Our New Financial Goal...It's A Doozy! - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So, listen to this bit of great news!

We are doing some rearranging of bedrooms in our house because as of right now, our 4 year old sleeps downstairs and the rest of us sleep upstairs. Not a huge deal, but we'd prefer to have all the kids upstairs (away from the front door) and we'll be downstairs. (Yes, we've been here 4 years and are just getting around to this.)

Anyway, the change will mean that we are taking the playroom as our bedroom, his old room will become our exercise room/closet (hard to explain) and our old bedroom will become the new playroom and then Dd will stay put and our two ds's will share a room. However, space is limited, so we've been looking into bunk beds.

Now, I love the bunk beds that have the shelves on the sides and desk space, etc., but who has $500 for that stuff? I've looked on craigslist, etc. and $500 is about the cheapest we're finding for those. So, on a whim, I posted on Freecycle that we were looking for bunk beds.

Guess what? Some woman is looking to get rid of bunk beds! Just regular beds, but free is excellent. Dh and I are driving over tomorrow to check them out. No mattresses, but I think we can spring for those.

So exciting!!!
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AmyBoz View Post

Guess what? Some woman is looking to get rid of bunk beds! Just regular beds, but free is excellent. Dh and I are driving over tomorrow to check them out. No mattresses, but I think we can spring for those.

So exciting!!!
    That is wonderful news, Amy!! I love free!! And free bunkbeds is even better!! I hope they are something you are wanting.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

very good plan !! I'm so excited for you!! We are in th process of doing necessary repairs to our house too & like you we are NOT going into debt for any of them. We are doing 2 big ones this year (roof - just done actually & the patio door - should be installed about 1 week) and paying cash. I can tell you it's an awesome feeling!! We still have 5 windows to replace, an exhuast fan to install in the bathroom & a little work on the kitchen.. but we are in the same boat of you paying cash only. I'll keep checking in - way to go!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Had a great, frugal day here.

The munchkins were all up and crawling into my bed by 5:30/6:00, so I got up and we walked to the big park (it's a bit of a hike, but worth it). Today was dh's last day of vacation, so I wanted to let him sleep in a bit. We stayed at the park for about an hour, and then stopped at the little park on our way home, so all in all, we were out for about 2 hours.

Came home, had breakfast, did Dd's speech therapy exercises, and then we played card games for awhile, then played on the Wii.

I ran to the post office to mail out some things and then came home and we played basketball on the deck and blew bubbles.

We had lunch and then while the boys napped, I rode the exercise bike and watched the end of Season 3 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer while dh and dd played.

Boys woke up, more playing and fun. The kids put on a parade for us which was WAY cute.

Dinner was baked macaroni and cheese which the kids loved, although dh wasn't too thrilled. However, he ate it and didn't complain. I've explained that if we are really going to be blackbelt, he's going to have to eat some things he isn't thrilled with sometimes and not complain. So, he didn't complain.

We're about to put our littlest to bed and the older two are up until 9, as they're having a sleepover together in dd's room tonight. I'll probably read or knit or just hang out with dh after they're in bed.

We freecycled an old rocking toy and I'm glad to have it out of here.

And...the part of the day that moves us incrementally closer to our goal is that we listed our pack-n-play on Craigslist. Hopefully someone will want it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are doing a great job at reaching your goal, Amy. I sure hope someone sees the pack 'n play on Craigslist and buys it. I know if you lived closer that I would buy it for my niece. I purchased one at the beginning of the year for my granddaughter and love it. Now, my niece is pregnant and my sister will need something for when she comes to visit. Sorry for rambling.

I wish you the best on the listing! Hope it sales quickly!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Another good frugal day here.

I sent the boys to daycare for the morning (we had to pay for the entire month of August since the boys were going the first week while I was still working, so it was paid for and it made running errands a little easier for dd and I...also, there was a petting zoo today for daycare, so the boys loved that.)

So, I took dd to Michael's to use her money from her craft sale to purchase her "My First Sewing Kit" but they didn't have any. So, she kept her money and I offered to buy it online with my credit card and have her give us the money when the bill comes. She's thinking about it.

Then, she and I took a hike and did some rock climbing. It was a lot of fun...seriously...a lot of fun. She's a real trooper and climbed like a pro. It was great exercise and, oh, did I mention??? Free!

Then, we got the boys, had lunch and while the boys napped, I did some exercising and she did some work in one of her summer workbooks (her choice, not ours...she loves school).

When they woke up, we played and played. I made beef stroganoff for dinner and baked some chocolate-chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

Now, the kids are playing on the deck, dh is resting on the couch and I'm cleaning up a bit.

Another fun and frugal day! Gotta love it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Unexpected frugal fun today...

Dd and I went to the library to return some Little House on the Prairie movies she had borrowed. When we got there, we discovered they were having an information scavenger hunt! So, she picked up a sheet and we spent a little over an hour searching for the answers to the questions. Some were questions about the actual library, like "What is the summer reading theme" or "Find the juvenile paperback section and write down the titles and authors of two books", some were card catalog based "How many copies of the fifth Harry Potter book does this library hold?" and some were researched based "What was the 2008 Caldecott Award Winner."

It was a lot of fun. They'll call tonight if she is one of the winners. She got a frisbee and color-changing pencil just for participating, so she's already thrilled.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm enjoying hearing about all your small victories. Keep up the good work!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It sounds like you guys are having a ball!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like fun - I hope your DD is a winner!

By the way, add my voice to the chorus of "fix the bathroom first". (I'm sure you've got good reasons for the order in which you plan to do the repairs! I'm just sayin'!)

Good luck! Have a great frugal week!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So, kinda easy to be frugal when you are sick, in bed, as I've been. I came down with icky, yucky nastiness on Wednesday, went to the doctor on Thursday, and she said it was strep. Went on the antibiotic, felt worse on Friday, but am feeling fine, now. In the meantime, we went nowhere, so we spent nothing. I guess that's the upside.

Today, however, I did the weekly shop and am feeling pretty good about it. I spent $58.32 and bought:

3 gallons 1% milk
    1 family pack hamburgers
    2 packages Kraft Singles sliced cheese (they were on sale and the cheapest in the store)
    1 12 pk ShopRite hamburger rolls
    1 package Oscar Mayer shaved roast turkey (I'm still trying to figure out a healthy lunch for myself)
    3 Granny Smith apples
    1 big box Special K
    2 big boxes Cheez-Its (on big sale)
    1 box Nutri-Grain bars (for my breakfast...I'm beginning to think I have milk issues)
    5 plums
    2 bags grapes
    2 bags baby carrots

Got $0.20 back for bringing my own bags and earned three more milk certificates, so next time, I get a free gallon.

I'm making pork chops, rice, and corn for dinner, all of which we already had in the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just wanted to update that I've now also cut dh, dd#1, and dd#2's hair. The boys have never had a store cut and dh hasn't had one in at least 5 years. Big, BIG savings at the rate the hair grows around here! If I didn't know better, I'd think all of those boys were taking prenatal vitamins!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hay i had pork chops for dinner too. i had cabbage and brown rice with mine... made home made shake and bake..it was sooo easy...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So, yesterday was another nice, frugal time. The kids and I went to the park around 8:30, but it started raining on us. We got back in the car and I called my sister-in-law and invited my neice to come over and play. So, we picked her up on the way home and then she stayed and played until around 3. They all got along great and I got some laundry done and some general cleanining.

Then, my Dad took us out to eat. My Mom is away and he wanted to take us out. We went to a favorite local place where kids eat free on Mondays and there is a balloon man/magician. It was cute and fun for everyone.

Today, I'm not sure what we'll be doing. I'm going to be contacting my piano lesson families in an effort to get a schedule together for the fall. Dd also wants to go to Michael's so she can purchase something with her money. They currently have a 40% off one item coupon out there, so I told her it would be fine. She's decided against the My First Sewing Kit because she now knows how to sew. I'll be interested to see what she wants to buy. She's been saving for awhile. I wouldn't be suprised if she left the store empty-handed because she doesn't find something she really wants. She's become very savvy and wise with her money.

We are having my Dad over for dinner tonight and I'm making pasta with sausage and meat sauce. Should be yum!
    Last edited by AmyBoz; 08-26-2008 at 08:50 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yesterday and today was full of more good stuff.

Yesterday, Julia had yet another friend over. We went to the park for 2 hours, we made cake, they played board games, made crafts, etc. Then, my Dad came over and I cut his hair after dinner. We had pasta with meat sauce and sausage. It was delicious.

Today, we went to the library, went for a walk, rode bikes (I use the term "rode" liberally here...there wasn't much riding going on...they're learning), and I cleaned house. My bedroom is sparkly shiny and so much less stressful. The living room is also gleaming with a certain shine.

Shameless plug here...

I'm a BzzAgent. They send me products, I try them out and tell others about them. Some products I like. Some I don't. Today, I used the Pledge Multi-Surface wipes that they recently sent me. LOVE them! My wood looks nourished, all other surfaces that I used it on look shiny and everything looks like new. I was really impressed.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast