How about a change jar challenge?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default How about a change jar challenge?

I'm wanting to build up my slush fund for Christmas money for our oldest kids. Money will be awfully tight this year with having purchased a new van.

I'm going to begin putting all my change in a change jar from now until Dec. 20th, at which time I will divide it up and give to the oldest kids (along with a handmade gift).

I will also be checking it probably every couple of weeks, and posting the amounts here.

Anyone up for a change jar challenge?
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I already divide out our spare change 5 different ways.... vacation fund, Christmas/Birthday fund, sewing machine fund, ds's *piggy* bank, yard sale money.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm game, but I have to admit Gabe spends change with every transaction he makes at a store, so I don't often have a lot of change to add to the jar.

I'll join in though. Will post in every couple of weeks when you do.

Sara

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dave and I are the other way around... he puts it in a jar to save for a rainy day and I take it out and spend it.
    I can try... don't think I'll save much though!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in! I have started this and plan to cash in once a month. I need to put a "use" to it, otherwise I will spend it. Sara, what I do is give paper money no matter what. If my total at the store is 3.03, I give them 4.00 to get the .97 change. Then I put it in my change jar. DH does this and saves about 40.00 per month, but uses it for spending money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by mustang80
    I'm in! I have started this and plan to cash in once a month. I need to put a "use" to it, otherwise I will spend it. Sara, what I do is give paper money no matter what. If my total at the store is 3.03, I give them 4.00 to get the .97 change. Then I put it in my change jar. DH does this and saves about 40.00 per month, but uses it for spending money.
    Gabe will scramble to give the .03 LOL He has change in the car even, just in case he needs it. He's the guy holding up the line to count out exact change to give to the cashier. LOL

Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do the same thing!! LOL You're ok, Gabe!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I put change in the jar, but sometimes we dip into it. Our change goes toward our vacation fund which happens every year in July.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in, but I'm not posting my totals every few weeks. I just can't count it out that often. It's my Christmas money, so I'll post totals in December.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Count me in too!

Actually I've been doing this for a few months. I have a fairly
    large mason jar that is just about full!

Since I'm doing the "cash only thing" for groceries etc, after every
    trip to the store I dump the change in the jar (with the exception
    of about a quarter & a few pennies).

We plan to save ours for vacation money as well.

Another portion of our vacation $ is going to come from leftover
    funds from budget (ex: every 2 weeks I take out $120 for
    groceries, toiletries etc & if any is left over by the next payday
    in the envelope, I put it in vacation fund too). It's fun watching
    it grow.

Jen
    it grow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

( Sorry about my typos above at the end of my post!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I save all my change, and do as Mustang does. No matter the amount I never give exact change. I don't really know what I am saving for, though. I will try to come up with a goal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I've been behind Gabe and Sherry in the supermarket LOL!!! It's ok...I've done it a time or two myself when I KNOW I have the 4¢...I just have to DIG for it
    I mostly write checks though,but for some reason I have a ton of change in my purse.DH uses most of it for drinks at work (they're only 25¢ ) And DD gets some for school...

I do have several penny jars.I need to count them up and cash in...to see how much I have...I just hate rolling them

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WE have several change jars.Ds and dd have change jars for spending money at disney world.Ds gets dimes and dd gets nickles.I know he gets twice as much,but shes been saving for a whole 9 mo before him and gets an allowance each week and he doesn't(duh hes only 17 mo)We save the quarters for disney(and any spare dollars roaming in the dryer(found 2 yesterday!)Then we have one we use for dh to put his change in for our house(won't be much but hey everylittle bit helps

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i am in too. though i wish i had paid attention this morning when i went to the library to get the book i ordered (our library charges $2. for interlibrary loan). and then to the post office i spent most of my change but i can start collecting now just a reason for it. oh christmas sounds good to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast