My October Challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhill View Post
    Well your bathroom cupboard exploits inspired me! I am going to do the same thing tomorrow and start using all those samples I keep on getting. It is far more that my Dd's can use at the swimming pool!
    Boy I would LOVE you stockpile of grain and beans! Where do you buy your supplies? Were they bought in bulk? I haven't found a good source for dried beans and get annoyed with all those small overpriced packages (even though they are still way cheaper than canned they still seem overpriced!).

Hope your back is better tomorrow!
    Hey Holly! My back is starting to feel better...thanks!

We get our pinto beans in 25 lb. bags at Costco. I pick up the rest of them in 1 or 2 lb bags when there's a decent price. I agree...they still seem too "high priced" in the little bags.

We get the rest of our supplies through a co-op up here...has beans, dried fruits, variety of grains, etc. You can only order like 3 times/year...so, it takes some pre-planning. But, good deals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We took our lunch to school (again)...no extras!

Stopped by the grocery store on the way home. Needed bread...got 2 loaves on sale (for $2 each). I picked up one of those jars of "fancy" spaghetti sauce...regularly 3.99, on sale for 3.29...and I had a 1.50 off coupon. It's the Classico kind that comes in the real glass jars (that I like to have for storing leftovers).

We've been doing a lot of sandwiches lately and ended up with several bags of heels... I put them all into one and put that in the freezer...will crumble for "filler" next time I make meat loaf.

Dh wanted leftovers for supper tonight (I LOVE that!! ). I had a plate of plain spaghetti noodles and he had dibs on 'em. hehe He likes 'em with no sauce, a little butter, and some cheese sprinkled on top. So, he's eating up those leftovers... I had some chicken leftover from supper last night. I tossed it in with some ramen noodles and some frozen mixed veggies (that are amongst the freezer-burned stuff in my freezer)...and I had myself some soup for supper.

I took that $30 rebate check from Costco and put it in savings...and also deposited the $75 I found in the freezer. So, there's $105 more in savings!

Walked to/from the other end of campus for my math class...so, got about 25 min of exercise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still feeling totally confused about what degree/career to go for??? I'm going to meet with an advisor for the economics degree on Thursday (already met with the chem advisor). Then we can go for there... I wish there was a flashing neon sign that would tell me what the right decision is.
    Kace - Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

great news, esp about dh and the leftovers! LOL

I myself am think about buying some of those gallon cans of tomato sauce at Sams for $3 a can and adding veggies and canning my own sauce.

I got some nice jars at a garage sale--quart sized at that!

I am really itching to get a year food stockpile started.....

My dd goes to Texas Tech and she walks everywhere and parks her car to save on gas(she lives on campus and is a JR)and one time she caught the free bus that goes around campus and ended up where the future lawyers go and they were all on the bus and I said did you flirt lol!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 6

A no spend day today...drove straight to school and back. We brought our snacks again...

Supper is going to be pinto beans (from dried beans) and corn (from the freezer) with some shredded cheese sprinkled on top and a dollop of sour cream. CHEAP and yummy.

Have a BIG math test tomorrow, so not gonna be working around the house tonight...need to study some more... Well, I need to do dishes...but that's it.

We got snowed on last night...heavy/wet snow...and it took down some trees...knocked out our power for a couple hours. Welcome winter! Time to break out the snow gear! We'll be changing tires on one car this weekend (saving ourselves the tire changing cost of $30-$40) and buying a new set of tires for the other car (cash already set aside).

My back seems to be almost back to normal, so that's good. Unfortunately, now I have the crud that's going around. Sniffles/head congestion/sneezing. Erf... Gonna try to get some extra sleep over the next few days.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 8

Well, a lot has happened since late last night. I got a call from my mom about 11pm... She fell down some stairs!! She's 70, and though very active (still working!) for her age, she's not in the best of shape. So, I went straight over to help her... She has a bruise on her hand, a bruise on her knee, she tweaked her lower back, sprained her right ankle, and broke her left ankle!!! NOT fun!!! She has to go to an orthopedic surgeon...they want her ankles checked more thoroughly since both were hurt and she's older... Poor Mommy!!!

As for our day... We had cereal from the pantry for breakfast...with powdered milk. I pulled some lunch meat out of the freezer a couple days ago...it looked SO freezer burned, but good news! It wasn't! So, we had turkey sandwiches for lunch...there's enough for at least a couple more sandwiches (and I still have 3 more packs in the freezer). I put a tomato on mine...my dad gave me one! I love free stuff!! Supper will be from the pantry, too.

School day again... I took my math test... I hope I passed!! Won't find out until Monday.. We stopped at the library on the way (it's truly on the way, just a turn into the parking lot). I got a couple videos and a book to read in my (haha) spare time. Another no-spend day...

Oh!! We FINALLY got the rest of the refund the college owed us!!! (Dh got an additional small grant, but we'd already paid, then he had added a class...so the balance went to us in cash!). Dh already put it in savings!!!! There's $187 in our pocket!! (Doin' happy dance).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You are doing so well Kace....school can be so stressfull and yet you are still able to do what is necessary to be frugal. WTG. Sorry to hear about your mom...a fall at her age is always a serious affair. I hope she gets good news from the surgeon. Snow already? And her I was complaining that I had to use the heat.... I should just stop my whining!
    I did go through all my samples and organized them, I have a ton of stuff and I am challenging myself to use them everyday....so today I put a soap sample by the sink and used the floss sample and mouthwash, and shampoo and conditioner! Thanks for reminding me.
    Glad your back is feeling better, and I am happy your grant came through...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhill View Post
    You are doing so well Kace....school can be so stressfull and yet you are still able to do what is necessary to be frugal. WTG. Sorry to hear about your mom...a fall at her age is always a serious affair. I hope she gets good news from the surgeon. Snow already? And her I was complaining that I had to use the heat.... I should just stop my whining!
    I did go through all my samples and organized them, I have a ton of stuff and I am challenging myself to use them everyday....so today I put a soap sample by the sink and used the floss sample and mouthwash, and shampoo and conditioner! Thanks for reminding me.
    Glad your back is feeling better, and I am happy your grant came through...
    Great job on the sorting/using samples!! I'm using up bar soap samples, too!

Yup, snow already... Much of it has melted, but we're expecting more in the next day or two... We turned the heat on about a month ago...was down to 26 this evening on the way home from school...brrrrr.... I seriously need to load the cars with extra gloves, hats, etc...and pull out the ice scraper/snow brushes. Dh found one of them, but the other is hiding...erf...

Mom's propped up and readin' books. Gonna set up her laptop for wireless tomorrow so she can at least be 'mobile' that way. The swelling is down quite a bit from yesterday...so, at least there's that...

Thanks for the encouragement!! Means a lot!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Pantry Update

Ok, since I posted pictures of my pantry last month (dingy as it is) I've added some of the things I mentioned earlier in this thread...including 50 lbs of wheat (grain) and 25 lbs of pintos...amongst other things. (The beginning of this month was my "use up everything in the freezer" challenge...still workin' on it! ).

I was going to do the "tidy and pic taking" later, but the mess was driving me nuts!! So here are the pics...and a brief overview of my stockpile...

I've got appx:
    ~ 75 lbs of beans (55 of it is pinto)
    ~ 100 lbs of grain (you can see the BIG brown bag in one of the pics...the 2 white buckets in the back corner there are also grain)
    ~ 25+ lbs white sugar
    ~ 15+ lbs brown sugar
    ~ 35 cans tuna
    ~ 28 cans chicken
    ~ 16 boxes cereal
    ~ 20 lbs oatmeal
    ~ case of ramen
    ~ many boxes of tea
    ~ large canister (and half of another) of hot cocoa (Costco size)
    ~ 3 jars jelly
    ~ 3 large jars pb
    ~ various condiments
    ~ 5 boxes protein bars
    ~ 3 cases refried beans
    ~ 15 boxes mac'n'cheese
    ~10 boxes shells & cheese
    ~ 2+ boxes (Costco/Sams Club size) instant oatmeal
    ~ 3 boxes instant potatoes (it's a non-frugal "cheater" thing, but I use them to thicken frugal soups...does that count?)
    ~ 3 large boxes powdered milk
    ~ near 20 lbs of pasta
    ~12 cans spaghetti sauce

I know I've missed some things, but that's the general overview.
    (This doesn't have any of my H&B/TP/cleaning supplies stockpiles).
    Last edited by Luv2BeFrugal; 10-09-2008 at 04:38 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Your stockpile looks great!! Great job on organizing!
    We need to get another shelving unit for ours as a lot of stuff is sitting on the floor

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay one word to describe your stockpile--WOWSA!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 9

Whew!! What a workout! It's snowing here and the roads are SLICK!! Took a lot more time to get places... Saw a few cars off the roads, but no bad accidents, so that was good...people (for the most part) seemed to be taking it pretty slow.

Well, I met with the economics advisor today, went good...nice guy. Talked to Dh about what he said... I'm going to do that degree program. It would only take me 2.5 years, if I don't do minors...3.5 years if I do. Not bad. The Chemistry degree would be an absolute *minimum* of 4.5 more years (bachelor's)...so, the jobs wouldn't be very good or very high paying. The econ jobs (whether it's actually an economist position, analyst, or statistician) will pay MUCH better. The degree costs less, too...aside from just being shorter...it's anywhere from $200-$600+ per semester LESS than the chem one (no lab fees). He advised me to do the minors *if* we have the ability to keep me in school the year more...allows for far more job opportunities (and earnings) in the future. Dh and I will discuss that more in the coming weeks... So, I went and did the paperwork for the econ degree. All signed up!

Today was definitely a spend day!! We chose/paid for the new tires...they'll be mounted and balanced tomorrow. We got a FANTASTIC deal!!! We were expecting to pay $500-$600 (M&B). We got them for $363!!!!! I'm a very happy camper!!!

We picked up some groceries...yogurt, quite a few boxes of tea (sale), 2 loaves of bread, some veggies for my mom, etc. All came to $37.12.

I had to get a pack of micro-casettes for school. Mom is lending me her little recorder. Dh wanted me to buy a digital recorder (almost $40). I wanted it...but, told him no. The casettes (3 pack) were 4.99.

Also, the minute button on my alarm clock isn't working now!! Erf. So, needed a new alarm clock. Found a battery operated one I liked for 9.99. It runs on 2 AAA's...now I don't have to worry about power outages making me late!

Our brush and scraper (for clearing snow/ice off the car) broke. Grrrr... So, had to get another one...that was 5.56.

So, definitely a spend day. But, got a lot done.

Groceries to date: 52.26/150.00

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are still in shorts with the AC going here.

We still have some flowers blooming and are still mowing the grass!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Stop rubbing it in Cricket!! LOL.

We don't have snow yet, but we have had frost and it is getting colder, it is chilly now even with the sun out.....sigh.....no more shorts and sandals here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Was cooler at 77º today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Day 10 & 11

Not a whole lot going on here...just mega studying...have midterms coming up!

Dh went early yesterday to get the new tires put on. We specifically went over what we wanted...and what we did NOT want (studded tires). The guy there pointed out everything on the paperwork that they would NOT have studs on them. So, Dh gets up at 6am, goes to the tire shop (it's a first come, first serve place)...waits (outside!!!) in the line. They opened up and he left our car for them to put on the new tires we'd paid for. He gets a call around 1pm that they're done and he can pick up our car (keep in mind he is on a VERY tight schedule with his current work load). He arrives, goes in, gets the keys, goes to the car. Decides to look at the tires before leaving (good job!)...THEY STUDDED THEM!!!! GGGGRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! Dh ended up going back in, they had NO unstudded ones left. He had to WAIT AN HOUR while they removed the studs!!!! GRRRR (Does not affect the integrity of the tire). They weren't gonna hurry (told him 1-2 HOURS more of a wait!!) and weren't going to comp us ANYTHING! After I talked to them the car was finished in 30 minutes (acceptable) and we got a 10% REFUND. I was nice, but TICKED. (Vent over).

Dh went to another accounting thing last night...got some free food. Although, they had the nerve to ask $2.75 for a can of soda!!! Uh, NO! So, he ate the food and drank (free) water! But, he had a nice time...so, that was good...and it was only about 2.5 miles from our place, so not too far to drive, either.

I ate misc. leftovers and such yesterday... Didn't go anywhere...kept lights off most of day.

Today we stayed home all day...so, no spend, no drive. Had eggs and toast for breakfast... He had misc stuff for lunch... I had a piece of toast with pb...and a few carrot sticks (carrots were free from my dad).

Supper was FREE! My mom (with her broken ankle) has gotten SO much attention from friends, co-workers, etc... LOADS of food dropped off!!! Goodness!! She gave us a whole thing of meatballs and pasta that someone brought. So, that was our supper...and there's enough leftover for another meal!!

I'm still using the soap samples we got for free... I thought they'd be used up in just a few days (we are compulsive hand washers here), but they're still goin' strong!! Should be a few weeks worth of free soap!! Same deal with the trial toothpastes... Those should be a good 4-6 weeks of toothpaste! Woot!

I've been using free scratch paper from the math lab for all my math homework, too. Sure is making the notebook paper I bought stretch a lot further!! I started keeping the stuff I use and taking it to the recycling bin on campus...less trash to throw away here...and it's better for the environment, too!
    Last edited by Luv2BeFrugal; 10-12-2008 at 02:29 AM.

Inactive
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OMG. I just looked at your stockpile pics and WOW. That's fantastic!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast