Electric Usage Challenge - Page 5
Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

took a reading today and it was 82121, so 56kw used over the last two days. Average of 28kw/day for those two days. Not good at all compared to my other days, but I did have to cut the heat on last night (set thermostat to 63, but it got down to 28 last night), and I forgot to cut off the hot water heater as well, so I guess that is where all the extra came from. UGH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, checking in again!

Last reading was 80771 on 10/18. Today 80828. So my daily avg for the past 3 days is 19 kwh.

I've got 2 more days till my next reading for the bill. If i stay at 19 kwh per day, I will have just barely made my goal with 25.1 kwh per day average for the month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, I'm starting out on this. My meter read 89469 at 11 a.m. today. Will try to check at the same time tomorrow.

I should point out that DH really thinks this is 'far out there' to do this challenge, and is in no way being helpful. Maybe if I show him the actual readings he'll see some sense in all this fuss about electricity use.

Jean

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I should point out that DH really thinks this is 'far out there' to do this challenge, and is in no way being helpful
    I think my DH thinks I've gone bonkers as well. I didn't mention that I was keeping track of our meter at first, but I keep my notepad where I write down the readings by the computer in plain sight for anyone to see. He hasn't really said anything about it except that I reminded him of his dad who spent his whole childhood following him around turning off lights after he left a room. On the other hand, when the weather was warmer, he was very good about not turning the a/c on until the temps inside the house got above 78ish, so I gotta give him props for that

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

reading today: 82140. 19kw used in last 24 hours. averaging 18,9 kw/day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

LOL! Well, we've determined I don't know how to read an electricity meter! DH and I had a "discussion" about the reading. Apparently he just read it this morning and had a different reading (lower) than I had yesterday. So I made him go outside and show me how to do it properly. He hauled out a stepladder (!!!) and made me climb it so I could look straight on at the thing...yep, our electricity meter is a few feet off the ground. It doesn't help that I'm short! Anyway, the revised readings?

79469 yesterday
    79474 today

Yep, that's 5 kwH. Don't ask me how we do it. We just do. We don't heat with electricity, for those of you who are falling off your chairs at the moment. And our water is heated with natural gas.

Jean

[edited to add: Had DH show me how to read the natural gas meter as a result of this. Now that one I'm interested in tracking regularly! Our rates just went up 20%.]
    Last edited by peanut; 10-22-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't checked in here for a while- sorry!

average for the last 2 days has been 22 kwh- yikes! Not happy with that! But overall, since the last bill, my daily average has been 20.71 kwh. Not too bad.

My meter gets read by the electric company on Monday the 27th. That will be 33 days on the bill. The only reason I have a problem with the differing number of days per bill, is that the rate is on a tiered system. On months when they wait an extra few days, you are likely to be charged a higher tier price for the last few days' of usage than if it had been charged on the next month's bill. Oh well, I am still doing much better than last month. Last month my daily average was over 32 kwh!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hmmm...must have just plain had a weird reading the first day I did this. Today's reading was 79487.

79474 - 79487 = 13 kwH

I did notice power bars were left on last night though.

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Reading after the last two days is 19529...which works out to 13.5 kwH per day. I won't have Internet access for a week to 10 days, so will not be posting for awhile.

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, it's been awhile since I've checked the meter!

10/21 - 80843
    10/27 - 80972

Daily avg for that time period: 21.5 kwh. Not to shabby

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi All,

I am too late to start this challenge this month but are you all going to continue this challenge in Nov. We are really feeling the crunch and are trying super hard to be frugal.

Best wishes,
    Shannon

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, haven't been out to check my meter in awhile, but I did get our utility bill for the last month and looks like my efforts paid off a bit. We averaged 25kwh, which was down from 45 kwh the previous month (but considering that we used very little a/c during that time, it wasn't that hard to do) I was bummed to see that usuage was just about the same aslast year, but I had to remind myself that we were out of town for a week during that time, so that has to count for something!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just challenged myself to bring down the cost of my bill about a month ago. Decided to unplug everything we can at night or when not in use to see if that helped. Also started hanging clothes to dry instead of putting them in the dryer. Our bill this month was $62 less than the month before. So, maybe it is working.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

good job yban.....lets get this thread going again...how bout it ??? i have been recording the meter readings for the past 6 weeks.... i'll start....come on guys...follow suit...THIS IS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD !...

my current reading as of 8am this morning... 9652 kw
    i currently have used 206kw (i am 1/2 way thru the month)
    i am averaging 12.5kw per day....

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

reading today at 7am:

current usage is 214....that's up 12 kw from yesterday...i am actually at the point where i know exactly where the usage went....

dh's tv on 6 hrs.... 1kw for every 3 hrs
    elect blanket on 8 hrs..... 2.5 kw for every 12 hrs
    refrig (guestimation) 4 kw per 24 hrs
    cable box 1 kw per 24 hrs
    all x-tras 2.5kw per 24 hrs
    (lights, micro, coffee pot,
    toaster, computer/modem)

how's that for knowing EXACTLY what you are using....hey...i have this to a 'science' now....

this electric blanket thing is 'killing' me....tomorrow i am heading out for some 'polar fleece sheets' thanks guys for the info....

as for the gas....i am at 42 therms for the month...(only furnace and water heater on gas).....furnace hasn't run in three days....reading has gone up 1 therm since thursday...(water heater on lowest setting...no running dishwasher, cold water washer) 'quickie' showers for dh & I... Yea!

will SOMEONE...PLEASE play with me ?????????

“After the last tree has been cut down, after the last river has been poisoned, after the last fish has been caught.
    Only then will you find that money can't be eaten.”

~ Cree Indian Prophecy

Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast