MrsMcDowell's Money Management Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great job so far. You are on a roll.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMcDowell View Post
    . Gonna pop the buttons off and cut the rest up into cleaning cloths for his car. (He washes his car like it's his dang job).
    It is, so I don't see the problem.
    ~Russ
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The big girl panties got the job done afterall!!!!

As for this furnace. urghhhhhhhhhh. Okay, our furnace is in a little room in our garage. Should not be there. Not up to code. (Just for the record to new homebuyers--V.A. Home inspection is NOT the same as a regular home inspection!) Loses a good 80% of heat that it's producing. We'll have to get a whole new furnace and move it to the basement. HOWEVER, when these ding-a-lings who owned the house before us (i.e. weekend diy-ers), moved the furnace from the basement to the garage, they also messed with ductwork. Our return ducts aren't on the right walls and will have to be adjusted. Some estimates we've received have been as high as 10K. I found a really great heating/cooling business. When they came to fix the furnace last time it cost approx. 800$. The guy told me if we get the furnace moved to the basement, they'll credit that 800$ to our total bill.

It's gonna be spendy-but worth it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Losing that much heat - have you wrapped the ductwork in insulation?

And why do you need a new furnace? Moving the ductwork is expensive, granted, but furnaces can be moved...
    Last edited by Greebo; 08-26-2008 at 11:12 AM.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    Losing that much heat - have you wrapped the ductwork in insulation?

And why do you need a new furnace? Moving the ductwork is expensive, granted, but furnaces can be moved...
    The ductwork that is exposed is wrapped in insulation. Rest is in walls. We need a new furnace b/c no one in the metro won't move an existing furnance.

And member that 800$ repair I mentioned? That was b/c our furnace caught on fire.
    Last edited by McD; 08-26-2008 at 11:24 AM.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cancelled Aflac for approximate savings of 150$ a month!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm telling you girl you got your shi%% together..I would be very proud of you if you were my kid..Honestly you just amaze me with your frugalness and your spunk..I only wish I was your age and know what I know now...I would have probably been ready to retire w/all the fringe benefits on the sides..((HUGS)) until your next update..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am completely jealous. You and your husband got your stuff straight, or are trying to do so, and you're only 23. I only wish I had gotten my act together back then. I commend you for taking the steps to making sure you're being financially accountable. If only every married couple did this, then I'm sure the number one cause of divorce wouldn't exist as badly as it does.

Good for you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MomToTwoBoys View Post
    I am completely jealous. You and your husband got your stuff straight, or are trying to do so, and you're only 23. I only wish I had gotten my act together back then. I commend you for taking the steps to making sure you're being financially accountable. If only every married couple did this, then I'm sure the number one cause of divorce wouldn't exist as badly as it does.

Good for you!

I think you took the words right out of my mouth..I'm not good with wording things the way I would like to but you are right on the money no pun intended..LOL..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Awww guys thanks!!!!! Seriously, the two of you just made my day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Awww guys thanks!!!!! Seriously, the two of you just made my day.

You totally deserve it honey..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You're doing awesome, Nichole! We're all here cheering you on!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default wednesday 8/27/2008

Okay....let's see where to begin. I came home from work last night to a sparkling clean house. My hubby had the day off since he worked way late on Monday and cleaned, did dishes, everything. It was really, really nice.

I got absolutely nothing exciting in the mail, which is always a bummer. I keep hoping that some of my rebate checks will roll in--those get applied straight to debt. I am rather aggravated that a card has been sitting in my mailbox since Saturday waiting for the mailman to take it. AND IT'S STILL THERE!

I think I mentioned yesterday that we cancelled the Aflac Insurance. It's an approximate savings of 150$ a month. That will certainly help my debt snowball.

Made an easy and cheap dinner last night--Mexican lasagna. Used some leftover tortilla shells. The refried beans and the Mexican blend of tomatoes/chillies had been dented on the wayto the grocery store, so I got them at a deep discount. 20 cents for the tomatoes and about 50 cents for the beans. Wanted to use 'em fast. I'm scared enough of botulism to not eat from a way old dented can-but this occurred in the last week, so I figured we were safe. Plus, I have lots of leftovers for lunches.

I brought leftover bbq beef to make a sandwich for my lunch and more of the mini-banana muffins for my breakfast. Need to make more tonight.

It's raining here and the bank is quiet. Since I'm all caught up on my reports and things, I am going to start working on my budget for September. I'm kind of nervous b/c Dh's new job will be switching his paychecks from the 1st and 15th to biweekly. Makes me worried b/c the majority of our bills are scheduled for the 1st and 15th. So I'll be playing with the numbers today to figure out what we have to do to adjust.

Need to go over the August numbers with hubby. While he is quite content to let me handle everything, I want him to see where our money is going and has went. It's really important to me that he be active in this process.

I'm very inspired by Greebo's proclaimation that we can be out of 'bad debt' (i.e. car loans, personal loans) in less than 2 years. That's pretty inspiring to me. Actually makes me wanna do it in less to prove him wrong.

Not much planned for tonight-my last class is winding down. I need to do some dishes, some laundry. Want to play with Wesley for a bit. Will have to make dinner.

DH and I haven't spent any $$ this week, other than some bills going out. YAY!

I printed out the nice comments and words of encouragement from you guys. I'm going to post them in my budget notebook (huge 5 subject notebook-1st tab for the budget, 2nd for savings, 3rd for debt reduction, 4th for Christmas, 5th for misc).
    Last edited by McD; 08-27-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm very inspired by Greebo's proclaimation that we can be out of 'bad debt' (i.e. car loans, personal loans) in less than 2 years. That's pretty inspiring to me. Actually makes me wanna do it in less to prove him wrong.
    You want to prove me wrong by doing it in more than 2 years?

That's wierd...

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    You want to prove me wrong by doing it in more than 2 years?

That's wierd...
    Please.

You said it could be done in 18 months. I wanna do it in 12.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast