Miserly Monday 2019 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have been working towards eating up our pantry and going on our fourth week of dinner menu planning. I'm surprised we've been able to make it this long with sticking to a menu. It has saved us so much money! Also saved me so much frustration when everyone always asks "WHAT'S FOR DINNER???" LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by REDMAR5 View Post
    Have been working towards eating up our pantry and going on our fourth week of dinner menu planning. I'm surprised we've been able to make it this long with sticking to a menu. It has saved us so much money! Also saved me so much frustration when everyone always asks "WHAT'S FOR DINNER???" LOL
    It's amazing how much we can accumulate in the freezer and pantry. I've been trying to use up and my basement freezer is almost empty. We did stock up on steak and a good price this week. So lots of meals with steak. I have a few recipes that will work.

Today I'm going to get the birthday decorations for dgd's birthday. Can't believe she's turning 5. We aren't telling her about the surprise party. She's going to have a huge surprise when she gets here. Her uncle is moving back to the states and is making a quick stop here just in time for her birthday. She loves her uncle.

I'm also going to pick up a few little gifts for her too. Things like playdoh and slime. She's been asking for a scooter, so we may look into that.

Dinner tonight will be a recipe called Eggroll in a bowl. I'll serve it with cauliflower rice. I have hamburger that needs to be used up and some cabbage, so it's perfect.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, I am in the habit now of shopping from the freezer and pantry first. I go through phases of buying too much, and then it sits in the cupboard for ages, unused. Trying to use up at least 3 items from each every week.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did some visiting with a good friend of mine yesterday and talked a lot about everyday things. It was really nice catching up with her.

I am happy that it is Monday as the last few days have kind of thrown me off my routine. We did stick to our budget and as time goes by, that is getting easier and easier to do.

Went to a craft store this weekend and they wouldn't honor my 40% off any one regular item coupon. But it was OK as I was only buying one item anyway and the coupon would have been a bonus.

I did buy two pounds of pinto beans in an attempt to make my first real pot of beans. I've always bought them canned or someone else has made them and never me!!! They had two pounds for beans for 88 cents at the store and I knew I could try to not burn them and if they didn't turn out, no big loss.

I haven't yet but sometime this week I will give them a whirl

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's cold and "droozy" looking outside. Not sure if that's a word, but my sons used to say it all the time when they were young and it's stuck.

Need to get out and get some wrapping paper for dgd's gifts. Get them wrapped, pick up balloons and do a bit of decorating. We want to go to her swim lesson tonight since it's the last one to see how she's doing and possibly get a refund for the last lesson. They are closing the YMCA here, so she'll miss out on one lesson. She had one make up and the other was cancelled, so I want a refund. Now we need to find a new place for lessons. She loves swimming. We'll take the winter off. Then we'll probably take her out to eat after. We'll start her birthday early.

Tomorrow she'll come over for a bit of a surprise party and then go out for breakfast. She'll spend the day with her parents, while I make the cake. After her other lessons she'll come back for pizza and cake. Yes, we spoil her. She's our first and has been very special to us. She says she'll always take care of us when we get old.

Ds wasn't able to get his tickets changed, so he won't be here. Glad we didn't tell dgd. She would have been disappointed.

I have a list a mile long of things to do. I'd better get busy and start doing something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Redmar5 - Please do update us after you make your first real pot of beans. Will you be cooking them in a crock pot or on the stove?

I have beans here but haven't as of yet attempted to cook them but do plan on it soon. I wonder if once they've been cooked if they can be frozen? You know, like it's made into bean soup or something.

Good luck with your attempt and I'm sure they'll turn out fine. Can't wait to hear how it went!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Redmar and others, I read about making dry beans in a rice cooker. I tried it and will be using that method from now on. I hope to give up buying canned beans completely. I think this is the recipe I used. It does not require soaking and cooking time is only around 2 hrs with minimal supervision.
    https://www.food.com/recipe/easy-bea...-cooker-172600

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Freezing Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett_Kaye View Post
    Redmar5 - Please do update us after you make your first real pot of beans. Will you be cooking them in a crock pot or on the stove?

I have beans here but haven't as of yet attempted to cook them but do plan on it soon. I wonder if once they've been cooked if they can be frozen? You know, like it's made into bean soup or something.

Good luck with your attempt and I'm sure they'll turn out fine. Can't wait to hear how it went!
    I freeze dry pinto,red beans,lima beans.white beans all after cooking them.I have found out i don't need t cook white soup beans very long and then freeze them or they are to soft for me,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy Veteran's Day. Thank you to all our Veterans who have served and are currently serving our country.

Today is a cold, windy, snowy day. Yuck!! We were going to go out for dh's free breakfast, but it was too cold. It's still cold, but we do have a few errands today.

Spent about 30 minutes sewing on my quilt today. Got all the blocks sewn into rows and put 3 rows together. I'm liking this 30 minute task I've started. I'm actually getting it done.

Going to UPS to drop off a couple of returns and then picking up dgd. She loves coming to our house and told her parents yesterday she wanted to live here. She's funny.

Not sure what we'll do for dinner. May stop off and pick up something quick or find something here at home. Feels like a tomato soup and grilled cheese kind of day. I may do that and let dh figure out his own dinner. We do need to stop off and get some fresh fruit for the week.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123