Our New Financial Goal...It's A Doozy! - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We also had a very drafty chimney. Very drafty. We put a thick moving blanket over it all winter and we still felt a cold breeze. So we bought an air tight damper that goes on the very top of the chimney. You can still open and close it easily with a pull chain, but it does not let breezes in at all when it is closed. It cost $160 to buy online and dh installed it himself with a little help from my dad. It would be a much cheaper fix than getting the whole thing repaired and you could get it taken care of before winter sets in this year. Good luck! It sounds like you have a good, well thought out plan and I am sure you will be able to meet your goals.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So, I had a wonderful, albeit not frugal weekend. One of my oldest and dearest friends is getting married in September and we went into NYC for a bachelorette overnight. It was low-key and so much fun. There were 6 of us and we went for lunch, had manicures and pedicures, went shopping (I didn't buy anything...don't worry), went to dinner, then went back to her apartment to watch silly movies we watched in high school (think "Shag") and eat popcorn and chips and stuff. Then, the next morning, we woke up and went to brunch to celebrate my other friends birthday. Then, I hopped back on the train and came home. It was SO much fun...seriously, definitely needed before starting back to school tomorrow.

Yesterday we did the first grocery shop of September. You'll remember that my goal is $350 for groceries for the month. I did a good shop yesterday and am hopeful that I have started out the month on a great note. I spent $128.81 and here's what I bought:

2 big boxes of Pampers ($24.99 each, on sale and with a coupon, I paid $17.99 each)
    3 gallons milk $3.29 each (1 gallon free due to promotion)
    2 1/2 gallons Friendly's ice cream (on sale for $2.99 each)
    5 lbs ShopRite popcorn kernels $2.19
    4 jars ShopRite grape jelly ($1.49 each, on sale for $0.99 each)
    20 Dannon Yogurts on sale for $0.50 each
    2 YoCrunch Yogurts (coupons to get them free)
    2 boxes Keebler Sugar Cones ($2.29 each)
    1 big container Country Crock ($3.99)
    1 huge box Mom's Natural Honey Nut Cheerios ($2.59)
    Oscar Meyer shaved smoked turkey ($4.39... but I eat it for lunch)
    2 boxes NutriGrain bars ($2.99 each)
    2 pounds ground beef 93% lean (5.27 each)
    2 bags baby carrots $1.69 each
    2 pounds rigatoni $0.89 each
    2 bags egg noodles $1.79 each
    2 loaves Arnold Whole Wheat Bread $2.50 each
    4 containers Crystal Light raspberry lemonade $2.49 each, on sale for $1.99 each
    2 FREE 20 oz Cokes (with coupon)
    5 granny smith apples $4.81

Total before coupons and sales was: $157.38
    Total After: $128.81

Not bad, not great. But, as I said, hopefully it will keep us for most of the month.

Today, I'm freecycling an umbrella stroller and a double-stroller. We're going to my father-in-laws for a Labor Day barbecue which is free entertainment for the kids.

Right now, dh is playing "War" (the card game) with ds#1, ds#2 is on the deck playing, and dd is playing Pet Vet on the computer. Laundry is going and things are getting done. I'm going to make cookies to bring to the barbecue and then I just plan on relaxing.

Dh and I are excited because Prison Break starts again tonight. We're ready for some new tv.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So, back to work today, although we don't get paid until the 10th. I had to ask daycare if I could wait to pay them the September tuition until Friday because that's when dh is getting paid. (Tuition was due today) We've never, ever been late before, so I'm hopeful that they waive the late fee. Ugh.

I contacted one of my piano lesson families and we're starting up on Saturday again. So, that's an extra $65 a week that will be coming in. That's good news. I need to contact the other families, but I want to make sure I have my meeting schedule at work hammered out first so I know my weekday availability.

On a sad note, dd has strep. I had it a week and a half ago and now she has it. Tomorrow is her first day of school and I don't think she can go because the doctor can't see her until tomorrow, so she won't be on antibiotics until tomorrow so she's still contagious. She's SO upset. I'm hopeful that in the middle of the night, it will all just disappear. Otherwise, we need a live-in to take care of all the sickies around here!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Strep is no fun===glad you are feeling better, sorry dd is sick.....wheres Frugal Nurse when ya need her?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So, today on a rainy Saturday, I taught 3 piano lessons and immediately stopped at the bank to deposit $60.

I have chicken breasts cooking in the crockpot in cream of mushroom soup and will be making noodles to go with it.

I also just baked a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies. I have a whole bunch of cake mixes and cookie mixes that I got for close to free a long time ago. Time to use them up so I don't have to buy snacks for the family. Plus, everyone likes to help in the baking, which is a fun activity for a rainy day.

Julia had her speech this morning and later dh is going to the speech therapists house to fix their computer. It's a nice little system we've got going on there. They are also very good friends of ours, so it's nice to get speech for free for J and it's nice for them to be able to call us and have dh fix their computer when needed.

Don't have much on the agenda today. Looking to freecycle some stuff...I'm ready to pare down my books a little more. A little traumatic as I have already just saved the books that are authors that I love. But, I'm thinking of looking at my James Patterson and saving only the ones that are about a character that he writes about and getting rid of the rest. We'll see.

We've collected candles and flashlights and are ready for any power outtage that we get as a result of the winds that are predicted for today. Other than that...just laundry and general clean up and rest. J wants to paint nails today, so maybe we'll have a little salon while Matty is sleeping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just read Step on a Crack--with a new character. It was so good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just sold $22.00 worth of dvd's to secondspin.com That will go directly to PayPal which is linked to the account that we're using for this challenge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dh did our weekly shop today and spent $63.63. Very proud of him that he stuck to the list and used the coupons I sent him with. So, our goal for the month is $350 and we're up to $192.44.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool beans!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Excellent plans and goals

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So, I haven't had a chance to update lately, but we've still been blackbelting it around here. We got our Property Tax Relief check today...$767.00...that's good stuff. I'll deposit it into our extra account tomorrow...and then I'll write a $1000 check to grad school. They let me pay what I could before the semester began, but now I need to pay the $1000 balance. Ick.

Last Sunday, I did the grocery shopping for the week. Spent $98.74 so my total is now $291.18. With one week left, I think I can stay under the $350 goal for the month.

This coming weekend, however, will, most likely, not be frugal. One of my best friends is getting married at the beach. So, down to Long Beach Island we go. We took Friday off and are going down to spend the day. There is an evening cocktail party and then the wedding is Saturday morning and then a barbecue in the afternoon. We are coming home on Sunday. Parents are babysitting. We've never been away this long, so we're a little anxious. My friend who is getting married actually rented houses for her closest friends, so we don't have to pay for lodging which is VERY generous. Still, I'm sure there will be money to be spent, along with the check we'll write for a wedding gift.

Now, I'm going to make a shameless plug for my about-to-be-wed friends website: http://www.wanderlustproductions.com She's a photographer/artist and the website highlights her stuff and it's where she writes about her worldly travels. I always feel very lucky to have her in my life and I am so happy that she has found her husband-to-be.
    Last edited by AmyBoz; 09-17-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Did the final shop of the month today and only spent $45.35, and so, I am pleased to announce that I FINALLY met my grocery challenge!!! I spent $336.53 for the month of September, which is, obviously, under my goal of $350.00 for September. I'm feeling pretty proud of that.

We had a wonderful weekend with my childhood friends at a wedding at the beach this weekend. The bride and groom put us all up in beach houses and had caterers on hand for two full days, so it was a free weekend (except for the gift) and we had a FABULOUS time. The kids were all good for their grandparents while we were gone, as well. That was good news.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So, today we did the first grocery shop of October. I spent $84.01 and we're set for the week, with some to help us out beyond this week. Just a little stockpiling. In the process, I earned a $5 off your next order coupon (not sure how, but I'll take it!) as well as $10 off my next order for baby bucks (had to buy diapers). So, I'm in good shape for next week.

I taught my piano lessons yesterday morning, however, dh and I have had empty wallets for almost a month, so we split the cash and put it in our wallets. Knowing us, it won't get used, but it still feels good to have a $20, just in case.

I had to break into our special account (the one where we are trying to save our $10,000) to pay the balance of my grad school tuition, that I hadn't been able to afford back in August when it was due. $1503.00...ick, yuck, poo. I'll get some of it back, but not all, as I've will have been reimbursed the full amount the district reimburses for the year. Again, I say ick, yuck, poo.

However, on a brighter note, I've picked up two new piano students, with a possibility for a third. I don't know where I'll fit the third in, but I'll try!

I have an appointment at the consignment shop on Tuesday and I have quite a few things to sell. Hopefully that will bring in a little bit of cash that I can send right to the account. Every little bit adds up!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just mailed in 27 dvd's to secondspin.com and will be getting a paypal payment of $24.00 when they are received. Our paypal is linked directly to the bank account where we are aiming to save the $10,000, so every little bit helps!

Some very good news today!

I've been paying the bills from my surgery as they come in, but apparently, I paid one of the bills before getting the insurance reimbursement, so yesterday, I received a check for $500, but I had already paid that to the surgical group, so this morning, I was able to deposit $500 more into that bank account! It made up for 1/3 of the check I had to write to grad school, so I was feeling pretty good about that!

Now, if we could only get our contract settled and I could get that retro pay check in there, we'd be doing great!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Deposited another $70 today in the account.

Also, I've been doing some frugal Christmas/birthday shopping here on the village! Dd's birthday is in February, so we usually do all the shopping at once and then divvy up the presents between the two events.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast