my own business as an independent Mary Kay consultant so I can take my job where ever I go! As far as the military go... The people here hate it. I was told that some military people are not being offered housing because there are limited spaces left. I don't know how true that is compared to other bases, but it's what I HEARD. My friend has been in for 21 years and he hates it here! I guess I would have to put emphasis on the crime rate. It just keeps going higher and higher here. Keep in mind - I am originally from NY.